Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options
  • 16-12-2011 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Saw a sign up where Falks Lighting used to be on the Dublin Road - beside Apache Pizza. Sweet! Not too far from my gaff. Decent enough parking there too.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Yeah..Great..Woo-Hoo...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

White cafe Mocha please! Love that stuff.
    This will be the closest SB to me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Black Cow

Morpork wrote: »
    White cafe Mocha please! Love that stuff.
    This will be the closest SB to me now.
    Yeah, handier than Malahide anyway!

Degsy wrote: »
    Yeah..Great..Woo-Hoo...:rolleyes:
    Problem? It's Dublin City news - exactly what this forum is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Black Cow wrote: »

****e coffee chain opens to sell over priced ****e coffee.

no news.

• Advertisement

Its news that another branch of an overpriced american multinational is opening at the expense of local business to pander to the Fade St brigade?

It certainly is news but not good news.

I'd agree about the multinational thing not being a positive; but the building itself is currently empty & looks sh*te - so they're not pushing out any existing businesses; they're creating local jobs in a tough economy, paying rates to the county council, and paying rent to a local property owner whose building is currently lying vacant; so I welcome it for those reasons.

And it'll be handy to just pull up & grab a coffee - there's nowhere else locally to do that except a garage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

And it'll be handy to just pull up & grab a coffee - there's nowhere else locally to do that except a garage.

You do realise you can buy and brew coffee yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

They'd be better off opening in sutton cross. Loads of empty units up there & a better catchment area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Awful coffee. Hugely over-priced. Do not want.

• Advertisement

You do realise you can buy and brew coffee yourself?
    Yeah; I'm the only person in the world who likes to grab a take-away coffee... oh wait!

Sh*te point - move along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah; I'm the only person in the world who likes to grab a take-away coffee... oh wait!

Sh*te point - move along.
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, if you want to piss away your money then fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Its news that another branch of an overpriced american multinational is opening at the expense of local business to pander to the Fade St brigade?

It certainly is news but not good news.

falks closed a long time ago, so did texaco.
    a new business oprning up there and providing jobs is a good thing as no local business has seen fit to open anything there.
    bayside shops and sutton cross both have empty units so who is at the expense of? they havent forced anyone out and arent directly competing with anyone.
    the nearest coffee shop is sutton cross (new deli) who, i believe, rely on foot trade to the local businesses and railway station. not many people drive up to sutton just for a coffee.

i think its a good thing for the area, better than a shelll of a building lying empty for an indefinite period anyway.

subway wrote: »
    falks closed a long time ago, so did texaco.
    a new business oprning up there and providing jobs is a good thing as no local business has seen fit to open anything there.
    bayside shops and sutton cross both have empty units so who is at the expense of? they havent forced anyone out and arent directly competing with anyone.
    the nearest coffee shop is sutton cross (new deli) who, i believe, rely on foot trade to the local businesses and railway station. not many people drive up to sutton just for a coffee.

i think its a good thing for the area, better than a shelll of a building lying empty for an indefinite period anyway.
    That was exactly my point. And it's not as if I'm Starbucks - so no idea why all the above comments were even directed at me. I just enjoy a take-away coffee, as do most people.

If people want to pointlessly argue the quality of the coffee & the price, there's a coffee forum for that.

Edit:
    No need to get your knickers in a twist, if you want to piss away your money then fire away.

Such pointless snobbery...
    I will spend my money how I wish - but thanks for your permission. Out of interest; why did you make your first post advising me to brew my own coffee? It's completely stupid - millions & millions of people worldwide get coffees "to go" - why act like it's such an alien concept, and 'tut' at the very notion? Seems pretty pointless & off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Starbucks opening in Sutton!

Eh, that's Kilbarrack really. Sutton is over 2 kms away with Bayside and the north end of Baldoyle in between.

It's going to be a struggle for them. They'll be relying massively on passing traffic, mainly in the non-townward direction, stopping for sales that will only be in the region of €5 unlike Apache next door which has would get 3 or 4 times that.

There's also almost no footfall trade unlike Coffey's in the Superquinn Sutton complex and newDeli, the one beside TSB, which have 2 schools, a train station and other shopping centre users including loads of 4x4 driving yummy mummies helping their trade.

If cars going into to town stop, there will be a traffic problem.

it is an odd spot, i wonder if they expect to get trade from walkers along the seafront perhaps?

it is an odd spot, i wonder if they expect to get trade from walkers along the seafront perhaps?
    No idea - but I pass there 4 or 5 times per day, and I'd probably be a likely candidate to pull in & stop for a Cappuccino in the winter or a Frappuccino in the summer. Can't really see a traffic or parking issue, TBH - you can park all along that road - people pull in at Apache all the time.
    Plus, Bayside is right beside it which has a big enough population, but if they were in Bayside Sq. people probably wouldn't know they were there & they'd miss the passing trade. "Bay" in Clontarf is always busy, and they have a similar type of location.

tricky D wrote: »
    It's going to be a struggle for them.

I thought that initially - but the sad thing is that if an independent coffee shop opened there, they'd probably go out of business - but I think Starbucks will thrive purely because of the brand name.

theres only room for about 7 or 8 cars max, and like you say, they are usually apache delivery drivers waiting around.
    its not a great spot to stop, especially if coming from the sutton to town direction
    lots of people who do stop, then try to u-turn to go back, causing more problems.

if you've ever been in a starbucks, you'll know they like people to hang out etc.
    if they take up the whole of falks, it could be a fairly large place.

i'm not saying it will or wont be a success, its definitely a good spot for visibility, but ill say the same thing i said about the new coffee shop at bayside, who are also expecting passing trade.
    if i am on my way somewhere (such as work) i will get a coffee when i get there.
    if i am on my home from somewhere, i will have one when i get in.

i will be up in this starbucks most days, in fact if they offer free wifi i might cancel my lease and move in, but most people dont have the luxury of that. i am mainly interested in the business model more than anything.
    the garage that was there for years went out of business without evening contemplating a premium coffee shop, common in many garages, maybe that was his mistake or maybe he thought it was a bad idea?

millions of people worldwide get coffees "to go" - why act like it's such an alien concept

It is an alien concept.."to go" is a sickening americanism..beloved of people who wear sunglasses on their heads indoors and say "like" every other word..its as alien as "The Hills" or any other tripe from across the atlantic.

Whats wrong with a jar of Nescafe and a flask if you want to drink coffee on teh move?

• Advertisement

theres only room for about 7 or 8 cars max, and like you say, they are usually apache delivery drivers waiting around.
    its not a great spot to stop, especially if coming from the sutton to town direction
    lots of people who do stop, then try to u-turn to go back, causing more problems.

if you've ever been in a starbucks, you'll know they like people to hang out etc.
    if they take up the whole of falks, it could be a fairly large place.

i'm not saying it will or wont be a success, its definitely a good spot for visibility, but ill say the same thing i said about the new coffee shop at bayside, who are also expecting passing trade.
    if i am on my way somewhere (such as work) i will get a coffee when i get there.
    if i am on my home from somewhere, i will have one when i get in.

i will be up in this starbucks most days, in fact if they offer free wifi i might cancel my lease and move in, but most people dont have the luxury of that. i am mainly interested in the business model more than anything.
    the garage that was there for years went out of business without evening contemplating a premium coffee shop, common in many garages, maybe that was his mistake or maybe he thought it was a bad idea?
    Yeah, I agree.

Time will tell I guess. Maybe the garage will be a car park or something - who knows what's planned. "Bay" are currently using the Dollymount House car park as an overflow, which is a good idea.

that could work, they are clearing the garage now anyway, i think they had a time limit to leave the tanks underground or something like that.
    afaik, no plans to do anything with the site once they are gone so could be a possibility. would work well for apache too.

will wait and see anyway, do you know when starbucks is due to open?

It is an alien concept.."to go" is a sickening americanism..beloved of people who wear sunglasses on their heads indoors and say "like" every other word..its as alien as "The Hills" or any other tripe from across the atlantic.

Whats wrong with a jar of Nescafe and a flask if you want to drink coffee on teh move?
    Here's the problem with your post - I don't care. I don't even know what point you're trying to make - are you trying to say some people are knobs? Is that your amazing revelation? Everyone already knows that. Move along if you've nothing even vaguely interesting to add.

do you know when starbucks is due to open?

No idea - just saw a sign on my way to work.

no worries, well, i'll keep an eye out myself, hopefully wont be long

It doesn't look as cool when I pose with my Macbook & skinny jeans. Why you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

edgy,

the anti-starbucks thing makes me laugh! Their coffee isnt always the best but at least it tastes the same everywhere and you know what you will get. Unlike many independent Irish coffee shops which serve up muck 10 times worse than star bucks.

Sundy wrote: »
    the anti-starbucks thing makes me laugh!

What's even funnier is that this topic has nothing at all to do with the quality of Starbucks coffee. But trolls gonna troll...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What's even funnier is that this topic has nothing at all to do with the quality of Starbucks coffee. But trolls gonna troll...
    Its ok, looks like he has gone back to chatting about bodybuilding and fake tan

• Advertisement

It doesn't look as cool when I pose with my Macbook & skinny jeans. Why you ask?

Ah so you're one of these people who goes into Starbucks out of the cold..buys one coffee and sits there all day on the free wifi,idling thier time away?

A mecca fior wasters as well as posers.

Advertisement