Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Rude staff are usually a barometer of the clientele.

Be nice to staff and they're nice back.

Or they're a barometer of poor management, being overworked and being underpaid.

That said, I always find the staff in Insomnia to be lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Deenie123 wrote: »
    Or they're a barometer of poor management, being overworked and being underpaid.

That said, I always find the staff in Insomnia to be lovely.

I'd be surprised if the former is the case, to be honest.

I agree the staff are fine - in any of the branches I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Open now and just in time for the Prawn festival this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

neris wrote: »
    Open now and just in time for the Prawn festival this weekend

Whaattt ?????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And there's also some amusements for the Prawn Festival: ferris wheel, dodgems and the like.

Word to the wise: the traffic from Kilbarrack to Sutton Cross will be bad if the weekend is sunny, so think about getting the DART instead of driving or the bus.

• Advertisement

tricky D wrote: »
    And there's also some amusements for the Prawn Festival: ferris wheel, dodgems and the like.

Word to the wise: the traffic from Kilbarrack to Sutton Cross will be bad if the weekend is sunny, so think about getting the DART instead of driving or the bus.

This is the first I've heard of a prawn festival at Sutton Cross. There's an excellent craft butcher there and a very nice Insomnia and there used to be an outstanding Superquinn before it closed..... but a Prawn Festival??

The Prawn festival is in Howth and has been running for as few years now.

http://dublinbayprawnfestival.ie/

The Prawn festival is in Howth and has been running for as few years now.

http://dublinbayprawnfestival.ie/

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this thread headed STARBUCKS OPENING IN SUTTON.
    Your posting has nothing to do with with either Starbucks or Sutton or even coffee.

The thread started as Starbucks opening at the bottom of Kilbarrack Road which might or might not be in Sutton depending on opinion. Then it moved on to Insomnia at Sutton Cross, because the Kilbarrack outlet didn't happen or was just rumour, and now has moved on to Insomnia in Howth. Thread title edited accordingly.

As for the Prawn Festival post, it's just some additional info for anybody interested in attending.

The thread started as Starbucks opening at the bottom of Kilbarrack Road which might or might not be in Sutton depending on opinion. Then it moved on to Insomnia at Sutton Cross, because the Kilbarrack outlet didn't happen or was just rumour, and now has moved on to Insomnia in Howth. Thread title edited accordingly.

As for the Prawn Festival post, it's just some additional info for anybody interested in attending.

Can people change the title of existing threads just like that??

I'm glad to hear there is an Insomnia in Howth, which was news to me. There was talk of a new Starbucks being opened in Howth (previously rumoured for Sutton or Kilbarrack) but I don't know if it has opened or will open.

Howth, being a fishing harbour, might well have fish-related festivals from time to time and good luck to it with that but such festivals seem a bit off the point for a thread about rumoured new coffee shops.

• Advertisement

Ernest wrote: »
    Can people change the title of existing threads just like that??
    If it keeps healthy discussion going and evolving, then it's fine.
    Ernest wrote: »
    Howth, being a fishing harbour, might well have fish-related festivals from time to time and good luck to it with that but such festivals seem a bit off the point for a thread about rumoured new coffee shops.

It's helpful info for some.

Lastly, if you have any issue with moderation, free free to PM any of us mods but please do not discuss on thread. Likewise if you have a problem with a post use the report function. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

On the subject of coffee.......

Down the road from the first-mentioned possible Starbucks location (beside Apache Pizza) is the Blackbanks Garden Centre.

There's a guy in there who has set up what I'd call a 'boutique coffee shop'. He has a small sign saying Urbn Coffee.

I appreciate a really good coffee, and honestly this guy's coffee is as good as I've ever had, anywhere. Recommended! (I am not related to him in any way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Title - Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

I'd just like to say I don't like this title - Insomnia was never Starbucks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Rumour is that Coffey's at the cross is not renewing their lease and Starbucks are planning on opening

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Just to confuse or clarify things further... the original premises that this thread was about (sea front commercial property that used to be Faulks lighting) is now a bathroom/tile/stone place.

Think it's called "the Stone Emporium" Best of luck to the new proprietors.

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Rumour is that Coffey's at the cross is not renewing their lease and Starbucks are planning on opening

It's got 3 weeks to go before closing according to the local rumour mill. Rent too high and Insomnia, Higgins and Minetta eating into their market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

God the local rumour mill isn't leaving Coffeys alone. At this stage it's either malicious or true, or malicious turned true. I'd believe it about the rents, though. Still would be an awful shame to see a local business go like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

A friend of mine spoke to the owner of coffees and she confirmed theyll be finished in three weeks and starbucks is moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

dublinjen wrote: »
    A friend of mine spoke to the owner of coffees and she confirmed theyll be finished in three weeks and starbucks is moving in

Shame about the recent change in the thread title :P :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

LOL, think the thread title needs to change back to Starbucks again! It's official this time. See below from today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/starbucks-to-take-over-cafe-1.2209572

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

ongarboy wrote: »
    LOL, think the thread title needs to change back to Starbucks again! It's official this time. See below from today's Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/starbucks-to-take-over-cafe-1.2209572

Insomnia is in the old TSB building in Sutton, AND the old el paso building in Howth. Starbucks is also opening in sutton.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

well, that brings all the rumours to an end I guess.
    We all need to sit down, take a deep breath and have a cup of tea after all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

So as it turns out, Starbucks are opening in Sutton after all. Not sure where, but they're advertising for staff.

Edit: Ooops missed previous post on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

So as it turns out, Starbucks are opening in Sutton after all. Not sure where

See post 225 in this thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

BowWow wrote: »
    See post 225 in this thread :)

Ha I'm blind. Scrolled right past that.

Passed coffeys last week and all closed up. looked starnge not seeing the blue rinse brigade munching on their morning scones.

does anyone remember when the newsagents was in whats now the butchers and there was a coffee shop in there at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

neris wrote: »
    Passed coffeys last week and all closed up. looked starnge not seeing the blue rinse brigade munching on their morning scones.

does anyone remember when the newsagents was in whats now the butchers and there was a coffee shop in there at the time

The butchers in Sutton was previously XtraVision

Keoghs was where Higgins Butchers is now which can be just made out in this image.

Many years previously Higgins was where Insomnia is now. You can see the red and white butchers canopy to the left.

4380401827_ed17831df1.jpg

Keoghs then moved to smaller newer premises (I think where Kanoodle is now) when Superquinn redeveloped properties (the old cinema frontage) to the east and Xtravision took over Keoghs old premises. Fergal Quinn protected Keoghs and the flower shop by not competing with them. He's that kind of person still. That ended when Quinns sold the business and the new owners changed the policy. The writing was on the wall after that.

at that time xtra vision was up above keoghs (now higgins) before they moved downstairs. was a poxy little video shop till they moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Starting from tonight, Minetta (the Italian deli) next door to Insomnia, are going to stay open until 9pm. Business must be good if they are staying open later. Fair play to them for such a tiny, little shop. I hope they get some decent weather that makes sitting outside enjoyable, as they have no seating inside.

Advertisement