Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minerals

• 16-12-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What should i give to suckler cows and heifers over the winter,they are all housed and on good quality silage.Where is best to buy in bulk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

fear tuath wrote: »
    What should i give to suckler cows and heifers over the winter,they are all housed and on good quality silage.Where is best to buy in bulk.

We feed incalf heifers and cows a pre calver mineral. We buy it in 25kg bags, so I dunno about buying in bulk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Bizzum wrote: »
    We feed incalf heifers and cows a pre calver mineral. We buy it in 25kg bags, so I dunno about buying in bulk!

How much per head per day of the 25kg bag should be given to cows due to calve in Jan and Feb?

LivInt20 wrote: »
    How much per head per day of the 25kg bag should be given to cows due to calve in Jan and Feb?

I think, off the top of my head it's 100g/head/day.
    I'm sure it would depend on the analysis of different mixtures/brands.
    It's all on the label!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

Bizzum wrote: »
    I think, off the top of my head it's 100g/head/day.
    I'm sure it would depend on the analysis of different mixtures/brands.
    It's all on the label!

Thanks for the reply.

And how many days would you feed the mineral for?

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

And how many days would you feed the mineral for?

6 or 8 weeks pre calving I suppose. Once the cows come onto the slats We would have a bucket available to them. Then move them onto the loose pre-calver mineral as the get to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i bought the mineral block - calsea precalver( i think)... i put a holder up on the wall, put the block on it- there is a hole in the middle of the block- great for people who cant be bothered to actually read the label on the bag:o- a block does 40 dry cows about 12-14 days , very little work involved, got them from t-mac agri. Alot cleaner than the buckets etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The last year we had cows we used the Mayo Healthcare minerals that you put on the drinkers. Found it a
    Very effective way of getting them done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i use a mineral from nutribio in cork it works through the water

Advertisement