Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If people are willing to pay for it (which they obviously are judging by Starbucks success) then it's not really overpriced.

No it just means people are willing to pay for over-priced, not particularly nice coffee.
    I can get a damn fine cup of coffee in the deli at the end of my street for 1.50. An inferior version of the same thing in Starbucks is about 1 euro dearer as far as I recall.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    I know! And they all seem to know what the coffee tastes like and how much it costs!

How else would people know that it wasn't any good if they hadn't tried it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

At least with Starbucks, there is a wide range of produce

A wide range of produce that contains nothing but sugar..muffins and cookies.

Its no wonder obesity is on the rise in this country..we're following the american dream alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

A new coffee shop, 25 mins walk from my flat, where with my loyalty card I can get a cup of coffee for €1.50 with a refill included. I fail to see how that can be a bad thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A new coffee shop, 25 mins walk from my flat, where with my loyalty card I can get a cup of coffee for €1.50 with a refill included. I fail to see how that can be a bad thing.

You're willing to walk for 25 minutes to get a cup of coffee??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Starbucks opens in Sutton: Civil War ensues!

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    You're willing to walk for 25 minutes to get a cup of coffee??

No, but I am willing to walk along the sea front in the evening for leisure purposes for about an hour, and if there is a coffee shop on my way that beats not having the option.

I've coffee shops closer to me but in other directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Starbucks opens in Sutton: Civil War ensues!

:) Be ok if it was a Insomnia coffee shop :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I saw the sign the other day and thought it an odd location alright. Then I thought it was some messer sticking it up for the lolz. Dunno.
    Don't hear anyone ever complaining about overpriced pizza though when you can get a frozen one for two bob...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Is that their price now? I was charged well over 3 euro for a large cappucino in a Dublin Starbucks a few years back.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Don't hear anyone ever complaining about overpriced pizza though when you can get a frozen one for two bob...

Yeah but in that case the cheap ones are low quality whereas Starbucks coffee doesn't justify its higher price. (Although they seem to be cheaper now - I haven't been in one for a long time). I've heard the coffee they serve referred to as 'coffee for people who don't like coffee'. Mind you I don't care for Insomnia coffee either - maybe I'm just picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I tell ya one thing, this will be the death of Munchies! The kids nowadays want creamy Macchiatos and Starbucks treats, not fizzy cola and yummy chicken fillet burgers!Is Munchies still open btw?

As a former local, now remote local (Donaghmede!), I welcome this move, if just to clean up that area

But is it going into Falks for deffo? There seems to be no work being done, whereas it seems all systems go at a former employer, The Blue Lagoon? I would make better sense putting it there, with it having car parking space

• Advertisement

I
    Yeah but in that case the cheap ones are low quality whereas Starbucks coffee doesn't justify its higher price. (Although they seem to be cheaper now - I haven't been in one for a long time). I've heard the coffee they serve referred to as 'coffee for people who don't like coffee'. Mind you I don't care for Insomnia coffee either - maybe I'm just picky.

Nyeh take away pizza is still vastly inflated in price for what it is. I think Starbucks coffee is muck too although I can rarely deny an indugence in an icey mocha. Glad I don't live near either or Munchies chicken burgers anymore or it would be fatty fat fatsville for me :pac:
    Munchies closes early too, before the pub. What's the craic with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Think you might be on the money there flanker. Makes more sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Black Cow

Sign seems to be gone now! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its both good and bad I guess; its in a bit of a weird place, Sutton Cross would've made a lot more sense, would be more like Malahide then. There's nowhere to really "hang out" in Sutton (not that I'd really do that) but it'd give people somewhere to go and a place to meet; Coffey's is not exactly the kind of destination I'm thinking of (and their coffee is gross) but having somewhere like that gives an option for what to do with the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon, y'know? But on the coast road? Not so much.

Anyway, I really really dislike Starbucks coffee, in fact as soon as I saw the sign I got on to Insomnia and said they should open in Sutton too (oh btw Falks is not really in Sutton at all is it). Taking the old Keogh's or Open book site. But they responded saying they had no plans to open there. Its something they SHOULD look into, as the Clontarf and Malahide Road ones are always busy.

