Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our very own Priory Hall hushed up

Options
  • 16-12-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks,

I am currently on rent allowance and woke up this morning to a lot of hullabaloo in my apartment building, so stumbling out of bed to the front door where the post is usually kept all the neighbours are there in a huff about something.

I pick up a letter and its from the community welfare services, upon opening it there is a notice of discontinued rental allowance. On further inspection the letter states that the accomodation building is of questionable standard and does not represent good value for money to justify continued payment of rent allowance. It goes further to say that rent allowance will be discontinued from January 2012.

It then passes the buck to our landlord saying if we have any queries to take it up with him. Now the thing is Im seperate from the main apartment building in a cottage/mews out the back of the building, It's clean tidy and I love its quirkiness. Our Landlord is a good guy who never fails if anything goes wrong. Any request for new carpet, bed, freezer have always been provided within a day of request.

I've only been on rent allowance since August and am dissapointed that I may be forced to searching the city for another landlord who accepts rent alowance, I have UPC installed the past 4 months and don't relish any fines for breaking my contract with them. What are my rights in this matter? Any advise on where to proceed in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

padma wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I am currently on rent allowance and woke up this morning to a lot of hullabaloo in my apartment building, so stumbling out of bed to the front door where the post is usually kept all the neighbours are there in a huff about something.

I pick up a letter and its from the community welfare services, upon opening it there is a notice of discontinued rental allowance. On further inspection the letter states that the accomodation building is of questionable standard and does not represent good value for money to justify continued payment of rent allowance. It goes further to say that rent allowance will be discontinued from January 2012.

It then passes the buck to our landlord saying if we have any queries to take it up with him. Now the thing is Im seperate from the main apartment building in a cottage/mews out the back of the building, It's clean tidy and I love its quirkiness. Our Landlord is a good guy who never fails if anything goes wrong. Any request for new carpet, bed, freezer have always been provided within a day of request.

I've only been on rent allowance since August and am dissapointed that I may be forced to searching the city for another landlord who accepts rent alowance, I have UPC installed the past 4 months and don't relish any fines for breaking my contract with them. What are my rights in this matter? Any advise on where to proceed in the future?

Please. go to the Citizen's Information with all the papers. They are experts in this kind of thing. Good luck, and let us know?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

I have UPC installed the past 4 months and don't relish any fines for breaking my contract with them.
    If you are moving house then UPC will let you transfer your contract to the new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... On further inspection the letter states that the accomodation building is of questionable standard and does not represent good value for money to justify continued payment of rent allowance....

Now the thing is Im seperate from the main apartment building in a cottage/mews out the back of the building...

It might be worth your while contacting the CWO and pointing out that the accommodation provided to you is of a different type to that of the rest of the group who received the letters, and asking that your situation be treated differently.

[I think that your Priory Hall simile is a bit OTT.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

The priory Hall is a headline grabber :) I'm going to a local politician and citizens advice Monday to see where to take this, but will be looking to be treated separately alright. I've painted this place recently and also bought a lot of soft furnishings to make the place homely so don't relish another move.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... I'm going to a local politician and citizens advice Monday ...

I suggest that you re-arrange your schedule: start with the CWO. If you can get agreement there, it is swift and easy. Other approaches involve chains of A talking to B talking to C talking to ...

• Advertisement

good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I pick up a letter and its from the community welfare service...It goes further to say that rent allowance will be discontinued from January 2012.

Could you explain this a bit more Padma? I'm not sure how RA can be discontinued, unless they mean it's switching to RAS (which isn't the same as the payments just stopping).

[/B]

Could you explain this a bit more Padma? I'm not sure how RA can be discontinued, unless they mean it's switching to RAS (which isn't the same as the payments just stopping).

It says on the letter that your rent allowance will be discontinued as they feel the aprtments do not represent good value. They go further saying you need to find alternative accomodation and reapply for rent allowance for your new accomodation. The thing is they've never even darkened my door...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

It says on the letter that your rent allowance will be discontinued as they feel the aprtments do not represent good value. They go further saying you need to find alternative accomodation and reapply for rent allowance for your new accomodation. The thing is they've never even darkened my door...

Ah, I see. They mean it'll be discontinued for that specific property. Tks & good luck.

Advertisement