Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery issue with mail

Options
  • 16-12-2011 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

I stayed in a hotel last weekend,and foolishly left my phone behind when I checked out on Monday morning. When I got home I realised I had left it, and rang the hotel from my gf's phone. The receptionist said that it had been found and that it would be put in the post the following morning (Tuesday). As of this morning it hasn't arrived, I've spoken to my postman who said it would definitely have arrived by now had it been sent (his exact words when I said it had been sent on Tuesday morning were "They're lying to you").I spoke to the same receptionist again, who said that the phone had been sent out in a padded envelope, and wasn't registered. When I first contacted them,I offered to pay any costs associated with mailing it out but they said it wasn't a problem, I would have assumed it would have been registered.What exactly are my rights here - I'm going to speak to the hotel manager about it later this morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You have no rights. If your phone doesn't turn up then it's lost, by your own fault. No one else is responsible for that.

As to the postman saying the hotel are lying, how would he know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

jor el wrote: »
    You have no rights. If your phone doesn't turn up then it's lost, by your own fault. No one else is responsible for that.

As to the postman saying the hotel are lying, how would he know that?

Well, he wouldn't know that,obviously - I think he was making the point that it would have been delivered by now.

My only issue here is that it was sent out unregistered,I would have happily paid to have it registered or even couriered out to me if necessary.It seems to me like a lack of courtesy on the part of the hotel,I know I have no legal rights so I'm just venting really.I'll try and call the manager anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I stayed in a hotel last weekend,and foolishly left my phone behind when I checked out on Monday morning. When I got home I realised I had left it, and rang the hotel from my gf's phone. The receptionist said that it had been found and that it would be put in the post the following morning (Tuesday). As of this morning it hasn't arrived, I've spoken to my postman who said it would definitely have arrived by now had it been sent (his exact words when I said it had been sent on Tuesday morning were "They're lying to you").I spoke to the same receptionist again, who said that the phone had been sent out in a padded envelope, and wasn't registered. When I first contacted them,I offered to pay any costs associated with mailing it out but they said it wasn't a problem, I would have assumed it would have been registered.What exactly are my rights here - I'm going to speak to the hotel manager about it later this morning.

You have the right to be annoyed and upset but that's about it I'm afraid.
    The hotel did what they agreed to do (even though they weren't obliged to do anything) and you assumed that meant they would use registered post. From what I can see you have no claim against the hotel or an Post.

Speak to the manager but I suspect the most they'll do is double check it was posted. Also it's Christmas, An Post are busy, perhaps wait and see if it arrives next week or have your operator block the phone. Fingers crossed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It may just be delayed in the post. Could take a few more days to arrive yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Thanks guys.

Hopefully it is just delayed,despite the official line I've been getting from An Post staff,a guy I know who worked there said it's a mad house this time of year with the priority being to make sure all mail is cleared by Christmas Eve,regardless of the order of when it was sent (which is fair enough). In any case,it seems like it's not so much a consumer rights issue as a matter of courtesy on the part of the hotel (which is a pretty good,4 star hotel).I'll hang on until the start of next week before I do anything,no calls have been made from my phone since I left it behind and I have insurance luckily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Why not ring it to see where it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

it is christmas so it might just be delayed..

I would kick up an almighty comotion with the hotel...

You dont really have any rights but you could kick up a fuss and demand compensation saying that you want proof the phone was sent or else you believe it was stolen by a staff member..

You might just get something outa them saying they carelessly sent your phone into the open world unregistered.. free weekend stay maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I posted two letters on Monday, 05 December to local addresses and neither arrived at their destination. I contacted An Post who said that there is nothing they can do if the letters were not registered. So you are not the only one who has had this experience. I never encountered the problem before but to have two letters not arrive at their destination is very odd to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    I have insurance luckily.

Check the T&C's of the policy, it more than likely won't cover your phone now. You generally have to report it lost within 24 hours and that's long gone by now.

Advertisement