Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Exodus

• 16-12-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

The papers, online forums, and news talk has been dominated in the past weeks about retailers going to the wall after this holiday season.

I don't want to start a discussion on speculation, as we all know they will lock the thread, but maybe as January arrives we can track any local businesses in our area that close to see how much of this is effecting our community.

Apparently in towns across the country small businesses are just holding out for this holiday season and then are shutting down hoping to sell as much as they can before Christmas, then offering huge closing sales afterwards.

That is the prediction though. That, and the idea that the only retailers that will be around really next year will be huge multi-national chains.

I guess we wait and see?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

CptSternn wrote: »
    The papers, online forums, and news talk has been dominated in the past weeks about retailers going to the wall after this holiday season.

I don't want to start a discussion on speculation, as we all know they will lock the thread, but maybe as January arrives we can track any local businesses in our area that close to see how much of this is effecting our community.

Apparently in towns across the country small businesses are just holding out for this holiday season and then are shutting down hoping to sell as much as they can before Christmas, then offering huge closing sales afterwards.

That is the prediction though. That, and the idea that the only retailers that will be around really next year will be huge multi-national chains.

I guess we wait and see?

Don't want to stoke the fire CptS, but I heard on the radio today Clery's in Dublin lost money last year, and of course that stoked up the speculation.

I know Clery's is a 'million miles' away from beautiful Clare, but if they are having it difficult, what about the medium traders on the high streets across the country.

For me, throwing 2% VAT onto 21% did SFA except throw more unfortunate people out onto the dole.

I am self employed, and TRY to stay positive about our wonderful country, but sometimes, I wonder.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Around 12 businesses in Ennis closed in the first three months of this year, 2011. Have no idea of the overall closure stats since 2008 when the recession first started to really bite, and then of course there were the new premises which never got occupied in the first place. But we have had some new businesses opening too. Hopefully, 2012 won't start with so many blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I remember reading a newspaper report a few months ago that claimed there were approximately 70 vacant shop units in Ennis, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Today I noticed the new children's shoe shop in the Market area and Madamosielle at the Square both have closing down sales.
    Both shops are in Ennis :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Anthony Dalys spotted today - closed.

Anyone notice any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I believe dresscos in Shannon town centre is going as well as the car motor factors shop there. Sign of the times I suppose. They can't compete with online sales. Sad to see it though. My wife works in retail too and to say we are nervous is an understatement. Not to worry though...once we all pay the property tax and septic tank charges the country will be saved and Merkozy will be delighted! A debate for another thread me suspects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Unfortunately, Anthony Daly Sports has gone into liquidation. It is a very tough time to be in business.

Hurling manager Daly's business to be wound up

By Siobhan Creaton

Saturday January 14 2012

A sportswear business owned by Dublin hurling manager and Clare legend Anthony Daly will be wound up next week.

Suppliers and others who are owed money by his company, Anthony Daly Sports Limited, have been told to attend a meeting at Pery's Hotel in Limerick at 12 noon on Monday. A liquidator will be appointed to the company at that meeting.

The scale of the company's debts and details of who is owed money are not known.

Mr Daly declined to comment on the impending liquidation to the Irish Independent yesterday.

The company is owned by Mr Daly and his wife Eilis. They have a sports shop at O'Connell Street in Ennis, Co Clare, where Mrs Daly works. It has been closed in recent days.

The couple had a pub from 1999 to 2009 which they still own. They leased out this business after Mr Daly became the Dublin senior hurling manager in November 2008.

The hurling legend has been enjoying great success with the Dublin senior hurling team. Last year Dublin won the Walsh Cup, beating Kilkenny in the final. Mr Daly later led Dublin to its first National Hurling League Division 1 final in 65 years.

He famously captained the Clare senior hurling team that won the All-Ireland in 1995, bringing the Liam MacCarthy Cup back to his native county for the first time in 81 years. He has said the 1995 All-Ireland win was the highlight of his career.

He is a regular commentator on RTE's 'The Sunday Game' and is a columnist with the 'Evening Herald'.

The sportswear business has struggled in recent years.

The most recent accounts filed at the Companies Office show the company's auditors raised concerns about whether the business could continue to trade successfully at the end of 2009. That year Anthony Daly Sports Limited made a €34,941 loss, which was bigger than the company's total assets of €24,403.

In the accounts the auditors, Vaughan & Co, said there was a "material uncertainty" that may cast significant doubt about the company's viability.

At the end of 2009 creditors were owed more than €130,000.

This business failure comes as small businesses across Ireland are struggling to cope with consumers spending less money and amid difficulties getting finance from banks.

At the end of 2011 the small business lobby group ISME said that nearly half of the companies it represented expected business conditions to deteriorate this year. It said that 59pc of companies still viewed the business environment as being "poor" or "very poor" with almost half of companies expecting conditions to worsen over the next 12 months.

- Siobhan Creaton

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hurling-manager-dalys-business-to-be-wound-up-2988828.html

Advertisement