Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope help

Options
  • 16-12-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey guys was just wondering what would be a good scope for a .22l. Nothing crazy expensive just something to get started.Just hope i get the tickets now still waiting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Its been discontinued but if you can get your mits on a hawke endurance 3-10 x 44 with a map 8 reticle youll be set.
    I got one of these for the .22. Its cheap as chips but more than does the job. It was specifically designed for use with a .22lr shooting subsonic ammo. You zero at 75yds and each dot down allows for a holdover equal to 25yd increase.
    I think mine cost me 80 euro.
    Holds a good zero too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Stick one of these on my .22 recently as the Tasco was showing it's age.

Hawke Varmint SF.

Good scope, clear, good mag, mil-dot reticle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ezridax wrote: »
    Stick one of these on my .22 recently as the Tasco was showing it's age.

Hawke Varmint SF.

Good scope, clear, good mag, mil-dot reticle.

+1 I have the same one on my CZ, pretty happy with it, paid €170 for it.

Paid €169. Go back and demand a refund.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi i have a nice nikko sterling that would be more than enough for your rifle and i would give you a hand set it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

Hawke Panorama EV is better than Hawke Varmint SF and I would definitely go with Hawke Panorama 4-12x40 AO. It is well worth the price difference.

I know what you're saying, but while most scopes can be imported/bought abroad, and shipped in scopes such as the Hawke Varmint are readily available while other models/brands are not, and you could be facing a week to a month of a wait for a scope.

Thats the reason why you'll see "inferior" scopes recommended. For no other reason than availability. Plus on a .22lr (for hunting) there is no need for a €300/€400/€500+ scope (IMO). No recoil, and once the image/glass is clear, and good i wouldn't concern myself too much with names, brands, etc.

Hawke Panorama EV is readily available by any Hawke dealer just as Hawke Varmint SF scopes are.

The price diference is 20€ and it really worth it, because panorama series has much better glass.

http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/hawke-panorama-4-12x40-ao.html

http://www.optics-trade.eu/shop/en/hawke-varmint-4-16x44-sf.html

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    Hawke Panorama EV is readily available by any Hawke dealer just as Hawke Varmint SF scopes are.
    Yet i haven't seen one. not saying they are not available, but i have not seen one and posted above based on that.
    The price diference is 20€ and it really worth it, because panorama series has much better glass.
    The price difference is €50 normally going on the link above, and €30 with the "special price".
    You have the SF priced as €179. They are cheaper here so why buy abroad?

The price diference is 197,10 - 179,10 = 18€!!!

I didn't post links to imply on buying a scope in my shop but only to show both products. Buying scopes bellow approx. 300€ abroad is normally not economical because of shipping costs.

Bottom point of my posts in this topic is that Hawke Panorama are better scopes than Hawke Varmint SF are and this is my honest opinion. I will not post links any more since you may get me wrong again.

Where and how you should buy this scopes is a personal choice and none of my business.

• Advertisement

De_Tomaso wrote: »
    The price diference is 197,10 - 179,10 = 18€!!!
    Normal price (Panorama) = €219 - €169 (SF) here so thats a €50 difference.
    Sale price (Panorama) = €197 - €169 (SF) here so that a €28 difference.

I'm not debating the prices with you as they speak for themselves, and i realise they are two different models, but for;
    a.j.m1981 wrote:
    Nothing crazy expensive just something to get started
    ....... the varmint SF would be the cheapest, and IMO (only) the best available. There are the other makes and models for €40 - €80 (off ebay and such) that while tempting i would not trust.

For the €200 mark or more you have other options such as the Bushnell Banner, etc.

Quite frankly i have never seen a Hawke Panorama so cannot compare quality, and will concede the point of clarity based on your experience with them.

Advertisement