Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fence won't take creosote substitute

• 16-12-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi all had about 100m of 3 bar wooden fence fitted about 7 years ago. I used a decent quality red dark wood stain on it first which was fine & lasted about 5 years.

I restained using same stain but the 2nd time the fence looked really shabby after about 2 years.

So what I've done is tried a dark oak creosote substitute looks fine when it goes on but when it dries its not completely taking to the red wood stain so the whole thing is patchy.

The parts where the fence is down to bare wood seem to be ok and take the creosote but patchy elsewhere.

So is it a question of another few coats of creosote or go back to the wood stain.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

No idea on your question although I do have one of my own

what the heck are you doing painting an outdoor fence in december???? :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Chances are there is a waxy substance in the red stain. The creosote substitute won't bond to the wax.
    This leaves you with two options - remove the red stain and apply the CS or keep going with the red stain.

Painting at this time of year will probably do more harm than good because all you will be doing is sealing moisture into the wood.

Advertisement