Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The positive work done by Fingal in N.C.D.

Options
  • 16-12-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Well we have a thread where has all the money gone and I thought we might take a look at the positive work being done in N.C.D by Fingal.

The latest work I see done in Rush is in Kenure woods. The place was an eyesore with a horrible feel to it. Everything was left overgrown, dead trees, litter and a haven for anti-social behaviour. However Fingal got to work about 2 weeks ago and place looks great. All the overgrown areas have been cut back, dead plants removed and litter collected. The path through the woods is from what I can see being used a lot more by people. and hopefully it will be further developed in conjunction with Rush Tidy Towns and Rush chamber of commerse.

Well done Fingal

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The new cycle-way from Balrothery to Balbriggan.
    It'll make the trip for kids to school especially far far safer and encourage them to cycle rather than get driven to school.

Also the Path from Balrothery village to the football pitches/Tennis courts .
    Again makes the place so much safer and the resources more accessable.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

New path across the ballast pit to Skerries train station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

There's an awful lot of "unseen" work that Fingal CoCo do.

The Sports Department provide training for many organisations and also Emergency Response Training for volunteers every year free of charge.

The Community Department provide supports to volunteer organisations in the community with the likes of Committee Skills training, networking events, assistance to Residents' Associations etc.

Parks Department also support local organisations by supporting planting in communal spaces, often by providing plants/bulbs as well as staff to assist local communities. Tidy Towns groups very often are supported by Parks too.

What about the Red Kite programme in NCD?
    Community Allotment Schemes (lets not mention Balbriggan for the time being).

I've been fortunate enough to come into contact with many of the Departments in Fingal in the past few years. For the most part I've had excellent experiences in dealing with great staff and they are extremely supportive of many community organisations. The Local Authority, and by extension the staff, often come in for a large amount of criticism but my experiences have been largely positive so credit where credit is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Recently had a very positive interaction with the Joint Policing Comittee (which is part Fingal CoCo). We have had some trouble with antisocial behaviour near our house and the upshot is that they're going to clear an area of shrubs to try and ease things.

Also have to say they tirelessly paint over the crappy graffitti and clean up after the drunken kids who leave piles of cans and take away rubbish lying around after Friday and Saturday night.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I liked the idea of the meadows created in the roundabouts and on the side of the roads.

Newbridge house is a brilliant amenity, and they make a real effort there. The other Fingal CC run parks seem to be well run also, although the whole situation with Malahide and the fry railway didn't seem to be handled well in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I live in Swords and admire how quickly they have dealt with potholes on my road in recent years, especially after the snow last year.

Also, I suspect they were one of the better to deal with the snow last year, I remember going to an interview in the city centre for my current job and being horrified at the roads/paths.

Finally, their library service is top class, has to be applauded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

FCC webcast is an excellent resource for anyone that wishes to see how the council operates and informative too. Open Data Fingal is a great resource of info and will be better when the 2011 census data updates the various reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

they always rush and do things at the end of the year too use the qouta a money for the year up so they dont lose it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

they always rush and do things at the end of the year too use the qouta a money for the year up so they dont lose it next year.

This appears quite common around the country.

But if they do rush jobs but do a good job I would be happy. See today that big Fingal street sweep lorry out and doing a good job.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is about the positive things FCC are doing, not a debate on how they go about spending their funds - we have another current thread on that topic

Thanks

Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

This thread should be called 'What did FCC ever do for us!'

They resurfaced the first few miles or road from Balbriggan to Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shanemasseyman

Beasty wrote: »
    This thread is about the positive things FCC are doing, not a debate on how they go about spending their funds - we have another current thread on that topic

Thanks

Beasty

i wasn't giving out, i was just stating a fact, someone pointed out that a lot of work was being done in the woods in rush i just said why it was happening all of a sudden at such a late time in the year, i think the point was relevant, but apologies if my post caused hurt harm or uneasiness.
    regards
    Shane:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

This thread should be called 'What did FCC ever do for us!'

They resurfaced the first few miles or road from Balbriggan to Skerries

Yea the 'bumps' are gone. I used to love them as a kid, as do my children. Only noticed it last week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

i wasn't giving out, i was just stating a fact, someone pointed out that a lot of work was being done in the woods in rush i just said why it was happening all of a sudden at such a late time in the year, i think the point was relevant, but apologies if my post caused hurt harm or uneasiness.
    regards
    Shane:)

I not to up on the growing habits of our native trees and shrubs but maybe the work was done late in the year when regrowth would be minimal. This would/could save them doing it twice a year if it was done during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Yea the 'bumps' are gone. I used to love them as a kid, as do my children. Only noticed it last week :(

You're not driving fast enough. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Eoineo wrote: »
    There's an awful lot of "unseen" work that Fingal CoCo do.

Community Allotment Schemes (lets not mention Balbriggan for the time being).

Not going ahead now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

sirpsycho wrote: »
    Not going ahead now?

Well at the FCC budget meeting in Dec they said it was going head. Nearly 5 hours of riverting viewing :pac: use the index to go to 2.46hrs into the webcast .

Not going ahead now?

Well at the FCC budget meeting in Dec they said it was going head. Nearly 5 hours of riverting viewing :pac: use the index to go to 2.46hrs into the webcast .
    Yes still going ahead. Just nothing done as of yet. I know many locals chomping at the bit to get stuck in just unfortunately FCC staff are snowed under with other projects. Hopefully I can give a more positive update soon.

I say stick with the private allotments in Balgaddy, it's not looking good to get plots sorted out in time for the growing period for anyone interested in a plot.

I say stick with the private allotments in Balgaddy, it's not looking good to get plots sorted out in time for the growing period for anyone interested in a plot.
    The plans are now on public display for planning permission in both Balbriggan Town Hall & Fingal County Hall until the 22nd of Feb.

Personally I cannot afford to run 2 allotments & have committed to the new Balbriggan scheme in that we've decided not to renew our private lease. It is also far closer to home for us so less fuel costs getting there & back when it does start. In the interim we GIY in our own garden so I'm hoping it will tide us over until it kicks off.

Edited to add: Yes it is disappointing that it has been so delayed in starting. Unfortunately FCC staff in that particular area have been reduced & redeployed in recent years & those left have a very heavy workload. As far as I'm aware it's moving as fast as they can given their resources.

• Advertisement

Is that plan online?

Is that plan online?
    I don't think so but if you find it please post the link.

Advertisement