Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on regaining sleep habit

Options
  • 16-12-2011 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

We would appreciate some advice with a problem we are having?

I'll start off with a bit of background to our situation. Our daughter is now 10 months old but for the first 6 months or so she slept with my wife in our bed (I was out of the country working for the majority of that time), we then put her into a crib in our room and despite a few initial problems it was a relatively smooth transition. We kept this arrangement until around 2 weeks ago.

Then 2 weeks ago we emigrated and were staying in a hotel for the first ten days while we arranged an apartment, furniture etc. We travelled for 24 hours and due to this and the time difference we let her sleep in the bed again while in the hotel as she was unsettled.

Now we have moved into the apartment and put her in her own room in a crib again but when we put her down she starts to bawl and stands up at the side of the crib. We've been going in and lying her down again and leaving relatively quickly but she just gets up and starts screaming almost straight away again. In the end we have to stay in there 20 minutes or so to soothe her and wait for her to sleep before sneaking out of the room.

Basically we are wondering how we can get her back to sleeping without all the drama and get some displine into the sleeping routine. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

We have to hold our 11month old until she is fast asleep and then put her down on her cot. We've been doing this for a few months now unless she feeds to sleep. If we just put her in the cot or even if she's wake enough to realise she's been put down she starts to cry.

In the last couple of weeks we have found that she is going to sleep more quickly so might only have to hold her for 5mins. We've also put a single bed in her room so that we sit or lie down while holding her.

It sounds like your daughter needs the extra security of holding with all the changes she's been through lately. I suppose what I'm saying is maybe accept that this is what she needs for now and hopefully it will only be for a short period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You could try sitting on a chair reading in her room, while she settles herself, if she settles herself. If that works you could move to outside her room then away from the door etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

In the end we have to stay in there 20 minutes or so to soothe her and wait for her to sleep before sneaking out of the room.

We moved house when my fella was 14 months, and he was in our room for a good while while we got the rest of the house sorted. It took quite a long time to get him used to his new room, and bedtime was like yours spent lying down with him to get him to sleep.

I think you will jsut have to continue giving the extra help to get used to going to sleep in her new surroundings. Hopefully you will find that it will get easier but as you know with babies they are just one phase after another and you never relaly know what's going to happen next.

Best of luck with evyerthing;)

Advertisement