Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Roquentin wrote: »
    java republic is lovely. they dont have a shop as far as im aware, but they supply coffee to shops.

o briens coffee is also nice as well. not too gone on starbucks or costa

http://www.javarepublic.com/about-us/the-roastery-cafe/

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

ongarboy wrote: »
    That's correct. They are called Entertainment Enterprises and also run the Leisureplexes in Blanch, Coolock and soon to open Charlestown, Finglas.

Pity they can't change the abject lack of of service in the Blanchardstown Leisureplex Starbuck - stands out like a sore thumb from the other Starbucks in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

ongarboy wrote: »
    That's correct. They are called Entertainment Enterprises and also run the Leisureplexes in Blanch, Coolock and soon to open Charlestown, Finglas.

do they or did they own the cinema in coolock aswell beside the leisure plex which now has a costa in it? also any reports on the starbucks in sutton? been ages since i was in the superquinn carpark but last time i was in there was shortly after they opened and wasnt a sinner in the place at 1030 in the morning. when that was coffeys it was crawling with the blue rinse brigade at that time of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

neris wrote: »
    do they or did they own the cinema in coolock aswell beside the leisure plex which now has a costa in it? also any reports on the starbucks in sutton? been ages since i was in the superquinn carpark but last time i was in there was shortly after they opened and wasnt a sinner in the place at 1030 in the morning. when that was coffeys it was crawling with the blue rinse brigade at that time of the day

Chairs uncomfortable, tables too small, atmosphere lacking, always a bit dirty looking, coffee like muck. Insomnia round the corner much more comfortable. Both places suffer a bit from an influx of kids from Sutton Park, Santa Sabina and Fintan's, but due to the lack of comfortable seating and nooks and crannies, Starbucks becomes much more intolerable to me. Major bug bear for me is that the only reasonable comfortable seat in Starbucks (the couch) is right at the end of the counter and the staff seem to be constantly letting the swing door bang incessantly - does my head in. Also, if you're drinking tea, Starbucks charge extra for the big cup whereas Insomnia automatically provide the big cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

The best cup of coffee is the one I make for myself at home, so my expectations are generally low when buying from one of the chains.

I've been in Il Panoramo a few times and have not found their coffee to be materially better or worse than any other. It would be a pity if they lost out, as a result of proximity to Starbucks, because they provide something different.

The best coffee I have ever had in Howth was back in the day when Karl Purdy was starting off with Coffee Angel and made fresh coffee off the back of his van on the East Pier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Shuttle666 wrote: »

Nice spot, not much else around that part of D15. The food is run by the people who run Kay's in Blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well this thread has already veered wildly off topic on several occasions, so I may as well kick it up a notch. :D

Was in the Supervalu in Sutton Cross last night. Got chatting to staff about the big renovations that are being planned for next year. It is still at the planning permission stage, so nothing is finalized yet.

Two main parts of it are:

Block off the current car entrance, put in a pedestrian entrance that opens out onto the street itself & have a coffee shop/snack shop just inside the doorway.

Extend the car park, get rid of the current car entrance way, move it about 200 yards down the road, nearer to Howth & give it traffic lights. They have already bought up the land they need, as well as a couple of houses that they are going to knock down (a couple of not very valuable 1950's run down bungalows) to build the new entrance way.

The only fly in the ointment, is that the delivery trucks will be using the same new entrance, instead of the current back way in via Station Road. A few of the residents in the nearby houses are objecting, as the trucks will block access to their driveways when coming and going, as well as being dangerous with kids playing. Then there is the noise factor, as a lot of those trucks deliver in the middle of the night. Not only are they worried about the day to day inconveniences, they are worried about their property values being affected. As much as I hate the current entrance - a total nightmare if you are turning right and traffic is heavy - I can see their point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well this thread has already veered wildly off topic on several occasions, so I may as well kick it up a notch.

Was in the Supervalu in Sutton Cross last night. Got chatting to staff about the big renovations that are being planned for next year. It is still at the planning permission stage, so nothing is finalized yet.

Two main parts of it are:

Put in a pedestrian entrance door that opens out onto the street at Sutton Cross itself & have a coffee shop/snack shop just inside the doorway. No idea how that will work, given that there are businesses there already, that have all the street frontage. I can't see either of the banks moving, so maybe they will buy out the lease of the hearing aid shop, the barbers or the chemists.

Extend the car park, get rid of the current car entrance way, move it about 200 yards down the road, nearer to Howth & give it traffic lights. They have already bought up the land they need, as well as a couple of houses that they are going to knock down (a couple of not very valuable 1950's run down bungalows) to build the new entrance way.

The only fly in the ointment, is that the delivery trucks will be using the same new entrance, instead of the current back way in via Station Road. A few of the residents in the nearby houses are objecting, as the trucks will block access to their driveways when coming and going, as well as being dangerous with kids playing. Then there is the noise factor, as a lot of those trucks deliver in the middle of the night. Not only are they worried about the day to day inconveniences, they are worried about their property values being affected. As much as I hate the current entrance - a total nightmare if you are turning right and traffic is heavy - I can see their point.

Wow, thanks for that info - very interesting! Once point of entrance could be the lane way between the building and the Bank of Ireland - they could extend it that far.

I wonder is the new entrance going to be at the back of the car park and knock down that building that recently had that Pangea spa? (the old MacMahon's shop) A tricky spot, as you've got the entrance to the tennis club right opposite, but keeping it away from the cross is a good idea. However I'd disagree with traffic lights, as they wouldn't be that far away from the cross traffic lights.

So they'd be stopping deliveries into the back way completely? Makes little sense to get the big trucks to go in the public entrance.

And just to make my post relevant to the thread: coffee.

Yeah, its interesting stuff alright. Don't think the lane way beside the Bank of Ireland will be a factor in all of this. It is just that...a very narrow lane way. There is not much they can physically do with it. It is definitely too narrow for trucks. As it is quite literally on the Sutton Cross junction itself, it would be the worst possible spot for an entrance. I've pulled into it a few times, to use the ATM & I've had a couple of hairy experiences getting out of it. There may be a security factor at play too, seeing as it's beside the bank.

Btw, the SV staff member that I spoke to, seemed to have gotten all this, from about 3 different work colleagues, so I can't 100% verify its accuracy.

Yeah, its interesting stuff alright. Don't think the lane way beside the Bank of Ireland will be a factor in all of this. It is just that...a very narrow lane way. There is not much they can physically do with it. It is definitely too narrow for trucks. As it is quite literally on the Sutton Cross junction itself, it would be the worst possible spot for an entrance. I've pulled into it a few times, to use the ATM & I've had a couple of hairy experiences getting out of it. There may be a security factor at play too, seeing as it's beside the bank.

Btw, the SV staff member that I spoke to, seemed to have gotten all this, from about 3 different work colleagues, so I can't 100% verify its accuracy.

No, I meant use the lane as the pedestrian entrance you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Oh right. I see what you mean. It's a bit narrow, isn't it? There wouldn't be room for the coffee shop...you know, the whole point...ahem...of this thread...:P

They already have the road frontage where the current car entrance is. If they just close that off to cars, they have a nice big new one, for people on foot to either go shopping, or just have a cuppa.

Another coffee shop? Coffee shops in Sutton are be coming like the proverbial bus. The new entrance to the carpark would be at what is now the derelict pangea spa building. Just wonder what they will do with the current entrance if they get a new 1.

Another coffee shop? Coffee shops in Sutton are be coming like the proverbial bus. The new entrance to the carpark would be at what is now the derelict pangea spa building. Just wonder what they will do with the current entrance if they get a new 1.

Keep it, but have it be pedestrian only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

The new entrance to the carpark would be at what is now the derelict pangea spa building. Just wonder what they will do with the current entrance if they get a new 1.
    I heard that they are going to build a new coffee shop where the original entrance was, it'll be a Starbucks.

You know what Sutton cross needs? A pub (not the Marine bar). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

deandean wrote: »
    I heard that they are going to build a new coffee shop where the original entrance was, it'll be a Starbucks.

A Starbucks in Sutton!

That's worth a thread of its own :D

Starbucking. I wish it would end. There's too many coffee shops now. We need a nice pub that does good food, or a new restaurant that isn't chinese / asian (not that there's anything wrong with that, but we have two of them already), and maybe a shop or two beyond the old lady clothes shops that are already there.

Perhaps this should be renamed to "The Sutton Cross Thread"? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

There's a bar in Suttonians. Think it's open Thursday to Sunday. They'd love the business

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Planning permission being sought for an new extension to the dry cleaners and a new shop behind it facing into the superquinn carpark.

a decent traffic management system for the cross and superquinn carpark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Starbucks open in Howth open a couple of weeks now, seems to be flying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

BowWow wrote: »
    Starbucks open in Howth open a couple of weeks now, seems to be flying...

It's quite sad that it's flying. Taking business of smaller cafes.

It's quite sad that it's flying. Taking business of smaller cafes.

Don't think it is tbh, I reckon it's the chains competing amongst themselves for a crowd who wouldn't go into the others.

Starbucks is actually quite nice in Howth, much more comfortable than the one in Sutton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Having a chat with the owner of the Country Market earlier and he says it's taking some business but not too much but that would be mainly due to location not quality of the coffee. His business is resilient enough though due to its much more diverse offerings and great customer and community service. Other coffee shops like the Grind, Panorama et al would be more vulnerable.

And then there's Starbucks' tax affairs where it has largely avoided corpo tax using the royalties trick (legally): http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/starbucks-brews-up-profits-but-pays-no-corporation-tax-30939132.html

Shop local, folks!

You know what Sutton cross needs? A pub (not the Marine bar). smile.png
    Awful pints and the worst cheese+salad sambo I've ever had and it took 50 minutes to get served.

tricky D wrote: »
    Other coffee shops like the Grind, Panorama et al would be more vulnerable.

Haven't heard a single good review of the Grind from anyone I know...

As for Panorama, it's a different market entirely. The owners are a bit preoccupied with their portmarnock branch though and have let it slip a bit lately. But ultimately it offers actual food, and it's also a wine bar so I really doubt it'll be hit.

Marie Lousie Tea Rooms might feel it. Never really found it comfortable though.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Haven't heard a single good review of the Grind from anyone I know...

As for Panorama, it's a different market entirely. The owners are a bit preoccupied with their portmarnock branch though and have let it slip a bit lately. But ultimately it offers actual food, and it's also a wine bar so I really doubt it'll be hit.

Marie Lousie Tea Rooms might feel it. Never really found it comfortable though.

I guess Portmarnock is higher risk, as it is newer and in an area with less traffic. Howth is established and has it's regular customers - and tourists who would rather check out a local establishment than go into a Starbucks, which they already have.

Panorama still does good food and coffee, so even if the boys aren't there themselves, you're still getting the same quality food.

I guess Portmarnock is higher risk, as it is newer and in an area with less traffic. Howth is established and has it's regular customers - and tourists who would rather check out a local establishment than go into a Starbucks, which they already have.

Panorama still does good food and coffee, so even if the boys aren't there themselves, you're still getting the same quality food.

I'm not disputing the food quality, but it's just not being properly supervised. I've seen all the benches outside free of people, with all the leftovers still on them and staff standing around chatting inside as an example of what I mean.

Anyway, I did say that I doubt it'll be affected by Starbucks opening, if it does have any changes it's more likely to be due to the owners being distracted and not keeping tight enough reins on..

Anytime I have been in the Howth Panorama, it's been packed inside. (Not hard I suppose, given its size.) The outside tables being full is more dependent on good weather, but the place seems to be thriving. I wonder if they put a rain proof awning & heaters over the outside tables, would that help boost business? Either way, customers being able to get a spot of half decent grub as well as a glass of wine, will stand to it. You can't get that at Starbucks.

I've been in the Portmarnock Panorama a few times. Each time, I was the only customer in it. Most of the passing foot traffic seems to be locals out doing their shopping, whereas in Howth it will be a mixture of locals, tourists, day trippers and cyclists. Their seating set up is strange. The little stools are more conducive to wolfing down a quick sambo and getting out again straight away. The view of nothing but cars doesn't help either. If I was a local, it's not somewhere I'd arrange to meet a friend for a cuppa, or sit for a natter. Maybe it's just me, but it just doesn't have the 'comfort' vibe to it that I look for in a coffee shop. It's why I haven't been back to the Sutton Cross Starbucks since it opened, but I go to the Sutton Insomnia fairly often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anytime I have been in the Howth Panorama, it's been packed inside. (Not hard I suppose, given its size.) The outside tables being full is more dependent on good weather, but the place seems to be thriving. I wonder if they put a rain proof awning & heaters over the outside tables, would that help boost business? Either way, customers being able to get a spot of half decent grub as well as a glass of wine, will stand to it. You can't get that at Starbucks.

I've been in the Portmarnock Panorama a few times. Each time, I was the only customer in it. Most of the passing foot traffic seems to be locals out doing their shopping, whereas in Howth it will be a mixture of locals, tourists, day trippers and cyclists. Their seating set up is strange. The little stools are more conducive to wolfing down a quick sambo and getting out again straight away. The view of nothing but cars doesn't help either. If I was a local, it's not somewhere I'd arrange to meet a friend for a cuppa, or sit for a natter. Maybe it's just me, but it just doesn't have the 'comfort' vibe to it that I look for in a coffee shop. It's why I haven't been back to the Sutton Cross Starbucks since it opened, but I go to the Sutton Insomnia fairly often.

I prefer insomnia over Starbuckss and the drinks are nicer and its Irish.

• Advertisement

I've been in the Portmarnock Panorama a few times. Each time, I was the only customer in it. Most of the passing foot traffic seems to be locals out doing their shopping

ive not been in il panorama in portmarnock but driven by it a load of times in the evening between 730 & 930 and theres always a few people inside.

Passed the starbucks in howth around 8pm a few nights in a row after they opened and the place was dead while il panorama was busy though howth was manic yesterday about 430 and was few people going into it. If the amount of people and traffic around were anything to go by summer is going to be miserable out there again. traffic coming out the harbour was nealy back to the yacht club

Advertisement