Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The food at Coffeys certainly isn't upmarket, but at least it is actual food food that is cooked/prepared fresh on the premises. Sometimes you need more than a muffin to fill your tummy ! The grub at the new Minetta deli is really good, but sadly, there is no eat in option. The hotel does decent food, but they have weird serving hours. They have a big gap in the afternoon where they don't serve anything other than scones, brownies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Deenie123 wrote: »
    It's great, in fairness. Reasonably priced, serves proper food.

Fair enough. Just had a coffee there. It wasn't good. Amazing it's going/gone if the food was that good and there's nothing else in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Fair enough. Just had a coffee there. It wasn't good. Amazing it's going/gone if the food was that good and there's nothing else in the area.

I'm not saying the food is anything to write home about (and the coffee isn't fantastic, but the tea is :D), however, it's actually real food instead of sugar topped with sugar.

I believe it's nothing to do with popularity, either, what I heard is that yet again, rents are up and businesses with good trade are being priced out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd be happy to see a Starbucks in the centre. Plenty of parking at side of Coffeys.
    I'm not mad on Coffees, bit of a greasy spoon establishment and I notice lately that numbers using it are well down (Insomnia's fault?).
    On the others at the cross -
    Higgins - no longer have tables outside and only a couple of stools inside. I don't use them at all now.
    Minetta - only have tables outside, no awning, have yet to use them, and probably wont till weather gets better!
    Marine - Plenty of parking, but expensive, 2 coffees and two scones are nearly €15.
    Insomnia - good value, 2 coffees and two scones about €8, has awning, only complaint I have is turnover of staff, always changing. Also parking to side of Minetta looks like clamping is about to be an issue with all the new signs.

Summary - Starbucks in Coffeys premises, with parking and good value could do very well........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BowWow wrote: »
    Summary - Starbucks in Coffeys premises, with parking and good value could do very well........

I reckon all retailers in the area will be v happy with this.
    Should draw more people here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The hotel does decent food, but they have weird serving hours.

My own experience is otherwise. I've had better sandwiches and other food in the Bus Eireann shed in Monaghan. The pints also leave a bit to be desired.

/my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I'd be happy to see a Starbucks in the centre. Plenty of parking at side of Coffeys.
    I'm not mad on Coffees, bit of a greasy spoon establishment and I notice lately that numbers using it are well down (Insomnia's fault?).
    On the others at the cross -
    Higgins - no longer have tables outside and only a couple of stools inside. I don't use them at all now.
    Minetta - only have tables outside, no awning, have yet to use them, and probably wont till weather gets better!
    Marine - Plenty of parking, but expensive, 2 coffees and two scones are nearly €15.
    Insomnia - good value, 2 coffees and two scones about €8, has awning, only complaint I have is turnover of staff, always changing. Also parking to side of Minetta looks like clamping is about to be an issue with all the new signs.

in fairness to higgins place its the middle of winter now so not exactly a rush on outdoor seating. Seen few cars clamped in the last week there aswell.

Coffeys seemed like a place for grannies in fairness.

So, it turns out Coffeys is not closing - purely a rumour.

However, Starbucks IS opening - just not in Sutton. Starbucks will be opening in the old El Paso building on Harbour Road in Howth, which is currently having massive works done to it

neris wrote: »
    in fairness to higgins place its the middle of winter now so not exactly a rush on outdoor seating.

Outdoor seating in Insomnia is well used - lots of smokers still in Sutton:D

However, Starbucks IS opening - just not in Sutton. Starbucks will be opening in the old El Paso building on Harbour Road in Howth, which is currently having massive works done to it

This needs a new thread!

How about this for the title ?

Starbucks opening in Howth !

• Advertisement

This needs a new thread!

How about this for the title ?

Starbucks opening in Howth !

I'll amend the title when there's a bit more confirmation.

Ah sure leave it as it is, I think it suits all the rumour and speculation already in the thread quite well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

howth has a great selection of little coffee shops as it is. hope starbucks isnt opening howth doesnt need a large multi national

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

neris wrote: »
    howth has a great selection of little coffee shops as it is. hope starbucks isnt opening howth doesnt need a large multi national

Multi-nationals bring competition and cause other retailers to up their game. You only hear of overpriced, poor quality bars/retailers giving out about multi-nationals opening in a new area. If you are a good value, high quality independent cafe. Starbucks opening in the area wont bother you, as they arent competition.

hfallada wrote: »
    Multi-nationals bring competition and cause other retailers to up their game. You only hear of overpriced, poor quality bars/retailers giving out about multi-nationals opening in a new area. If you are a good value, high quality independent cafe. Starbucks opening in the area wont bother you, as they arent competition.

Howth's a bit of a strange one though. It's not on the way to anywhere, no natural passing traffic, so there's really a maximum number that can be supported by the locals. Busy warm Sundays don't keep a shop afloat in the depths of winter.

There are a few nice places that absolutely aren't overpriced, owned and run by, and employ local people. Would hate to see them hurt by starbucks.

Just hopefully there's enough business that they don't all get spread too thinly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Howth's a bit of a strange one though. It's not on the way to anywhere, no natural passing traffic, so there's really a maximum number that can be supported by the locals. Busy warm Sundays don't keep a shop afloat in the depths of winter.

