Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC installation questions

• 16-12-2011 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey just wondering I'm getting upc this week and I just wanted to know what the procedure is for installing the service. Never had UPC before but I've had sky, do they have to feed the wire into the house and is that a big job or is it quite simple?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

If you can see a UPC box installed in the house from before it's a self-installation.

If not, they'll just drill a small hole into the house, run wires through and install the UPC box on the inside, shouldn't take more than 20 mins. It's €60 (ish?) to get them to install, free if you take the boards UPC offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Going on past experience with UPC, they'll make it seem like a big job. Run cables across skirting boards without trying to hide them, and drills loads of holes, and generally be untidy and not really care.

BUT, the broadband is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

ratedR wrote: »
    Going on past experience with UPC, they'll make it seem like a big job. Run cables across skirting boards without trying to hide them, and drills loads of holes, and generally be untidy and not really care.

BUT, the broadband is good :D

Disagree with this, very clean and quick installation both times I got it in.

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Disagree with this, very clean and quick installation both times I got it in.

Well, that's the difference with personal experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well, that's the difference with personal experience.

I never had an issue with installation it was very professional. Now the sky lad that put my multiroom in. That guy was a joker, ive never seen anything so lazy before. I actually removed everything he did and re-installed. the guy even drilled through the PVC window frame to feed the cables in it was a mess.

He was lucky i wasnt home at the time (left it in the hands of others)

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I never had an issue with installation it was very professional. Now the sky lad that put my multiroom in. That guy was a joker, ive never seen anything so lazy before. I actually removed everything he did and re-installed. the guy even drilled through the PVC window frame to feed the cables in it was a mess.

He was lucky i wasnt home at the time (left it in the hands of others)

Funnily enough the one time Sky came to us the guy was very neat and tidy. We've probably had UPC out 3 or 4 times over the years and they just didnt care.
    It's all sub contracted anyway isnt it, so a lot of the time it's hard to get any satisfaction out of either party, with each pointing to the other. In my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

UPC will run new wiring outside and install a UPC point wherever u want it.. bout a 15 min job.
    I have to say they were messy when mine was being installed, left plaster dust on skirting and on floor but apart from that i'm happy enough, great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Funnily enough the one time Sky came to us the guy was very neat and tidy. We've probably had UPC out 3 or 4 times over the years and they just didnt care.
    It's all sub contracted anyway isnt it, so a lot of the time it's hard to get any satisfaction out of either party, with each pointing to the other. In my experience anyway.

That could be the key, they've improved massively over the past few years except maybe for billing which is still a bit NTL esque .....but the overall service and what they provide is pretty much spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I found them quite good with there installation

Advertisement