Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Private sale: Paid deposit, got receipt, now seller doesn't want to sell.

• 16-12-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Yesterday I paid a small deposit for a car (It's a private sale), was due to call around this morning with the rest of the money, but he rang and said he no longer wants to sell it.

I think he may have gotten a higher offer in the meantime, I have a receipt from him which says I paid a deposit for the car (includes reg etc) and that x amount is remaining.

What is my play here? I asked him if it was a money issue and he said it wasn't but it just seems weird, yesterday he was keen to get it off his hands.

Can I ask him to write a sworn note to say that I have first option at the same price if it is sold within the next 3 months? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Luke

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

My advice would be to get your deposit and move on.

Very little you can do and more hassle than its worth.

A deposit is more to stop you, the buyer, from pulling out for the purchase, not the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

pippip wrote: »

A deposit is more to stop you, the buyer, from pulling out for the purchase, not the seller.

Thanks,

I feckin' hate buying cars!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

pippip wrote: »

He's probably gazumping you, but theres little you can do bar trump the counter offer you suspect he's gotten......but if i were you, I'd get my deposit back, and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

I suggest writing a strongly worded letter of complaint explaining that the culmination of these events is incurring your great displeasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Let him keep your deposit and take a few parts of his car worth the deposit amount. That'll learn him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I would think that you have a contract with him to sell the car that he is trying to get out of. You could seek legal advice but to be honest I'd just take the money and run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks all, I'm going to take the money back,.

shoutman wrote: »

Can I ask him to write a sworn note to say that I have first option at the same price if it is sold within the next 3 months? Any thoughts?

You can ask him but he'd more than likely break his arse laughing at you. If he did sell the car then the following day what would you do? Bring the sworn statement to the chap who bought it.......to a solicitor........the Gardai.......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

OP your one and only option is get your deposit back and look for another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It's a buyers market op, unless it's something exotic/rare? Chances are you'll find something better, it's normally the case that you buy a car then the following week something better pops up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Gary ITR wrote: »
    It's a buyers market op, unless it's something exotic/rare? Chances are you'll find something better, it's normally the case that you buy a car then the following week something better pops up :D

Not any more for certain cars, especially small cc and under 3k with test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Gary ITR wrote: »
    It's a buyers market op:D

you're so wrong...........:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Last year my friend paid a a mechanic to check over a car for him. The car turned out to be ok and the fella selling it says he is not sure he wanted to sell then. Little arsehole after my friend paid a mechanic 60 quid to check it for him. Similar situation to op, it is a pain alright.

Advertisement