Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft.ie and renting houses in Dundalk Area

Options
  • 16-12-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

I'm probably wrong but from experience I've been looking for houses on daft.ie and in general in papers and visiting them and stuff like that. Most of the houses I look at in centre of town are always ''1 photo'' and ya can just tell the man who doesnt put a photo of the inside of his gaff is just totally ashamed of the place and that it's a dump. So if your a person who lets out houses be sure to recognise that and that we aint stupid.

But anyway most of the houses in carlingford, country, ravensdale and extended even all the way to drogehda are lovely houses, but the center of Dundalk is an absolute dump and it's hard to find a house thats worthy of living in. Some landlords have brass necks on them man. You think they would do the house up and make it nice and modern looking with great heating etc etc and windows. I honestly dont know why some landlords even bother to adverstise.

It proves to be very difficult to rent a place close to the center of town thats quiet, modern, well insulated and great heating in it. But when it comes to Dundalk it looks like thats hard to find. Am I being too hard to please? :o:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Am I being too hard to please? :o:D

Nope!! If people refused to pay for a kip to live in, the landlords would do what is required! I myself rent out a house near Dundalk town centre(Mulholland Ave) and it is at standard that i would expect for myself -double glazing etc. The same family have it rented for nearly 5 years, they are superb with keeping the place right and paying rent so all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Nope!! If people refused to pay for a kip to live in, the landlords would do what is required! I myself rent out a house near Dundalk town centre(Mulholland Ave) and it is at standard that i would expect for myself -double glazing etc. The same family have it rented for nearly 5 years, they are superb with keeping the place right and paying rent so all good!

yeah cheers, one big red flag for me is when you enter the house and there a couple of things to be done with it when you go to view. For example ''oh we have yet to get the boiler fixed, we plan to put a new kitchen in and shower etc'' but they never do as once you sign the lease you never hear about those things ever again.

Not so long ago I entered a house like that and there was damp all over the walls and place was fallen apart. ''We are rre-doing it at the minute'' they say . . .''then why adverstise it to be lived in?'' I reply. man some neck they have.

The house we occupy now is excellent and landlord is great, but it was a lucky find and we are looking to get closer to the town but each time we do the houses in the area are rank.

I know what you mean if people didnt rent them and requested landlords standards to change this kind of thing wouldnt happen. But not many people with families who rent have the time to be picky and choosy and I think most landlords are aware of this so take advantage of that.

I'll just have to keep digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I used to rent a house out. Never put up pictures. I'm a bit paranoid about theft etc. I rent a room out now and again now. Much the same, don't use photos and never have any issues. And my home is not a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I'm probably wrong but from experience I've been looking for houses on daft.ie and in general in papers and visiting them and stuff like that. Most of the houses I look at in centre of town are always ''1 photo'' and ya can just tell the man who doesnt put a photo of the inside of his gaff is just totally ashamed of the place and that it's a dump. So if your a person who lets out houses be sure to recognise that and that we aint stupid.

But anyway most of the houses in carlingford, country, ravensdale and extended even all the way to drogehda are lovely houses, but the center of Dundalk is an absolute dump and it's hard to find a house thats worthy of living in. Some landlords have brass necks on them man. You think they would do the house up and make it nice and modern looking with great heating etc etc and windows. I honestly dont know why some landlords even bother to adverstise.

It proves to be very difficult to rent a place close to the center of town thats quiet, modern, well insulated and great heating in it. But when it comes to Dundalk it looks like thats hard to find. Am I being too hard to please? :o:D