Best coffee in the area is in Il Panorama in Howth anyway! :-)

Is that their price now? I was charged well over 3 euro for a large cappucino in a Dublin Starbucks a few years back.

I'm a very boring coffee drinker, I like black coffee, no milk, no sugar. Preferably from a filter machine or a French press, but I'll accept an espresso topped up with water if nothing else is available. For me, Starbucks isn't expensive. I don't like the taste of warm milk, makes me gag.

Then again, I do like to support local businesses and I noticed that the coffee shop on Main St. in Raheny has reopened again after the flood. Similar distance to walk to there for me.

+1. It's the best coffee anywhere, ever. imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Effects wrote: »
    Starbucks isn't a franchise.
    Afraid it is. All new stores opened over the last year are licensed, non-company stores. It's a Franchise. They operate a handful of company stores in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

It's a bit of a stretch to say Howth is in the same area as Coffeys, Il Fornaio & Bay6. By that measure, so too is Insomnia on Vernon Avenue ! And the Red Stables ;) !

Anyway, if Il Panoramo has better coffee than Il Fornaio or Bay6, then we're spoiled ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Its no wonder obesity is on the rise in this country..we're following the american dream alright.
    They sell low fat muffins if you prefer. They taste like shít though. They also tell you how many calories are in everything. If people choose a mocha with 230 calories over an americano with 15 it's not starbucks fault. Take some responsibility for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

What a short-sighted point. Plenty of other cafés, whether they are independent or a part of a chain, sell muffins etc too.

Next you'll be giving out about pubs selling alcohol and crisps. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Afraid it is. All new stores opened over the last year are licensed, non-company stores. It's a Franchise. They operate a handful of company stores in Dublin.
    No, it's still not a franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Which is exactly why I don't drink Starbucks: the coffee is consistently not good.
    How do you know its consistently not good if you dont drink it?

The thing i like about starbucks is their filter coffee, although it can be quite strong at times.
    I really dont get Ireland's obsession with espresso based coffee

I drink it often enough to think it's not consistantly good. I drink it maybe 15 times a year and 14 of those times I don't think it's good.
    You don't unerstand the obsession with espresso? Espresso is how coffee is meant to be made and the spent coffee granules from making espressos is what they use to make filter coffee. Didn't you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sundy wrote: »
    How do you know its consistently not good if you dont drink it?...

I know because I have tried it - on three different continents, as it happens. I gave them a number of chances, and have been disappointed each time: there's your consistency.

I'm a reasonably fast learner, so I figured that Starbucks was not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I thought this thread was supposed to be about rumours that the old Falks Lighting shop on Dublin Road on the way to Sutton was being re-opened as a Starbucks outlet - not about the merits of Starbucks as such.
    There is certainly little sign of any conversion taking place his week at Falks premises and indeed it seemed to me an unlikely location given the lack of parking, absence of any cluster of shops etc. A better location for a branch of Starbucks (or Insomnia, or Costa) would undoubtedly be at Sutton Cross where there are several vacant small shops and a natural footfall with three banks as well as Superquinn. One problem might be that Superquinn are said to own all of the retail units surrounding the supermarket including a cafe called Coffeys and there might be something in the lease of the latter to preclude any competing establishment. Also the empty retail units at Sutton Cross are probably too small for a decent sized Starbucks/Insomnia/Costa unless two or more were combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Id rather see that little deli beside tsb move into a bigger premises then starbucks to at least try keep some sort of local village at sutton cross. Cant see starbucks opening on the howth road either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

There was a sign over the Falks premises, on Friday 16 Dec, that Starbucks were to open there. That sign looked legit, and disappeared the following day.

The merits, and otherwise, of opening in that location versus other locations, are not worth arguing. There's no such sign over any of the vacant units at Sutton Cross. Sutton Cross, IMHO, is a nightmare for parking, specifically turning right coming out of the SQ car park.

There's no other information about them opening in the area, i.e. could not find any planning application with Fingal Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'm convinced this is all a rumour. Falks site is empty, no planning permission notice in window. The old Texaco station is now de-commissioned. Seems the permission for a new station has lapsed.

Yeah I am guessing it must have been a hoax.

Someone must have gotten hold of a sign and stuck it up for the craic. Hah :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

I see the premises is getting a lick of paint.......

Advertisement