Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD7970 Details

Options
  • 16-12-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=218536

Ironically, posted in the NVIDIA forums, but it's quite a comprehensive compilation of rumours, leaked info, speculation, etc.

Apparently the 7970 could launch as early as next Thursday (22nd), the next most-likely date being January 10th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Ya everywhere I read seem to suggest a launch on thursday. Not sure what the point of that is cause its really only a paper launch at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Only one DVI connector? Interesting. I'd say some people might find that a little annoying.
    Where are the 7800s AMD?

There's further info on their lower end, at least - I found a picture of their radeon 7500.

800px-Radeon_RV100_DDR.JPG

Looks like they're supporting lower end systems well with the retro design - introducing two VGA connectors and the AGP interface! So it will work with all those old systems that are in great need of a graphics upgrade. :pac:
    Passive cooling too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If the <3W idle power usage is true that would be incredible for such a beast of a card. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i cant find it: is it pci 3.0 or 2.0

I believe I read somewhere said it was PCI-E 3, which is amusing given that AMD don't have any motherboards with PCI-E 3 of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I read somewhere it's going to be mid jan before it will ship in decent quantities.

I'll be selling a 7 month old 6970 around then if anyone's interested. :)

glynf wrote: »
    I read somewhere it's going to be mid jan before it will ship in decent quantities.

I'll be selling a 7 month old 6970 around then if anyone's interested. :)

ill wait and see, to be honest, everything looks lovely on the paper, but when you get the actual thing, it can be way less then expected *cough* bulldozer *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Monotype wrote: »
    Only one DVI connector? Interesting. I'd say some people might find that a little annoying.
    Where are the 7800s AMD?

There's further info on their lower end, at least - I found a picture of their radeon 7500.

800px-Radeon_RV100_DDR.JPG

Looks like they're supporting lower end systems well with the retro design - introducing two VGA connectors and the AGP interface! So it will work with all those old systems that are in great need of a graphics upgrade. :pac:
    Passive cooling too!

Are you sure thats a radeon HD 7500? I wouldn't think that developing a AGP card would be financially viable since almost no motherboards within the last 5 years feature AGP slots.

There was a 7500 card released in 2001 (confusing naming I know)
    http://www.guru3d.com/review/ati/radeon7500/

Just my (somewhat poor) attempt at a joke. ;) I was noting they've come back to the same numbers. Still the Radeon brand but the cards from recent series have the prefix "HD" which is usually dropped.

I doubt we'll see a bulldozer here. AMD's were in a shaky position with their processors for years but their GPUs have been commendable. There's always room for poor performance with bad drivers with a new series but it's unlikely that they'll be going backwards from the 6000s. The biggest danger is overpricing!

I'm looking forward to any news about 77xxs and 78xxs, theses are always much more interesting, although the 6950 was quite affordable this time round.

Monotype wrote: »
    Just my (somewhat poor) attempt at a joke. ;) I was noting they've come back to the same numbers. Still the Radeon brand but the cards from recent series have the prefix "HD" which is usually dropped.

I doubt we'll see a bulldozer here. AMD's were in a shaky position with their processors for years but their GPUs have been commendable. There's always room for poor performance with bad drivers with a new series but it's unlikely that they'll be going backwards from the 6000s. The biggest danger is overpricing!

I'm looking forward to any news about 77xxs and 78xxs, theses are always much more interesting, although the 6950 was quite affordable this time round.

dead on. x7xx and x8xx are the main horses of the batch. Only few lucky ones can afford to go most high end, but two mentioned above were for us mortals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

dead on. x7xx and x8xx are the main horses of the batch. Only few lucky ones can afford to go most high end, but two mentioned above were for us mortals

Says the guy with a 6970 equivalent...

Serephucus wrote: »
    Says the guy with a 6970 equivalent...

*Same guy is kicking himself in the nits for buying it too.

*same guy feels bent over and done nicely without lube by nvidia. ;)

*Same guy is kicking himself in the nits for buying it too.

*same guy feels bent over and done nicely without lube by nvidia. ;)

You know you can just return the card, right? If you want the 6870 - a slower card - that much, then box the thing up and send it back already!

You know you can just return the card, right? If you want the 6870 - a slower card - that much, then box the thing up and send it back already!

I hate returns, posts, plus it will leave me with no pc for a week or two.

I am happy with my system now and it works well, but i would not put myself out of "mortals" section, just because i got that overpriced thing. I learned my lesson, i will newer buy high end card, which has twice the price and only 10-15% performance increase. If someone is rich enough, then fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I learned my lesson, i will newer buy high end card, which has twice the price and only 10-15% performance increase. If someone is rich enough, then fair play.

If you start gaming at over 1080p you won't have a choice about it.

nesf wrote: »
    If you start gaming at over 1080p you won't have a choice about it.

like pointed out in previuos thread by you lads: alot of people are not playin on 16x10++ even now. that steam survey? monitors with 1080p are still very expensive.. so 1080p+ is only for rich people.

in a generation or two Mid/Highish cards will be capable of it. The golden spot of performance for your money.

like pointed out in previuos thread by you lads: alot of people are not playin on 16x10++ even now. that steam survey? monitors with 1080p are still very expensive.. so 1080p+ is only for rich people.

in a generation or two Mid/Highish cards will be capable of it. The golden spot of performance for your money.

