Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing/Feeding Fruit & Veg pulp to Samoyeds

• 16-12-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Looking to see if anyone has tried this.
    We juice alot of fruit & Veg in the house and my question is, has anyone mixed in fruit/veg pulp from a juicer into the dogs food?
    If you do, with what and at what ratio?

The dogs have a varied diet as it is, but I'm always on the look out for something to vary it even more - in a balanced sense, that is.

I'd imagine even with a small portion mixed in to the dry food, that it would make it more palatable. They love whisked egg, tuna or mackerel mixed in as it is.

The dogs are 8 months and 15 months and feed 3 times daily.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

mickmcl09 wrote: »
    Looking to see if anyone has tried this.
    We juice alot of fruit & Veg in the house and my question is, has anyone mixed in fruit/veg pulp from a juicer into the dogs food?
    If you do, with what and at what ratio?

The dogs have a varied diet as it is, but I'm always on the look out for something to vary it even more - in a balanced sense, that is.

I'd imagine even with a small portion mixed in to the dry food, that it would make it more palatable. They love whisked egg, tuna or mackerel mixed in as it is.

The dogs are 8 months and 15 months and feed 3 times daily.

Dogs are no good at fibre. It's absolutely useless nutritionally and is only included in dry food to bulk the product and save money. It bulks and softens the stool to a much greater degree than you would even expect in a human (hence dry fed dogs do big sloppy poos and have anal gland issues). Too much indigestible fibre is shown to be antigenic too, the gut doesn't like too much partially digested stuff hanging around.

That said some cooked veg is a grand addition. They make sure you cover the vit / mineral levels too. But the fibre needs to be cooked / steamed.

Wouldn't recommend throwing in too much raw fibre.

Rest of the stuff sounds great though. Oily fish great for Sammies. Tip - pick up oily fish by the 10kg from fish factories, much cheaper, pick up fish heads too if you can stomach it. Free and best part of the fish (nutritionally but perhaps not taste-ally!). Saw a great vid of some wolves tucking into a heap of salmon that were dying on the shore. All they ate were the heads. Like when you're at a carvery brekkie and you eat 17 rashers.

Advertisement