Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Unfortunately, they don't really have the space to cater to more than a small handful of people, or to groups of people that want to meet up. They only have one tiny table inside and about 2-3 outside. If it is raining or cold, there is no where to sit. They just don't have the space Insomnia does. Insomnia seem to have taken over the entire footpath outside their shop too, which I'd wonder about the legality of. Good luck to you pushing a baby buggy or a wheel chair and you have to get past all those tables and chairs.

They haven't taken up the whole footpath. It's infinitely better than seeing an empty bank unit. If the coffee shop in Higgins are smart they'll be getting the wind screens like Insomnia have. Too exposed without them.

It's nice to see life in Sutton Cross. Plenty of market for it, too. Should just about mop up the overflow from Coffey's and insomnia will probably bring in business for Higgins butchers - go for a coffee (and have plenty of seating choice), get the meat and then in to superquinn to get the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

They haven't taken up the whole footpath. It's infinitely better than seeing an empty bank unit. If the coffee shop in Higgins are smart they'll be getting the wind screens like Insomnia have. Too exposed without them.

It's nice to see life in Sutton Cross. Plenty of market for it, too. Should just about mop up the overflow from Coffey's and insomnia will probably bring in business for Higgins butchers - go for a coffee (and have plenty of seating choice), get the meat and then in to superquinn to get the shopping.

Thats the problem. There is no longer a Superquinn at Sutton - just another branch of the dreadful SuperValu - good enough perhaps for country towns but out of its depth in Dublin.

Ernest wrote: »
    Thats the problem. There is no longer a Superquinn at Sutton - just another branch of the dreadful SuperValu - good enough perhaps for country towns but out of its depth in Dublin.

It's not too bad tbh, just a bit annoying that for certain things they don't even offer a branded alternative to their own stuff. Especially when their own stuff is rubbish.

And I reserve the right to call it superquinn. That building has been superquinn my whole life and I will continue to call it so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    "New Déli" has closed down. Sign in window thanking people for their support over the last few years.

Drove past here today.

This unit now gutted and work going on.

Anyone know what's going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Drove past here today.

Yea it's gonna be a Starbucks.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

deandean wrote: »
    Yea it's gonna be a Starbucks.

:D:D

Drove past here today.

Heard it's going to be a pizzaria. Great if it is, means there's a full complement of take always on the peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You can pick up pizzas already in Casa Pasta and Krugers.

Yet another Pizza place!!!???? Big Wowee! How much pizza can one peninsula eat?
    or is it:
    Yet another Coffee place!!??? Big Wowee! Enough coffee already! Starbucks is not very special anyway.

tricky D wrote: »
    You can pick up pizzas already in Casa Pasta and Krugers.

These might be nice though.

(Panorama do lovely pizzas but I don't think they do takeaway, plus they're limited to 2 at a time, and the Dog House do nice pizzas you can take away but they're always a bit small)

ETA: plus, if it's an actual dedicated take away they'll probably deliver. Don't think there's anywhere that does nice, decent sized pizzas and delivers them..

• Advertisement

These might be nice though.

(Panorama do lovely pizzas but I don't think they do takeaway, plus they're limited to 2 at a time, and the Dog House do nice pizzas you can take away but they're always a bit small)

ETA: plus, if it's an actual dedicated take away they'll probably deliver. Don't think there's anywhere that does nice, decent sized pizzas and delivers them..
    Dog House ones are ok. Forgot about Il Panorama - understandable, it's that tiny. The place that was where the Big Blue used to be had great big tasty pizzas, and could deliver via Just Eat - pricey. The bad location and cold building unfortunately but unsurprisingly killed them off a few months ago.

I don't think delivery is as much a big deal as most people around have cars and wouldn't have a problem nipping down to collect.

Apache deliver and Centra have 'cardboard' grade pizzas but the less said about those, the better;)

Ernest wrote: »
    Yet another Coffee place!!??? Big Wowee! Enough coffee already! Starbucks is not very special anyway.
    Eh you do realise that it's Insomnia not Starbucks who opened up in the area.

tricky D wrote: »
    Dog House ones are ok. Forgot about Il Panorama - understandable, it's that tiny. The place that was where the Big Blue used to be had great big tasty pizzas, and could deliver via Just Eat - pricey. The bad location and cold building unfortunately but unsurprisingly killed them off a few months ago.
    I don't think delivery is as much a big deal as most people around have cars and wouldn't have a problem nipping down to collect.
    Apache deliver and Centra have 'cardboard' grade pizzas but the less said about those, the better;)

Eh you do realise that it's Insomnia not Starbucks who opened up in the area.

Obviously. I was referring to DeanDean's and BowWow's recent postings which seem to express excitement at the prospect of a Starbucks moving in to the closed premises to the left of Insomnia.

The :D signifies it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Great to see another business opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

this has to be the most misleading thread title ever!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

ongarboy wrote: »
    this has to be the most misleading thread title ever!! :D:D

Meh, give it enough time, eventually it'll become a Starbucks.

Or a bicycle shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

deandean wrote: »
    Meh, give it enough time, eventually it'll become a Starbucks.

Or a bicycle shop.

You can never have enough bike shops.

( or cafes, bakeries and book shops :) )

Heard it's going to be a pizzaria. Great if it is, means there's a full complement of take always on the peninsula.

Confirmed. They're putting on the finishing touches atm.

Any word on whether it's a chain or indy?

Didn't ask and there's no signage yet.

• Advertisement

Stencilling up on the side of it when I was driving past this afternoon. Can't remember the name, but it said delicatessen under the name...

It's something like Il Momento ie. 'a moment' or similar in english according to the builder I spoke to.

Yeah it looked something like that, I think it began with M and had a double t somewhere in it... Will have a look again tomorrow :P

Minetta...

This looks like it... https://twitter.com/MinettaDeli

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Coffee shop in the sutton cross centre is closing down and being replaced by a Starbucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

subpar wrote: »
    Coffee shop in the sutton cross centre is closing down and being replaced by a Starbucks

Coffey's?

I heard Coffey's is closing down alright :( Disaster to see it replaced with starbucks if that's serious. There'd be nowhere left in sutton cross to get a proper meal at breakfast or lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's rotten news. I love a venti caramel macchiato as much as the next person, but not at the expense of being able to get proper food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

subpar wrote: »

It wasn't a great cafe to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It wasn't a great cafe to be honest.

It's great, in fairness. Reasonably priced, serves proper food. Where else does that in the area? Cakes are nice and all, but if I actually want my lunch I don't want a cake or some ****e pre-packed salad from starbucks.

Advertisement