+1
    I could not agree with you more.
    I rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Dundalk Town Centre for 450 Euro per month. It was the best of a bad lot that I viewed. The carpets are worn out and filthy. I find that the standard of rented accommodation in Dundalk to be low in general. When I moved into my current apartment there was no electric. The Landlord left me to sort it out. I couldn't just get ESB to reconnect the supply as the apartment had been vacant for over 6 months, and therefore needed a survey. It took 2 weeks to get my electric supply back on. Needless to say I deducted the Electricians survey cost from my first months rent.
    Since I have lived in the apartment I have fixed the toilet, shower, broken window catch. I have even had to buy a dehumidifier to get rid of the mould and damp in my bedroom (caused by the previously leaking toilet and shower).
    I have one of those Landlords who is lovely to talk to on the phone, but does nothing when you report a fault.
    What amazes me is that many Landlords still think they are renting property in the Celtic Tiger. The amount of property I viewed that is not fit for purpose is a disgrace. I trawled Daft.ie and Rent.ie for months before I gave up looking and chose my current apartment. There definitely appears to be a lack of quality accommodation in Dundalk town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You get what you pay for.

However, a lot of houses in the middle of town are old houses - over 100 years old, so less likely to be "modern" or well-insulated.

It could cost tens of thousands to fix damp problems and it would have zero effect on the rental income.

I rented out my house for a while. The people in the house didn't turn on the central heating instead preferring to heat one room by lighting a fire (not connected to a back boiler). Final straw was when they demanded the bathroom ceiling be painted because it was covered in mould (they left the window open the whole time and didn't heat the room). In the end I got rid of them.. last thing I wanted to do was replace all the wood and plaster in the house because it got damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    You get what you pay for.

However, a lot of houses in the middle of town are old houses - over 100 years old, so less likely to be "modern" or well-insulated.

It could cost tens of thousands to fix damp problems and it would have zero effect on the rental income.

I rented out my house for a while. The people in the house didn't turn on the central heating instead preferring to heat one room by lighting a fire (not connected to a back boiler). Final straw was when they demanded the bathroom ceiling be painted because it was covered in mould (they left the window open the whole time and didn't heat the room). In the end I got rid of them.. last thing I wanted to do was replace all the wood and plaster in the house because it got damp.

I get what I pay for? I dont understand that statement as one year I paid for a house of 600 euro a month and it was damp, run down and terrible. I pay the exact same amount ( 600 ) for another house that is 12 year old, modern, well insulated and great furnishing that I'm in now. :confused:

I've seen some people adverstise ''we've just insulated the house recently'' If it has zero effect on rental income to insulate the house then why do some people insulate it as advertised?

I'm sorry about the bad tenants you have had. It seems that some people just move in and treat someones elses house any which way they like because they dont own it. But your house I presume was grand before anyone moved in. These Landlords have no right to subject people to mouldy houses before hand.

Johnny, I wouldnt fix it if it was a big problem to be fixed. Your probably blessed with being a handy man and to be honest I wouldnt be a grinch, if there is a problem I can fix myself that would cost me nothing and would save the Landlord some time and money I'd do it. I'm not bad like that but yeah Landlords can be nasty. I remember ringing around making appointments, found the house I want, so I rang one of the Landlords up 24 hours beforehand to cancel the appointment and what was once a sweet man turned into a violent one and he screamed at me down the phone. I'm telling you, ya just dont know who your renting from with some of these private sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I get what I pay for? I dont understand that statement as one year I paid for a house of 600 euro a month and it was damp, run down and terrible. I pay the exact same amount ( 600 ) for another house that is 12 year old, modern, well insulated and great furnishing that I'm in now. :confused:

€600 is quite a bit of money. I certainly would expect a nice place for that price in the current market. However, 4 years ago you would get very little for that price.

A 12 year old house in any town centre is quite rare. However, there's usually a trade off between location, quality and price. Town centre houses are usually terraced and attract a different clientèle compared to semi-D and detached outside town. I don't mean that in a disrespectful way.. but perhaps they'd prefer to pay €450 pm for a house that isn't modern than to pay €600 for a super-modern house.

It can be an exercise for landlords to balance income from rent and expenditure on renovations/improvements and repairs. Also, landlords have been hit with rising insurance, interest rates, property taxes, PRTB compliance fees and tax.

Advertisement