Sure but I know people who started gaming on 30" monitors 6 years ago. As a % of the market it's not huge but around 5% of gamers already game at 27" so it's not that rare really.

nesf wrote: »
    Sure but I know people who started gaming on 30" monitors 6 years ago. As a % of the market it's not huge but around 5% of gamers already game at 27" so it's not that rare really.

so when i said that good few people play on 16x10+ BF3 i was wrong, because 50% were bellow 16x10 according to steam survey and its rare for such high ressolutions, but there are 5% of people with 27inch monitors and its not that rare anymore... :rolleyes:

anyway, **** it all, my main point was, that for mortal gamers ( me included, with no 27invh monitor ) are more interested in x8xx and x7xx cards then high end card. i really doubt that they outsell more of 6970 and 6990 and 580, then 6870,6850 and 560ti.

so when i said that good few people play on 16x10+ BF3 i was wrong, because 50% were bellow 16x10 according to steam survey and its rare for such high ressolutions, but there are 5% of people with 27inch monitors and its not that rare anymore... :rolleyes:

You said hardly anyone games at low resolutions, that's what we had issue with. 5% of overall gamers on Steam is a fairly large number in terms of hardcore gamers or the high end of the market. The vast majority of the high end will be at 1080p but a sizeable proportion will want more. That and monitors last many, many years if you buy a good quality one. Versus graphics cards which you might have to upgrade every two years if you're obsessed with maximum detail and fps.

anyway, **** it all, my main point was, that for mortal gamers ( me included, with no 27invh monitor ) are more interested in x8xx and x7xx cards then high end card. i really doubt that they outsell more of 6970 and 6990 and 580, then 6870,6850 and 560ti.

Tis a performance thing. Some people care about that last 5%, most don't. If you want to sink your money into better cards because you really enjoy high detail levels, more power to you etc. Plus for some people building and optimising a high powered rig is as much a hobby as the gaming itself.

Well the details are out

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/

I kinda expected a bigger increase in performance though. Average of 15-20% from the 580. It is now the fasted single chip GPU out there but that is to be expected. Power consumption figures look impressive also.

Actually so do the crossfire results

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1362/pg1/amd-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-performance-review-introduction.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

deejer wrote: »
    Well the details are out

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7970/

I kinda expected a bigger increase in performance though. Average of 15-20% from the 580. It is now the fasted single chip GPU out there but that is to be expected. Power consumption figures look impressive also.

Actually so do the crossfire results

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1362/pg1/amd-radeon-hd-7970-crossfire-performance-review-introduction.html

Any Idea on the price tag of one of those puppies?

It's on the first page - $549. I'd expect this translates to maybe just under €500 for the 7950 for sales in Europe.

Power consumption tests are very impressive - the idle power being in with current middle-lowish cards. Great for people leaving their machines on for long periods or do a lot of office work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

looking forward to the 7990 and 7870 benches.
    If the price is too high hopefully the 69XX series will come down in price

Certainly a nice card. Expensive though. It makes the 580 (~€400) better value. :P

The only thing that's a little worrying for me is that it seems to be quite a loud card. 46dB(A) from Techpowerup.

Looks like a decent jump though. It'll be interesting to see what the 7950 is like, and if it can keep the price-point of the 6950.

Certainly a nice card. Expensive though. It makes the 580 (~€400) better value. :P

The only thing that's a little worrying for me is that it seems to be quite a loud card. 46dB(A) from Techpowerup.

Looks like a decent jump though. It'll be interesting to see what the 7950 is like, and if it can keep the price-point of the 6950.

it does make 580 better value.

nice figures, but its still a 500eu card!

well, lets hope it will drop prices of other cards, daddy needs a second 570! :p

Personally Im going to be looking out for a 580 in the new year second hand cause I think it would be better value.

Might even take that block off you Serephucus if you still have it then :)

well, lets hope it will drop prices of other cards, daddy needs a second 570! :p

Prices should drop, yeah. Odds are it won't be the day the card comes out though. Usually takes a week or so for prices to stabilize.
    deejer wrote: »
    Personally Im going to be looking out for a 580 in the new year second hand cause I think it would be better value.

Might even take that block off you Serephucus if you still have it then :)

You'll probably find a bunch on Adverts a week after the 7xxxs be come available, so shouldn't be much of a problem. :P

And yeah, still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Whoever said 1080 monitors are expensive is wrong :P You can easily build a 3 monitor system these days for cheap.

Even ancient consoles can run at 1920x1080 easily. Contrast this to a PC with a single 6970, can run Skyrim at 7680x1600 (no aa). This is what high-end cards are for. Other games struggle at silly resolutions with 6970 tho (Skyrim is old engine), will be interesting to see if the 7970 can handle games like IL2: Cliffs of Dover at that res.

I think you're overestimating the power of the consoles. Most games don't run at 1080p.
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

The monitors aren't too dear (considering you can get 1920x1080 monitors at just over the €100 mark), it's the system that you need to run them that adds up. I suppose it's relatively cheap in comparison to a few years ago when you needed a high end card to run games well, while mid cards now are very capable for their price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I know most don't, but some do. They are 5+ years old at this stage? No comparison. Pity that consoles are retarding hardware development at the moment, but they do stimulate software alright.

FYI: my monitors cost a lot more than the pc. But yeah you can get cheap 1080 monitors too.

It's quite funny to watch people spending a fortune on top-spec gaming pc, and then pairing it with a cheap 1080 monitor. What a complete waste!

Advertisement