Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for landlords, if I may

Options
  • 16-12-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I have often wondered, occasionally having been to the homes of our landlords.. if they would themselves live in the places they rent out?

Maybe a part of any training etc for lls should include that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭badgerbaiter

Im not a landlord but ive seen properties before that were advertised as "owner occupied" and assumed this meant the landlord lives there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Many landlords now, myself included, did indeed live in the properties we have now had to rent out. I haven't actually been in the house for years now, my OH or our agent do any checks, repairs etc. I actually cried after we evicted our first tenants, and saw what they'd done to our beautiful house.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mrmitty

I'm a landlord and I've no desire to live in any of my rental properties.
    Some because of location, others because of antiquatedness, none because of habitability or lack there of.
    There is however a market for the properties that I own and the proof is in the fact that the are all rented at present.
    If my economic situation changed substantially for the worse then yes I would live in any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I'm in a rental at the moment that was owner occupied prior to it being rented to me.

TBH I can't get over the amount of small (but v annoying) things that are wrong with this house that she was prepared to live with! eg door handles falling off, curtain railings barely hanging on, single glazing throughout the house - despite it having huge windows etc. The list goes on and on. It makes it hard to get things fixed because I think there is an attitude of 'well, it was ok for me, so why should i pay to get it fixed for you".

I wouldn't put up with this stuff in my own home, but she was quite happy to - I suppose different people have different tolerance levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

dudmis wrote: »
    I'm in a rental at the moment that was owner occupied prior to it being rented to me.

TBH I can't get over the amount of small (but v annoying) things that are wrong with this house that she was prepared to live with! eg door handles falling off, curtain railings barely hanging on, single glazing throughout the house - despite it having huge windows etc. The list goes on and on. It makes it hard to get things fixed because I think there is an attitude of 'well, it was ok for me, so why should i pay to get it fixed for you".

I wouldn't put up with this stuff in my own home, but she was quite happy to - I suppose different people have different tolerance levels.

Excellent post, dudmis. And therein lies much of the crux of the matter.

I think that you could also add the following. A landlord says /thinks that he can fix that small problem - so why can't you do it yourself, Mr. tenant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yes, I lived in the house I rented out. It was my home. Unfortunately it's now in a different country to where my work is so I decided to rent it out. It's too much trouble though, I think whenever the current tenants leave I'll just leave it empty until I come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    Yes, I lived in the house I rented out. It was my home. Unfortunately it's now in a different country to where my work is so I decided to rent it out. It's too much trouble though, I think whenever the current tenants leave I'll just leave it empty until I come back.

What hassle have you encountered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Don't really want to get into the details, but if I was around maybe I would consider it as I could deal with the problems myself. But it's impossible to do that from a distance so my parents bear the brunt of it and it's not fair on them. Then again if I was around I'd be living in the house myself and not renting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have often wondered, occasionally having been to the homes of our landlords.. if they would themselves live in the places they rent out?

Maybe. Maybe not.

But you don't have to live there either. If you are not happy with the accommodation on offer no one is forcing you to rent it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dudmis wrote: »

So you thought all this, then rented it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

amdublin wrote: »
    Maybe. Maybe not.

But you don't have to live there either. If you are not happy with the accommodation on offer no one is forcing you to rent it :confused:

(A) I made no complaint.

(B) We need RA which greatly limits choice.

Distraction tactics don't work.

In general, as others have said, condtitions are not such as LLs would accept.

You see adverts for old furniture "suitable for rental", and if you ask, well they say you don't know who will be in.

As others will say, we pay and often highly. To be left with junk

BostonB wrote: »
    So you thought all this, then rented it :confused:

Ah once more you see attack as the best form of defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Not sure what 'training' is required?
    But my best friend owns a beautiful five bed house that he cannot afford the mortgage on, so it's rented out and he's in a pokey two bed apartment which he rents. He is dreaming of and living for the day he can move back into the house he has rented out.

Not sure what 'training' is required?
    But my best friend owns a beautiful five bed house that he cannot afford the mortgage on, so it's rented out and he's in a pokey two bed apartment which he rents. He is dreaming of and living for the day he can move back into the house he has rented out.

- an awareness of tenancy laws and rules such as PRTB reg and BER.
    - living in the house to sort out snags.
    would be a start

I hope your friend does get home again soon.

His situation though is not one we have encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

- an awareness of tenancy laws and rules such as PRTB reg and BER.
    - living in the house to sort out snags.
    would be a start

I hope your friend does get home again soon.

His situation though is not one we have encountered.

I'd imagine it's a lot more common than most people think. It could well come into focus with the new taxes coming in, I suspect. Anyhow, landlords are required by law to be registered with the PRTB, and filling in the form doesn't require training. I don't know that they need to have lived in a house prior to renting it out, though. This thread has already clarified that different people will have different ideas of what a snag in the house is. I'm not sure that would serve the purpose you presumably wish to see, which is to ensure that inhabitable standards of rental accommodation are enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I'd imagine it's a lot more common than most people think. It could well come into focus with the new taxes coming in, I suspect. Anyhow, landlords are required by law to be registered with the PRTB, and filling in the form doesn't require training. I don't know that they need to have lived in a house prior to renting it out, though. This thread has already clarified that different people will have different ideas of what a snag in the house is. I'm not sure that would serve the purpose you presumably wish to see, which is to ensure that inhabitable standards of rental accommodation are enforced.

