Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good hotel in Kildare

Options
  • 16-12-2011 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, was thinking of taking the missus on a christmas night away to Kildare and was looking for a few recommendations on hotels if anybody has them?

Whats the Westgrove like for example?

I had a quick scan but didnt see any thread that covers this on the front page so apologies if there is a thread on hotels here somewhere :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Ciarachino

Westgrove is a nice spot but you should look at Carton House in Maynooth. Always a buzz around the place and their is a lot more to in the town there than in Clane(Not knockin Clane here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Try www.tripadvisor.com

It's a great site for checking out places but remember it's often those who have a bad experience that put in the comments.

Check out Killashee Hotel just outside Naas on the Kilcullen Road.
    Also Barberstown Castle near Straffan and the K Club nearby in Straffan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You won't find better than The Village at Lyons.
    A beautiful little spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 coolpaddy

The Westgrove is a grand place. Nice food, good service. Was at a wedding there a few months back and really enjoyed it. Decor is nice too. Boards Deals are actually doing an offer today. I think it's €64 for B&B for two people and late check out. There's a discount in the spa too.

There are nicer places but you'll pay for them. Killashee House Hotel outside Naas is a beautiful spot. It's fine if you're looking to go away for the night and chill out. If you're looking for a bit more exciting night life there isn't a whole lot of choice unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Depends on your budget.
    Carton house is gorgeous but expensive,Dunboyne castle is only down the road and there are often pigsback offers for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Have to agree with Moonbeam here - Some of the places mentioned here are incredibly lavish, but You do pay for the privelidge of staying there.

Enjoy the break OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Should be promoting business within Kildare I suppose, but 2 other Hotels worth mentioning that are slightly outside Kildare and have been to recently are The Heritage just outside Portlaoise (not the one in the town) and Castleknock Hotel & Country Club. Excellent experiences overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Westgrove...good location for exploring Kildare...some good pubs in Clane but Naas may have more life....hotel itself is only OK...I'd class it a good 3 star rather than a 4 star...but opinions here may obviously differ

Barberstown Castle is full of its own self importance....its food is, IMO...over priced and nothing special at all....you'll find it erm....sedate....that's what ure looking for then fine....:)

Haven't been to Kilashee for a long time but in its day it was a cracker of a hotel..lovely grounds, rooms and food....see what trip adviser says about it..

Village at Lyons...if ure a foodie and want a total get away from it all sort of experience then certainly consider it....it isn't cheap and there's nothing else around there but they know how to do things well...

Check out the K Club if in your price range....that could be a good experience if golf is ure thing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Kilashee is good. Not a fan of the Heritage in Killenard. Dunboyne castle is nice, but unless it's busy can be a bit "barny".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Kilashee is good. Not a fan of the Heritage in Killenard. Dunboyne castle is nice, but unless it's busy can be a bit "barny".

And of course Dunboyne Castle is in Dunboyne, which is in Co. Meath. Just saying like...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Strangely enough (and I'm probably on my own here) I'm not a huge fan of Kilashee! I'm not into the creaky floorboard hotels really, K Club not my thing either. Food and service in both was smashing though if memory serves. Am I alone here??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Tripadvisor recommends, in this order:
    1 Carton House Hotel & Golf Club
    2 The K Club
    3 The Courtyard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The Glenroyal in Maynooth is probably ok as well. It seems to be a busy hotel and being in the hands of NAMA hasn't changed the service.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

If it was me, i'd go to the village at lyons. Was at a wedding fair there, and for the quirky factor, beats all hands down.

Advertisement