Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received elctrical toothbrush from UK wrong plug

Options
  • 16-12-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering can you get 2 pin plug converters to work on sockets in Ireland. Basically I purchased a toothbrush (electrical) from the UK. The problem is that the connection is 2 pin and wont obviously work on the sockets oin the house which need a 3 pin plug:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you are anyway DIY competent you can snip off the 2 pin plug, strip the wires and re wire into a 3 pin plug using just the Neutral and Live wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

billyhead wrote: »
    I was just wondering can you get 2 pin plug converters to work on sockets in Ireland. Basically I purchased a toothbrush (electrical) from the UK. The problem is that the connection is 2 pin and wont obviously work on the sockets oin the house which need a 3 pin plug:(

Its probably two pin so it can be charged from a shaver socket in a bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

It's probably two pin for a shaver socket. You can get adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

vicwatson wrote: »
    If you are anyway DIY competent you can snip off the 2 pin plug, strip the wires and re wire into a 3 pin plug using just the Neutral and Live wires.

Just be careful.

If the transformer is built into plug and you snip it off you will end up connecting the low voltage circuit to the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I got one a while back, it was an Oral B from Argos. I was gonna bring it back because IIRC by law all appliances sold here should be fitted with a 3-pin plug.

However with the toothbrush there's a 2-pin plug fitted so you can plug into the shaver outlet in the bathroom, if you have one (I don't have a shaver socket 'cos I use a traditional cut throat razer:eek:).

And per post above, the transformer is normally integrated into the plug so don't go cutting any wiring.

I got an adaptor in a hardware shop and charge the toothbrush in another room.

Happy brushing, with a few weeks use you will have teeth like this :D hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My transformer on my oral B electric tootbrush is in the stand where you put the brush to charge. I've changed the plug and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭10-10-20

deandean wrote: »
    I got one a while back, it was an Oral B from Argos. I was gonna bring it back because IIRC by law all appliances sold here should be fitted with a 3-pin plug.

Seemingly incorrect: "Equipment sold in Britain with a Europlug must be marked with or accompanied by a warning that it is not suitable for use in a British mains socket.[5] The exception is that shavers, electric toothbrushes and similar personal hygiene products may be supplied with a europlug as an alternative to the larger BS 4573 2-pin plug"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug

The reasoning is that in a bathroom, an isolation transformer must be fitted to protect the user.
    "Sockets are often able to supply either 230 V or 115 V. In wet zones, they must contain an isolation transformer compliant with BS 3535."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#British_and_compatible_standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yup, as pointed out above, the toothbrush is supposed to come with a 2-pin plug, otherwise it would be illegal to use it in the bathroom.

The most annoying thing is that while Irish and British shaver sockets accept the 2-pin "Europlug" used on small appliances (up to 2.5amp) on the continent, the British shaver/toothbrush plug has fatter pins that do not fit continental sockets (including shaver sockets) at all!

So, you could plug a French toothbrush into a bathroom mirror socket here no problem, but you couldn't plug an Irish one in in France!

AFAIK, the British fat-pinned shaver plug's being phased out of use anyway in favour of the European one. I recently bought a toothbrush which had the normal euro plug on it. Works fine in Irish bathroom sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

EDIT: Whoops got my facts wrong!!

I got one of hese little things for my camer charger that came with a 2 pin.. Handy as if i ever go abroad i still have the 2 pin plug!

That will not work with a shaver / toothbrush.

The plug is usually NOT the European 2-pin plug, rather it's a British variant of it with shorter, slightly fatter pins. It does not fit into European sockets or European adaptors, only into Irish/British bathroom sockets and shaver adaptors.

For most UK shaver plugs, you will need to use a 1amp shaver adaptor, available in most chemists, tesco etc etc..

616t.jpg

Or, the shaver socket on your bathroom wall / mirror :

shaver-socket.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Solair wrote: »
    That will not work with a shaver / toothbrush.

The plug is usually NOT the European 2-pin plug, rather it's a British variant of it with shorter, slightly fatter pins. It does not fit into European sockets or European adaptors, only into Irish/British bathroom sockets and shaver adaptors.

For most UK shaver plugs, you will need to use a 1amp shaver adaptor, available in most chemists, tesco etc etc..

http://toolspot-static.co.uk/i/616t.jpg

Or, the shaver socket on your bathroom wall / mirror :

http://www.heatedmirrors.co.uk/media/img/shaver-socket.jpg

So it wont... I just compared it to my toothbrush charger..
    Apologies for the false information! I do have another adaptor for my toothbrush that's more of a travel adaptor!

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the rear end as you can't use your Irish or UK shaver / toothbrush in continental sockets due to the slightly different 2 pin plug design that the Brits insist on using.

From what I gather, the UK no longer specifically requires that weird plug anymore and the European standard one is acceptable. So, I would say it's only a matter of time before manufacturers stop making them and only do the normal Euro 2-pin version.

It'll be handier when you're travelling on the continent.

Advertisement