In my experience Howth gets loads of footfall from tourists all year round, and a Starbucks in what was the El Paso building should do very well.

I dragged the kids out for a walk last Sunday and the Cliff path was packed with tourists.

Il Panorama could suffer with the opening of Starbucks. Visitors coming from the DART, looking for a coffee, would have to pass Starbucks and Mauds to find Il Panorama.

TarfHead wrote: »
    Il Panorama could suffer with the opening of Starbucks. Visitors coming from the DART, looking for a coffee, would have to pass Starbucks and Mauds to find Il Panorama.

Il Panarama opened a branch up recently in Portmarnock so hopefully that will offset the threat to some degree. Also, as it is so small and has quite a loyal customer base might help further against the competition. Probably my favourite coffee in Howth so here's hoping.

In my experience Howth gets loads of footfall from tourists all year round, and a Starbucks in what was the El Paso building should do very well.

I dragged the kids out for a walk last Sunday and the Cliff path was packed with tourists.

The number of businesses that can't stay afloat in Howth would disagree with you. Tourists arrive in, they might buy a coffee, maybe a bite to eat in the market. That's it. The place is often deserted when it's wet.

That's on a Sunday though. Howth will always get day trippers at the weekend, regardless of the season or the weather. It's a different story Monday to Friday, for about 6 month of the year. That being said, judging by the number of restaurants on the west pier that seem to be doing well, the money to support them all must be coming from somewhere. A Starbucks opening could affect them too, as I often see people sitting outside them, consuming nothing but coffee or a glass of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

The number of businesses that can't stay afloat in Howth would disagree with you. Tourists arrive in, they might buy a coffee, maybe a bite to eat in the market. That's it. The place is often deserted when it's wet.

It's jammed even in winter when dry. I couldn't get a seat in any restsurant on jan 2 at 2pm.

• Advertisement

Furthermore the queue at beshoffs can run down the street in good weather. I actually don't go to Howth in summer.

Furthermore the queue at beshoffs can run down the street in good weather. I actually don't go to Howth in summer.

So you don't live in Howth and wouldn't know what it's like for the vast majority of the time then? Enough said.

It's jammed even in winter when dry. I couldn't get a seat in any restsurant on jan 2 at 2pm.

The day after New Years Day and a Friday to boot, isn't representative of what Howth is like, all winter long. A lot of people would have had leisure time to fill, as they wouldn't have gone back to work or college or whatever, until the following Monday.

Yes, when the weather is good. Howth is always jammers when the sun is shining. No one is denying that. But what about the the other 200 days of the year when it is freezing cold, lashing rain and practically pitch dark by 4 o'clock?

So you don't live in Howth and wouldn't know what it's like for the vast majority of the time then? Enough said.

I should have said "anymore". I used to live there. It's clearly busy. Of course tourists don't flock to a place on a wet Thursday in Jan. That's true of most tourist places.

The day after New Years Day and a Friday to boot, isn't representative of what Howth is like, all winter long. A lot of people would have had leisure time to fill, as they wouldn't have gone back to work or college or whatever, until the following Monday.

Yes, when the weather is good. Howth is always jammers when the sun is shining. No one is denying that. But what about the the other 200 days of the year when it is freezing cold, lashing rain and practically pitch dark by 4 o'clock?

Still pretty busy at weekends. Just less busy than mid-Summer. In other shocking news day is brighter than night time.

Of course Howth can handle a Starbucks.

Of course Howth can handle a Starbucks.

I never said it couldn't. I was refuting your suggestion that Howth is busy all year around, based on your seeing a long queue outside Beshoffs when the weather is nice, or not being able to get a seat in a restaurant during the Xmas/New Year holiday period. Go back out there on a freezing cold day in February and see how hard it is then, to get a table in a restaurant.

I never said it couldn't. I was refuting your suggestion that Howth is busy all year around, based on your seeing a long queue outside Beshoffs when the weather is nice, or not being able to get a seat in a restaurant during the Xmas/New Year holiday period. Go back out there on a freezing cold day in February and see how hard it is then, to get a table in a restaurant.

This whole thread is about a Starbucks in Sutton ( now Howth) and it was Deenie123 who mentioned the "number of failed businesses in Howth" in reply to somebody who suggested howth's a busy place. As if businesses couldnt fail anywhere.

My feeling is this Starbucks will also have queues out the door on busy weekends and do as well or better than any suburban Starbucks in Dublin on rainy Thursdays in Jan. Passing trade and day trippers are what coffee shops live for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'm around Howth most weeks on the bike. I've never seen it deserted. The cliff walk is popular all year round.

I'd guess Starbucks wouldn't have considered opening there if that wasn't the case.

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Sutton is an odd place. Anytime I drive through it I wonder why there aren't any pubs in the "village". It must be terribly boring living around there. I know there's bar in the hotel but apart from that you're pretty screwed. Why are there no pubs there? Are Suttonians too posh for boozers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

There has never been a pub in Sutton , in fact it is probably the only district in Dublin that does not have a pub. Despite this it is certainly not an odd place to live , quite the opposite in fact.

Advertisement