Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOYMASTER DUN LAOGHAIRE CLOSING DOWN

Options
  • 16-12-2011 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Toymaster will be closing down on the 31st of december. sorry to see it go after 20yrs in the shopping centre. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Anything to back this up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'll be very sorry to see that go if its true :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'll be very sorry to see that go if its true :(

Me too. It was kind of the anchor store for the top floor as well as being a good toy shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Was kind of expensive but you could sometimes get unusual variations on toys being offered elsewhere. Sad to see yet another shop close.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Popped in at lunch to buy some presents and the lady behind the counter confirmed the bad news. By the sounds of it, it's relatively new information for the staff also as the poor women was clearly very upset by the closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Sad to see it go.
    Are they going to be selling off the stock cheap?

21/25

A lot of it has been reduced for a good while now, I noticed the stock levels starting to dwindle a couple of weeks ago but just assumed it was due to christmas. I would imagine the good stuff will be returned to suppliers or other shops in the chain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Jaysis, terrible news. It used to be the highlight of my Saturdays as a kid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Victor wrote: »
    Anything to back this up?
    Was in the shop when the owner was there,When i went back later the staff were upset and I asked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

uch wrote: »
    Sad to see it go.
    Are they going to be selling off the stock cheap?

Didn't take long for the vultures to start circling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Another one bites the dust in the shopping centre.
    To be honest, it doesn't really come as a surprise. I went down one evening during the week to pick up some toys, and found that Toymaster was closed at 6pm, whereas nearly every other shop was open till 8, and this is despite it being the busiest shopping period of the year.
    Seems like the overall management of the store is nowhere as good as it used to be, they've had the same layout for years now and it does look slightly run down. With the competition of Smyths and others they really should have upped their game.
    Sad to see it go, think some of the staff have been there for years. One wonders how long the top level of the shopping will remain open for business...

crushproof wrote: »
    Another one bites the dust in the shopping centre.
    To be honest, it doesn't really come as a surprise. I went down one evening during the week to pick up some toys, and found that Toymaster was closed at 6pm, whereas nearly every other shop was open till 8, and this is despite it being the busiest shopping period of the year.
    Seems like the overall management of the store is nowhere as good as it used to be, they've had the same layout for years now and it does look slightly run down. With the competition of Smyths and others they really should have upped their game.
    Sad to see it go, think some of the staff have been there for years. One wonders how long the top level of the shopping will remain open for business...
    One of the staff is there since it opened, The staff have always been very helpful. A lot of the old leases are up march 2012 I doubt the top level will last beyond that.

Mr Magners wrote: »
    thanks on behalf of the staff,more jobs gone and three of those young girls have mortgages.

blossom180 wrote: »
    thanks on behalf of the staff,more jobs gone and three of those young girls have mortgages.

I'm not sure why you quoted my post?

I'm not sure why you quoted my post?
    Hi,it was in regard to the word vultures.

blossom180 wrote: »
    Hi,it was in regard to the word vultures.

Still not sure why you quoted me.

I used the word vultures in relation to the poster asking would they be selling off the stock when the news was only a few hours old.

It was in no way at all referring to any of the staff or the terrible situation in which they've been put only a week before Xmas.

Still not sure why you quoted me.

I used the word vultures in relation to the poster asking would they be selling off the stock when the news was only a few hours old.

It was in no way at all referring to any of the staff or the terrible situation in which they've been put only a week before Xmas.
    Sorry if you thought i was implying something bad about your post.It was the opposite,I was trying to thank you for your post about the op asking about goods been sold off. Apoligies for wording it in the way i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

damn its still there mannn i forgot all about toymaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Was a simple question smartar$e, my kids are grown up I've no need for toys.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

This is more end of life than a closing down for other reasons. The lease is up, operator has choice to take a new lease or walk away.

Operator also has Toymaster on Mary Street and other interests and probably finds the dun laoighaire shop has had its day ad quite sensibly had decided not to renew the lease.

Staff would have had a long notice of this.

I'd see it as both a sad time and a celebration of 25+ years of supplying all sorts of toys to the local market.

BTW - the original owner moved on a good few years ago and is Toy Buyer for a major chain of stores.

Was a simple question smartar$e, my kids are grown up I've no need for toys.

So why ask the question then? Seems like a strange thing to do.

To be honest I don't think I was too far off the mark with my vultures comment.

maxer68 wrote: »
    This is more end of life than a closing down for other reasons. The lease is up, operator has choice to take a new lease or walk away.

Operator also has Toymaster on Mary Street and other interests and probably finds the dun laoighaire shop has had its day ad quite sensibly had decided not to renew the lease.

Staff would have had a long notice of this.

I'd see it as both a sad time and a celebration of 25+ years of supplying all sorts of toys to the local market.

BTW - the original owner moved on a good few years ago and is Toy Buyer for a major chain of stores.
    The staff did not have long notice of losing their jobs,and of all the years of working and being loyal to their boss not so much as wishing them well .

So why ask the question then? Seems like a strange thing to do.

To be honest I don't think I was too far off the mark with my vultures comment.

To be honest you don't know what you're talking about.

Why would it seem strange to ask if a shop thats closing down is selling off it's stock cheaply ?

21/25

To be honest you don't know what you're talking about.

Why would it seem strange to ask if a shop thats closing down is selling off it's stock cheaply ?

I used the word vultures in relation to your comment because within hours of the news breaking that the store was closing down you asked would they be selling stock cheap. To me that smacked of vulture behaviour.

It seems strange for somebody whose children have outgrown toy shops to be asking if a toy shop is selling off their stock cheap, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I used the word vultures in relation to your comment because within hours of the news breaking that the store was closing down you asked would they be selling stock cheap. To me that smacked of vulture behaviour.

It seems strange for somebody whose children have outgrown toy shops to be asking if a toy shop is selling off their stock cheap, that's all.

I don't even had kids but would also have liked to have known if stock was being sold off cheap, whats wrong with keeping an eye out for a bargain?

It's not like me or Uch feeling sorry for the employee's would have made any difference!

Fair enough so, no harm done I suppose

21/25

Advertisement