Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some question on Palystation 3

• 16-12-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of getting a Sony playstation 3 as a gift for myself for x-mas and was just looking for some feedback. I am an adult and was planning just to get it to play games. I was wondering would you recommend it over the XBOX, is it suitable just for children? Are there plans by Sony to release an improved or updated version of it in the new year, and also would that result in it coming down in price by a significant amount as to what it is now and also I don't have braodband internet and was wondering would this be a major drawback in terms of using the console. I wasn't planning to play against other people over the internet i..e multi player games so I think this maybe insignificant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

The PS3 and xbox are considered the hardcore consoles over the childs console , the wii. If your just playing offline it all depends on which exclusives you'd rather play. Thats about it. Each one has its plus and minus factors but that shouldnt affect your decision gameplay wise. Im a big Sony fan so i rather the ps3, but ive also a xbox which has done very little in the past 2 years. online is only an optional feature on both consoles, you dont need to be connected. However incase you ever feel you might like to go online someday the PS3 is free to play online ( xbox isnt ). I dont know many xbox exclusives but some ps3 exclusives are :

Uncharted Series
    God of War series
    Heavy Rain

Hmm that s all i can think of, i know theres more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

online is only an add on, but some games have very short single player and large multiplayer so they are geared more towards online play...something to watch out for..but i will say the amount of bargains to be had buying second hand games is good at the moment...

it also depends on what type of game you want to play...
    but do keep in mind the xbox is due for an update the end of next year and the ps3 sometime maybe the year after...

i will admit i prefer the ps3 but only as an overall package and as above i have an xbox that gathers mostly dust...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

billyhead wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a Sony playstation 3 as a gift for myself for x-mas
    Roll on Christmas :)
    I was wondering would you recommend it over the XBOX
    Two very different experiences. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses and at this stage in their lifecycle I would recommend most gamers get both... Not one over the other.
    is it suitable just for children?
    Going to annoy most kids here - but no - Xbox/PS3 are not for children, leave them to the wii and DSi. Yes there are kids games but both consoles are targetted at young adults (guess I am no longer in that bracket but don't care).
    Are there plans by Sony to release an improved or updated version of it in the new year, and also would that result in it coming down in price by a significant amount
    Rumour mill is that some stage next year Sony may (MAY) announce a PS4 - but that still might be a fair way off. Price has already dropped considerably - there are some great deals out there if you seach - some are also quoted on the bargain alerts page - check out Amazon / HMV / Zavvi
    I don't have braodband internet and was wondering would this be a major drawback in terms of using the console. I wasn't planning to play against other people over the internet i..e multi player games so I think this maybe insignificant.
    No - not really. I prefer single player games myself.
    Without broadband you will miss out on the following.
    > use of the internet explorer
    > access to the PSN Store - game demo's; PS1 games; game downloads; DLC extras.
    > Software updates - eg one of the upgrades I thik 6 to 9mts ago added 3D functionality.
    etc

Overall though even with out this you still have a box that not only allows you to play games but also
    > Blu Ray movies
    > Dvd player (as std)
    > Media player if you have any content saved
    > Photo viewer
    > Music centre - again without broadband you lose the online video player
    etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

i would recommend the ps3 over the xbox its more usually bought by adults then the xbox and its more reliable i have mine nearly 5 years and it hasn't gone wrong yet and i would suggest Fifa 12

Advertisement