Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Property Safety

Options
  • 16-12-2011 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

The other day I got probably the worst electric shock i have ever felt. I’ve had plenty of electric shocks before, electric fences things like that, but this was different my arm was still soar 2 hours later, after it happened i went straight out and flipped the trip switch, we were worried that our 3 year old daughter would get a shock as well so we left the house for 5 days until an electrician came and did a report on the and fixed everything.
    My question is there no standards a house should be up to? Or are there no periodic inspections required in order to rent a house to the public?
    Since moving in 8 months ago we have had to get a plumber over 8 times, 1 roofer and 2 electricians.
    Im pretty tired of all the problems our house has and it’s not particularly cheap either

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

What was the issue, what did the electrician find?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    The other day I got probably the worst electric shock i have ever felt. I’ve had plenty of electric shocks before, electric fences things like that, but this was different my arm was still soar 2 hours later, after it happened i went straight out and flipped the trip switch, we were worried that our 3 year old daughter would get a shock as well so we left the house for 5 days until an electrician came and did a report on the and fixed everything.
    My question is there no standards a house should be up to? Or are there no periodic inspections required in order to rent a house to the public?
    Since moving in 8 months ago we have had to get a plumber over 8 times, 1 roofer and 2 electricians.
    Im pretty tired of all the problems our house has and it’s not particularly cheap either

That is appaling and yes there are standards. See the Threshold and PTRB sites.

Assuming the LL paid for all the work? And for your accommodation?

We had various glitches here as the house had been long empty and I made sure that the LL paid. He is good at getting repairs done usually if they involve water supply and I make sure if a plumber is here that a few other jobs get done.

Not sure re inspections. Yes there should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

there was the same problem a few years ago and the guy said he fixed it but somehow it happened again, basically the water pipes are suppose to be grounded and were not done until the other day and secondly the main ground athe the fuse board was never connected so there is no way the main circuit board can trip because of this all the pipes were carrying mains voltage which i now know is very painful. the electricians report said the wiring is 30 years or more old and the house needs to be rewired. the doctor told my gf she was luckey to be alive and our barister neighbours told us to sue him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

Graces7 wrote: »
    Assuming the LL paid for all the work? And for your accommodation?

he paid for all the work, i still had to pay my rent in full even thoe i wasnt there for a week

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

the lord should pay for all repairs to be carried out, afaik the landlord only needs to rewire the house for insurance purposes think they recommend very 30-35 years. You were lucky if you'd had you got the shock in the shower It could have been a lot worse. I'd insist on all the electrical work being brought up to standard or move out. He'll probably try keep your deposit but threaten him with legal action regarding wiring and he'll hand it over quick enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    ...is there no standards a house should be up to...

Yes you need to contact the local Environmental Health Officer. If a property does not comply with these standards, LL could incur a fine or be prosecuted. Seriously you're risking you life. Why would you stay there.

Don't repair someone elses house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I am an Electrician and CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW SOME CONTRACTORS CAN BE CALLED REPUTABLE builders or electricians this really annoys me. You totally have a case there and if job was carried out as said Insurance company will be looking after if LL has it. I hope your ok now and problem is sorted.:)

Advertisement