Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia (was Starbucks) opening in Sutton and now Howth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Starbucks in old Coffees is now open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Starting from tonight, Minetta (the Italian deli) next door to Insomnia, are going to stay open until 9pm. Business must be good if they are staying open later. Fair play to them for such a tiny, little shop. I hope they get some decent weather that makes sitting outside enjoyable, as they have no seating inside.

Presume that's a typo. Just in case and for the benefit of others it does have seating.

tricky D wrote: »
    Presume that's a typo. Just in case and for the benefit of others it does have seating.

How many seats inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

tricky D wrote: »

I said inside seating. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

slightly off topic but i see theres a leo burdocks chipper opening up across from the dart station in howth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I had my first-ever cappucino in the new Starbucks this morning. And very nice it was too.

neris wrote: »
    slightly off topic but i see theres a leo burdocks chipper opening up across from the dart station in howth

Opening on Thursday or Friday.

In the new Sutton Starbucks today. Wasn't impressed. The seating is terrible. The tables are tiny, they are far too close together and are at a weird height for the seating. They are probably ok for one person sitting there on a laptop, but they are not big enough for a couple of people to get together for a cuppa and a chat & do it in comfort. You'd be on top of the people at the table next to you & you can forget about it if you have a baby buggy. The worst part is the narrow wood bench seating that runs along the entire wall. It's like what you'd sit on at Mass. Very uncomfortable. I'll be sticking with Minetta Deli and Insomnia in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Does anyone know when the Insomnia opens on the Navan Road? Great to have my favourite coffee shop only 5 mins from my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

not too gone on insomnia. prefer java republic

• Advertisement

Roquentin wrote: »
    not too gone on insomnia. prefer java republic

Never been! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Never been! :eek:

java republic is lovely. they dont have a shop as far as im aware, but they supply coffee to shops.

o briens coffee is also nice as well. not too gone on starbucks or costa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Does anyone know when the Insomnia opens on the Navan Road? Great to have my favourite coffee shop only 5 mins from my house.

I actually was driving home the other evening and spotted it. It looked open while I drove by. The new clinic development around it looks very well but I'm kind of surprised a coffee chain opened in a residential area with no other retail presence around it.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I actually was driving home the other evening and spotted it. It looked open while I drove by. The new clinic development around it looks very well but I'm kind of surprised a coffee chain opened in a residential area with no other retail presence around it.

Thanks. Id say they'll do well with all the footfall on the Navan Road though.

Thanks. Id say they'll do well with all the footfall on the Navan Road though.

Definitely open according to their website. Outdoor area looks really nice!

http://www.insomnia.ie/2015/07/insomnia-ready-to-go-on-navan-road/

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In the new Sutton Starbucks today. Wasn't impressed. The seating is terrible. The tables are tiny, they are far too close together and are at a weird height for the seating. They are probably ok for one person sitting there on a laptop, but they are not big enough for a couple of people to get together for a cuppa and a chat & do it in comfort. You'd be on top of the people at the table next to you & you can forget about it if you have a baby buggy. The worst part is the narrow wood bench seating that runs along the entire wall. It's like what you'd sit on at Mass. Very uncomfortable. I'll be sticking with Minetta Deli and Insomnia in future.

Have now visited 3 times, service is dreadful - very slow. Starting to attract lots of loud kids, hogging tables. Best part of this Starbucks is the handy parking! Went back to Insomnia today...

Starbucks is opening in Howth after all!!

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1469245

ongarboy wrote: »
    Starbucks is opening in Howth after all!!

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1469245

Probably an error - think they mean Sutton.

^Would agree. The old Ella property in Howth village is getting a paint job, but it's not for Starbucks. Though another coffee shop has opened up beside the credit union to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Opening in Harbour House (where BikeHub was)

Sorry to hear that. Will probably have a very detrimental effect on the Italian style deli (I think its called Il Panorama) just a few doors down. They do really good hot pressed sambos. The tea rooms a few doors down from that, will probably take a hit too. That's yet more revenue being funneled back to Seattle & away from local business owners. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

The Grind is a welcome addition to Howth. I was surprised that the interior of it was so spartan, but the (3fe) coffee is good and the staff are friendly.

AFAIK, Starbucks is a franchise so may have some local involvement. Il Panoramio may suffer but if its current customer base stay loyal, it could be OK. It could even benefit from people not being able to get a seat in Starbucks and looking elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

TarfHead wrote: »
    The Grind is a welcome addition to Howth. I was surprised that the interior of it was so spartan, but the (3fe) coffee is good and the staff are friendly.

AFAIK, Starbucks is a franchise so may have some local involvement. Il Panoramio may suffer but if its current customer base stay loyal, it could be OK. It could even benefit from people not being able to get a seat in Starbucks and looking elsewhere.

Starbucks for the most part isn't franchised. 99% of them in Ireland are operated by the one company.

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Opening in Harbour House (where BikeHub was)

Starbucks is the coffee equivalent of McDonald's. Im sure if McDs opened in Howth there would be whinging and whining but people will loose themselves in the excitement of an over named over priced coffee and corporate decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Sad news for Il Panorama, they do the best coffee in town and will be next door to the worst coffee in town, yet the droves will be attracted by Starbucks. Il P have a place in Portmarnock too, about the only decent place in that area, hopefully they'll stay OK. I know the owners and they are sound lads.

Avada wrote: »
    Starbucks for the most part isn't franchised. 99% of them in Ireland are operated by the one company.

I think starbucks in ireland is operated under a license/single franchise by the 1 company. Think its the company who run the tgi franchise in ireland aswell

Sad news for Il Panorama, they do the best coffee in town and will be next door to the worst coffee in town, yet the droves will be attracted by Starbucks. Il P have a place in Portmarnock too, about the only decent place in that area, hopefully they'll stay OK. I know the owners and they are sound lads.

+1 love the Cairns sambo! :pac:

neris wrote: »
    I think starbucks in ireland is operated under a license/single franchise by the 1 company. Think its the company who run the tgi franchise in ireland aswell

That's correct. They are called Entertainment Enterprises and also run the Leisureplexes in Blanch, Coolock and soon to open Charlestown, Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If only their coffee wasn't such shi*te. Seriously, I got an Americano from there once and it smelled like ash. I couldn't drink it. The lattes are bearable but only just.

Meanwhile amazing coffee like in Il Panorama or the Italian place on Westland Row (Caffe di Napoli) is out there.

Advertisement