Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Admit it, Retro games are 100% more awesome than todays games

• 16-12-2011 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Why only this morning was I playing Streets Of Rage on my PC :D

Who needs Call Of Duty when you are facing off against Mr. X in his mafia lair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I won't admit anything until I find a retro game as large and immersive as skyrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BoardsUser836

I won't admit anything until I find a retro game as large and immersive as skyrim.

Haven't played that...but I've heard of it! Touche!! I must download it for looks.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Try Zelda A Link to the Past or Boulder Dash

Many hours to be lost on both :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Try Zelda A Link to the Past or Boulder Dash

Many hours to be lost on both :)

No game breaking bugs either...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, retro games are not immune to such things, Jet Set Willy had one of the worst, a bug that stopped you from progressing past The Banyan Tree.

And remember kids, in 15/20 years time, Uncharted will be retro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Three words for you:

Dick Tracy. C64.

:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, retro games are not immune to such things, Jet Set Willy was overrated , but still fapped over by spectrum owners as a slow moving, badly jumping, jellbaby look alike wandering through a load of bugged screens was better than most of the pastel hued crap they normally played!
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nethack.

Looks nicer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

to be fair, theres a lot of games out this year that were ****e, and last year. infact bar about 10 ps3 games ive really gotten into i reckon good gaming has been declining since the ps2/xbox/cube days,everything is shorter, less immersive, more emphasis on multiplayer.

that said theres still a handful of good modern games.

so, whos the first one to shoot me down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There are still great games being made, you just have to look for them a bit harder I think. Gaming has become even more mainstream - so the blockbuster games are getting even MORE media coverage than they did before. It really overshadows smaller releases.

Dark Souls for example was as good if not better than anything I ever played on the PS2. And I got about 70-80 hours out of the thing. (with the possibility of a lot more to go if I'm to play through the + games)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, retro games are not immune to such things, Jet Set Willy had one of the worst, a bug that stopped you from progressing past The Banyan Tree.

Whoever actually got that far for it to be an issue? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I didn't, that's for sure.
    The previous game, Manic Miner, was a far better game imho, it was tighter, with one sheet levels that had definite solutions and a lot of fun.
    Most people gave up on JSW and it's sequels as, after a time, they just became a slog.
    If you were like me, and many were surprisingly, you'd have then entered a poke command and removed the collision detection with enemies so you could see the rest of the game.

Point is though, despite the prevailing feeling around here that retrogames are like the best thing since sliced bread, the fact is we don't remember the utter sh1te that various companies tried to foist upon us throughout the 80's, 90's and up to the present date.
    Be it Pacman on the 2600, Chase HQ on the C64, Rise of the Robots on every format it was made for, Streets of Rage, and later stuff like Auto Modelista, R:Racing, Star Wars Bounty Hunter, most Sony FPS attempts, and so on.
    There is no respite from terrible games.

I can see, however, that the PS2 period of dominance, a long time at that, from 2001 to 2007/8, was replete with pretty awesome games, both on the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.
    That gen of consoles was very very productive and, tbh, the "innovations" introduced by the following and now current gen are pretty poor, motion controls have turned out to be good from nothing in particular, nor camera based games.
    We saw it in the previous gen with the Eyetoy sucking and were promised with extra processing power we'd see what it could really do and, well, we're still waiting.
    The extra visual muscle has been put to poor use also, outside of racing titles.
    Most of the most interesting games appeared on the older consoles or lower powered ones, so Okami/Okami-den, Killer 7, No More Heroes, Ico, SOTC.

So gameplay has really floundered while visuals have graced us like suger frosting on a turd, stand up Resistance games please.

I can honestly say, as a player of most gens, that there are great games, on all consoles, in all times when games have been played, and equally in the shadowy background, are truly awful games on every single format you can imagine....

Even on the Atari Jaguar! (I'm looking at you AvP!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Why only this morning was I playing Streets Of Rage on my PC :D

Who needs Call Of Duty when you are facing off against Mr. X in his mafia lair.

Why has no one pointed this out yet?!

NEVER PASS UP A CHANCE TO POST THAT SONG!

Advertisement