Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting info at a crime/crash scene?

• 16-12-2011 10:37am

Howdy all,

Just wondering how information is usually gotten from emergency services about the place, regarding a crime or accident scene?

Is it generally just a case of approaching the least-busy looking Garda and hoping for the best? Or just taking your photos, moving on, and then giving the Garda station a ring the following morning?

I realise that most photojournalists will probably be on fairly good terms with the emergency services after a while as they begin to get familiar with each other popping up at such scenes, but I'm just curious what the general etiquette is regarding seeking out information on the crash/robbery/etc. you've stumbled across?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

Howdy all,

Just wondering how information is usually gotten from emergency services about the place, regarding a crime or accident scene?

Is it generally just a case of approaching the least-busy looking Garda and hoping for the best? Or just taking your photos, moving on, and then giving the Garda station a ring the following morning?

I realise that most photojournalists will probably be on fairly good terms with the emergency services after a while as they begin to get familiar with each other popping up at such scenes, but I'm just curious what the general etiquette is regarding seeking out information on the crash/robbery/etc. you've stumbled across?

Press Office is the correct procedure & I believe you have to be an accredited journalist, however, you might get an unofficial quote from an officer at a collision scene. Crime scenes tend to be harder as information may be limited due to the severity of the crime for fear of impeding the investigation or otherwise known as "Operational Reasons".

Emergency Services are instructed not to speak to Press and the likes etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Or just taking your photos, moving on, and then giving the Garda station a ring the following morning?

It's too late by then as it's old news.

If you can then ask at the scene - Ring the Garda Press Office - I've also gotten info from the radio later in the day when the incident has been on the news but unless it's pretty major then you won't get anything this way.

You should caption the pics and send them anyway even if you have very little information. Caption them as best you can with as much info as you can but don't put in anything unless you are 100% certain it's true. I've done this a few times and they've been printed. If the paper wants more details from you they will ring you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

it all depends on the scene .... motor crashes tend to be cleared up fairly quickly (even fatal ones).... in general you don't get much information about crashes unless there has been a fatality.

but if there's someone around .... just ask... worst case they can tell you they don't know or cant/wont tell you.

if the accident is fairly serious and there has been a fatality or number of fatalities then the details will be released fairly fast and will be all over the radio/websites ..."there's an accident in X spot...big tailbacks, avoid the area if at all possible"

As for a crime scene... there's always a helpful person around who wants to tell ya what they saw or heard..its just a matter of being lucky enough or observant to find them.... (murder scenes or robberies, fatal assaults)

Cheers guys. Appreciate the replies. May just try asking at the scene for any future stuff I happen across. Have dealt with the press office before, though it was about something completely different (getting a lend of a Garda car) so may try them in future and see how hard they laugh down the line at me. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be very wary about the general concept of hanging around such a scene, asking questions, etc.; i'd say the gardai have enough fun with rubberneckers without having to deal with someone with no press affiliation nosing around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement