Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sundy wrote: »
    ... Their coffee isnt always the best but at least it tastes the same everywhere and you know what you will get....

Which is exactly why I don't drink Starbucks: the coffee is consistently not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Black Cow

Degsy wrote: »
    Ah so you're one of these people who goes into Starbucks out of the cold..buys one coffee and sits there all day on the free wifi,idling thier time away?

Yeah, either I'm one of "those" or maybe, just maybe, I was taking the p*ss out of your ignorant stereotype - but I'll let you use your incredible aptitude & brain power to work out which one I am. Try not to dribble as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

tricky D wrote: »
    Eh, that's Kilbarrack really. Sutton is over 2 kms away with Bayside and the north end of Baldoyle in between.
    You must be confused, Bayside is in Sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Thank Christ there is none in Cork yet. Well there's one in the airport, but that doesn't count. Must be the only city in Europe left that hasn't been plagued with ash-tray flavoured coffee and long may it stay that way.

Whats wrong with a jar of Nescafe and a flask if you want to drink coffee on teh move?
    Nescafe tastes like shít perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Effects wrote: »
    You must be confused, Bayside is in Sutton.

Nope, it's in Bayside, unless you want your house top be perceived as being in a 'nicer area'. If Bayside is in anywhere, it's Kilbarrack according to the OS Street Guide.

No, no, no. I went out with a girl years ago and her address was Bayside Boulevard North, Bayside, Sutton, Dublin 13. And Sutton Park is there too, I suppose that isn't in Sutton either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

No, no, no. I went out with a girl years ago and her address was Bayside Boulevard North, Bayside, Sutton, Dublin 13. And Sutton Park is there too, I suppose that isn't in Sutton either?
    Officialy, its not, strangelyenough.
    I live here now and its bayside, its considered its own area and in old money it is part of kilbarrack.

Its not really relevant to this thread though :D
    Lets keep this to its original intention, discussing the quality of stsrbucks coffee, wasnt it??

So why then, is Kilbarrack Cemetary to the east of Bayside?

Truth is that over the past few decades Sutton has been extended into addresses in those areas for property and snob value. Friend recently sold their house there as being in Sutton for exactly those reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

tricky D wrote: »
    Eh, that's Kilbarrack really. Sutton is over 2 kms away with Bayside and the north end of Baldoyle in between.

I was thinking the same. They'd have being better opening one up at sutton cross. I can't see it lasting there, location wise its very bad.

• Advertisement

Starbucks coffee is overpriced and under flavoured. That said, it would be handy to have a Starbucks in Bayside to keep me awake for the long drive between there and Sutton.

Just took a look at http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

The current map has Bayside in Kilbarrack Lower and the old Historic version has Kilbarrack stretching all the way to Baldoyle Road. Nevermind that, Baldoyle has its own post office.

Edit: It's a long drive alright on a sunny afternoon at the weekend. It can take well over 30 mins for all of 2kms distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭spence101

Very strange place to open a starbucks, I worked in Texaco until it closed down and the walk in customers are very few. The main walk ins were people jogging/cycling on the cycle track buying water. Cant really see them chowing down on a calorie laden Crapachino.

although, it will attract an awful lot of attention and people will go out of their way to go there. Parking will be a nightmare and I feel sorry for the residents in the small estate beside Falks, they are gonna be at the mercy of soccer moms with oversized and overpriced jeeps who don't care where they park.

it might benefit Apache though and it would have benefited Texaco no end. I really hope it doesn't take away from coffey's in sutton cross though.

It's not really Sutton though - this sign here is where Sutton starts:
    http://g.co/maps/knvn9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Drive up and down that road regularly, there is no parking along that area? Used to ring ahead for a pizza alright and run in and collect it. Thought alot of cars just parked along the roadside there would be dangerous, still better to see the unit occupied than empty.

Drive up and down that road regularly, there is no parking along that area? Used to ring ahead for a pizza alright and run in and collect it. Thought alot of cars just parked along the roadside there would be dangerous, still better to see the unit occupied than empty.
    Rumour is that the old Texaco will be a car park after the underground tanks are decommissioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Is that rumor starting on here tho? :)

subway wrote: »
    Is that rumor starting on here tho? :)
    Yeah, I started it on the last page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 thisiswar

There's a Starbucks across from my apartment, another 3 mins walk down the road and another shortly after that.

The novelty wears off quickly, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

a sad day indeed

• Advertisement

imme wrote: »
    a sad day indeed
    I know. I'll always fondly remember the empty building and ugly shop front that was the closed down Falks Lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Its news that another branch of an overpriced american multinational is opening at the expense of local business to pander to the Fade St brigade?

It certainly is news but not good news.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say it will be a teen hangout. Lots of families around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

As a local homeowner, whose title deeds say Sutton, I welcome the arrival of Starbucks.

The nearest coffee shop is Il Fornaio, not Coffeys. The best coffee is currently Bay6 in Bayside DART station.

I'm happy to have a Starbucks within a short walk,somewhere to escape to with a sheaf of unread newspapers. For those who have to or choose to drive, it'll be a problem. I assume someone taking on a Starbucks franchise would have to demonstrate that there'd be enough car parking or local footfall to justify it's location ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I really don't get the anti-Starbucks sentiment. I've had plenty crappy take-away coffee in my time. At least with Starbucks, there is a wide range of produce and I like it enough to go back there every so often.

Anyway, I used to like living in Sutton and I think Starbucks should do OK around there - there are nice sea views from that spot. If I ever felt like going out for a coffee & a pastry, I usually ended up driving to Howth or Clontarf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I really don't get the anti-Starbucks sentiment. I've had plenty crappy take-away coffee in my time.

Crappy coffee is one thing. But crappy over-priced coffee is taking the mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Crappy coffee is one thing. But crappy over-priced coffee is taking the mick.
    Ssshhhh...let them live the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If people are willing to pay for it (which they obviously are judging by Starbucks success) then it's not really overpriced.

TarfHead wrote: »
    I assume someone taking on a Starbucks franchise would have to demonstrate that there'd be enough car parking or local footfall to justify it's location ?
    Starbucks isn't a franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I really don't get the anti-Starbucks sentiment.

I know! And they all seem to know what the coffee tastes like and how much it costs!

Advertisement