Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

subpar wrote: »
    There has never been a pub in Sutton , in fact it is probably the only district in Dublin that does not have a pub. Despite this it is certainly not an odd place to live , quite the opposite in fact.

Well our nice pubs are one of the things that I like most about Dublin. I was driving past those "Offington" places and thinking why people would pay those extortionate prices for a flat there when there are no facilities nearby.
    Yes you have the sea and Howth but they're not much good to you after work on a dreary Wednesday night in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

Well our nice pubs are one of the things that I like most about Dublin. I was driving past those "Offington" places and thinking why people would pay those extortionate prices for a flat there when there are no facilities nearby.
    Yes you have the sea and Howth but they're not much good to you after work on a dreary Wednesday night in January.

Eh, Offington is within walking distance of the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sutton is an odd place. Anytime I drive through it I wonder why there aren't any pubs in the "village". It must be terribly boring living around there. I know there's bar in the hotel but apart from that you're pretty screwed. Why are there no pubs there? Are Suttonians too posh for boozers?

It's not odd at all & neither is it boring. Living by the sea never is imo. It's a wonderful place to live. Not everyone judge places by their proximity to pubs. There are several of them in Baldoyle if you are that obsessed with having a pint. The Elphin Lounge is on the corner of the coast road and Baldoyle Rd. It is a two minute walk from my house & I live a 5 minute walk from Sutton Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Sutton is an odd place. Anytime I drive through it I wonder why there aren't any pubs in the "village". It must be terribly boring living around there. I know there's bar in the hotel but apart from that you're pretty screwed. Why are there no pubs there? Are Suttonians too posh for boozers?
    Not at all! Buy a slab in Superquinn and make your way to the Burrow Beach. But bring your empties home with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

ProudDUB wrote: »
    It's not odd at all & neither is it boring. Living by the sea never is imo. It's a wonderful place to live. Not everyone judge places by their proximity to pubs. There are several of them in Baldoyle if you are that obsessed with having a pint. The Elphin Lounge is on the corner of the coast road and Baldoyle Rd. It is a two minute walk from my house & I live a 5 minute walk from Sutton Cross.

Sure. But the "centre" -- the cross -- of Sutton is fairly dull. The area around is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There is no pubs in Sutton but if you do want a drink there is the marine hotel.
    Now hardly a lively spot and quite boring for young folks but it's something..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Suburban pubs are pretty dreary places on Wednesday nights in January too ;). And the 'burbs are, almost by definition, places that don't have a choice of pubs nearby.

There is no pubs in Sutton but if you do want a drink there is the marine hotel.
    Now hardly a lively spot and quite boring for young folks but it's something..

There's also not a whole lot of point. Anyone from Sutton who wants to drink will go to Baldoyle or Howth, where there's ample selection.

Sutton's very much a daytime place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think you,ll find most people dont have a oub on top of their list when buying in an area. No pubs in sutton but plenty in howth. Never heard anyone complaining that theres no pub in sutton. Most people are happy to go to howth or the summit for a pint

I love Sutton! Drink in the Marine the odd time; either walk into Howth or down to Baldoyle if I fancy going out for a pint. There's a lovely vibe in Sutton, very friendly and accepting. Safe as houses too.

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Not at all! Buy a slab in Superquinn and make your way to the Burrow Beach. But bring your empties home with you

Last summer was a great one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

There's a bar in Suttonians Rugby Club......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Will it be at Sutton cross or Howth Village ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

TarfHead wrote: »
    In my experience Howth gets loads of footfall from tourists all year round, and a Starbucks in what was the El Paso building should do very well.
    Visitors coming from the DART, looking for a coffee, would have to pass Starbucks and Mauds to find Il Panorama.

Mauds has closed down. Unit was split in two and half of it has already reopened as "Eileens" coffee shop.

Will it be at Sutton cross or Howth Village ?

Howth Village. The Sutton reference is from 3 years ago and is now, in this context, out of date.

BowWow wrote: »
    Mauds has closed down.

I was never a fan of that place. In my experience the people working there were in the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

I was never a fan of that place. In my experience the people working there were in the wrong job.

100% agree!

Howth harbour! The village is up from the harbour!

Dont think the lady that owned Mauds impressed Joe Duffy last year either when she said the kids running amook in Howth werent from the area.

Theres another little Tea rooms besides Mauds/Eileens aswell that opened last year

neris wrote: »
    Dont think the lady that owned Mauds impressed Joe Duffy last year either when she said the kids running amook in Howth werent from the area.

Theres another little Tea rooms besides Mauds/Eileens aswell that opened last year

I actually feel sorry for her over that one. It was blatently obvious that the little scrotes weren't from Howth. The fact that they all arrived in on the dart was a big clue about that :rolleyes:

But no... Joe of Deh Peeepel wanted to portray her as some kind of snob, rather than someone who just happens to have reasonably functioning eyes and ears.

On the topic of Mauds closing, I heard that it wasn't that that business itself failed, it was linked to the failure of another business. Hence why "Eileen's" opened so quickly afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This thread's turned out to be very interesting!

I was heading past the building originally mentioned, the old Faulks Lighting shop and it looks like the more recent tenants (builder providers) are shipping out. Signage is gone, shop is empty. I did think it was weird that a builders provider would have a sea view property. I hope they haven't gone bust and that they are simply moving.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This thread's turned out to be very interesting!

I was heading past the building originally mentioned, the old Faulks Lighting shop and it looks like the more recent tenants (builder providers) are shipping out. Signage is gone, shop is empty. I did think it was weird that a builders provider would have a sea view property. I hope they haven't gone bust and that they are simply moving.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

The news on the street is that it's gonna be a Starbucks.

:D

deandean wrote: »
    The news on the street is that it's gonna be a Starbucks.
    :D

Not a Starbucks. But unfortunatly its another chain. Insomnia. Just drove by this morning and saw an Insomnia poster on the hoarding around the site that wsnt there on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

neris wrote: »
    Not a Starbucks. But unfortunatly its another chain. Insomnia. Just drove by this morning and saw an Insomnia poster on the hoarding around the site that wsnt there on Saturday

Not only are Insomnia Irish, they are also a well run business and a good employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Not only are Insomnia Irish, they are also a well run business and a good employer.

Insomnia certainly have better coffee than Starbucks. This new(ish) branch at Sutton Cross is very spacious and pleasant as well.

Ernest wrote: »
    Insomnia certainly have better coffee than Starbucks. This new(ish) branch at Sutton Cross is very spacious and pleasant as well.

But the staff are a-holes, in my experience of frequenting the dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

But the staff are a-holes, in my experience of frequenting the dump.

Why would you frequent a dump served by a-holes??:confused::confused::confused: Surely one visit would by your last?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Why would you frequent a dump served by a-holes??:confused::confused::confused: Surely one visit would by your last?

Twas next door to my gaff, at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Tthere are no "gaffs" in Sutton

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Rude staff are usually a barometer of the clientele.

Be nice to staff and they're nice back.

Advertisement