Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French General Purpose 4

Options
  • 16-12-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I am considering doing this next term (Pretty adamant actually) and I'm curious as to whether it is extrememly difficult or not. I never really liked aurals or orals and I'm pretty certain I'm awful at the former.

I've done French higher level for the leaving cert and gotten a C1, so obviously I can't do 2 or 3. After a few google searches it seems to be up there as one of the most popular modules, I'm just wondering whether it is undoable if the student isn't great at languages.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    I am considering doing this next term (Pretty adamant actually) and I'm curious as to whether it is extrememly difficult or not. I never really liked aurals or orals and I'm pretty certain I'm awful at the former.

I've done French higher level for the leaving cert and gotten a C1, so obviously I can't do 2 or 3. After a few google searches it seems to be up there as one of the most popular modules, I'm just wondering whether it is undoable if the student isn't great at languages.

Why on earth would you want to do the module if you're no good at the language? In fact you don't even like speaking or listening to French? Honestly I can't see why you would want to do it especially as you don't even like talking in French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Why do a language if you're not good at it...? There's so much choice in modules!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Why on earth would you want to do the module if you're no good at the language?

Because I have an interest in learning a second language, and I like French.
    In fact you don't even like speaking or listening to French? Honestly I can't see why you would want to do it especially as you don't even like talking in French.

When have I said I don't like speaking or listening in French? I don't like oral or aural examinations (Primarily oral) because of testing element of them, I feel a lot of pressure. No need to come off so judgemental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

We're not judging you, but practically- if you're not good at languages, don't do it. You can always pick one up in your free time but if the result is counting towards your degree, there are much easier modules for picking up the marks which may be more interesting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Siuin wrote: »
    We're not judging you, but practically- if you're not good at languages, don't do it. You can always pick one up in your free time but if the result is counting towards your degree, there are much easier modules for picking up the marks which may be more interesting for you.

+1 If you are not good at learning languages in a formal educational setting, then taking one up that may bring down your GPA is not really the best idea. Get Rosetta Stone and learn French in your own time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

I took French Level 5 and it was very difficult. From what you've described, your level would not be good enough for Level 4 and it would have a negative impact on your GPA (as well as stress levels)!

Take a language from scratch. The workload is far more manageable and you can get a good grade. It is also quite useful and enjoyable. Choose Chinese, Spanish, German or Russian Level 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Slang_Tang wrote: »
    I took French Level 5 and it was very difficult. From what you've described, your level would not be good enough for Level 4 and it would have a negative impact on your GPA (as well as stress levels)!

Take a language from scratch. The workload is far more manageable and you can get a good grade. It is also quite useful and enjoyable. Choose Chinese, Spanish, German or Russian Level 1.

I second this-- level one languages are quite fun to do and you really get a taster for the culture too. It's really not worth the impact it'll have on your GPA to go for something beyond your level, and at the end of the day you're getting the same 5 credits regardless of how hard or easy it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

My friend did French Level 4 after his leaving cert which he had gotten a B1 in higher in. He found it quite difficult. There's definitely an oral exam anyway, not sure about an aural. I took it for 1 class and dropped it as everyone in the class had gotten an A in their leaving cert in it, or was already bilingual.

Advertisement