Unfortunately for tenants, "snags" seldom render a house "uninhabitable"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I lived in my main house for 10yrs, then bought another for family reasons, could not sell my 1st, and now rent it out.

I loved my 1st house and really looked after it. It was immaculate when I rented it out, finished to a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

(A) I made no complaint.

(B) We need RA which greatly limits choice.

Distraction tactics don't work.

In general, as others have said, condtitions are not such as LLs would accept.

You see adverts for old furniture "suitable for rental", and if you ask, well they say you don't know who will be in.

As others will say, we pay and often highly. To be left with junk

People are different. Tenants are different. Some are fantastic, others will ruin you. Once bitten, twice shy springs to mind.

My partner owns a few houses, he lived in 2 of them before they were rented out - the first was a lovely large 3 bed end of terrace with a huge garden, plenty of parking at the front and well furnished and beautifully finished. He rented rooms at first and when he bought his second house in the same area, all his tenants went with him.

He let the first house out through a letting agent, after 2 years the tenants were moving out and the house was left trashed. Not only was most of the furniture destroyed but there were holes in the walls, doors and the green bin was stuffed full of rancid food and crawling with maggots. The bathroom ceiling was black with mould and the ventilation system was deactivated, shower door broken and the toilet had to be replaced.

So from then on furniture was "suitable for rental" ie hardwearing and hopefully washable. Beds were bought sturdy but mattresses bought cheaply for replacing. Sofas were leather or faux leather for easy wipe down.

When something you spent money on, or worked hard for or fitted with your own hands gets destroyed by a tenant it is very disheartening - I would imagine the majority of landlords have been burnt at some stage by rogue tenants (and there's a lot of them because they get away with murder imo)and are weary of fitting a house out nicely or running to get new furnishings at the start of a tenancy when you don't know how good (or bad) the new tenants may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

My rental property is lovingly maintained. I make sure it is cos I intend to move home and live in it in a few years. I get it painted outside and inside as and when needed. I get windows washed and chimney done once a year. I replace appliances. and the furniture in it is to a high standard. The bed in the master bedroom alone cost me 1000 Euros. And I have flatscreens in all the bedrooms. My tenants are well looked after. I get the garden done too. I make a very healthy profit every month but I could make more if I clamped down on some things. But I have good tenants and once they treat my house with respect I will treat them with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

People are different. Tenants are different. Some are fantastic, others will ruin you. Once bitten, twice shy springs to mind.

My partner owns a few houses, he lived in 2 of them before they were rented out - the first was a lovely large 3 bed end of terrace with a huge garden, plenty of parking at the front and well furnished and beautifully finished. He rented rooms at first and when he bought his second house in the same area, all his tenants went with him.

He let the first house out through a letting agent, after 2 years the tenants were moving out and the house was left trashed. Not only was most of the furniture destroyed but there were holes in the walls, doors and the green bin was stuffed full of rancid food and crawling with maggots. The bathroom ceiling was black with mould and the ventilation system was deactivated, shower door broken and the toilet had to be replaced.

So from then on furniture was "suitable for rental" ie hardwearing and hopefully washable. Beds were bought sturdy but mattresses bought cheaply for replacing. Sofas were leather or faux leather for easy wipe down.

When something you spent money on, or worked hard for or fitted with your own hands gets destroyed by a tenant it is very disheartening - I would imagine the majority of landlords have been burnt at some stage by rogue tenants (and there's a lot of them because they get away with murder imo)and are weary of fitting a house out nicely or running to get new furnishings at the start of a tenancy when you don't know how good (or bad) the new tenants may be.

Firstly I in no way condone any tenant thrashing a property - but what surprises me is that the agent did not do regular checks on the property.

Every 3 months or so my LL or his agent visit my home - they do a quick check around, check the garden and generally ask if things are ok. This is beneficial to both of us as if I have any issues I can lay them out to him in person and we can resolve them, it also means that any of the issues that arose for you wouldn't have the chance to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

daltonmd wrote: »
    Firstly I in no way condone any tenant thrashing a property - but what surprises me is that the agent did not do regular checks on the property.

Every 3 months or so my LL or his agent visit my home - they do a quick check around, check the garden and generally ask if things are ok. This is beneficial to both of us as if I have any issues I can lay them out to him in person and we can resolve them, it also means that any of the issues that arose for you wouldn't have the chance to.

I don't think the letting agent went near the property as the rent was paid on time every month and from the outside, nothing looked untoward. It was also around 2004/05 at the height of the boom, they were probably too busy selling shoeboxes for megabucks.

It was the first and last time my OH used a letting agent, since then he has managed all lettings himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think that if you see it's sh|te, why move in? I too am very puzzled by this sort of action.
    This thread has already clarified that different people will have different ideas of what a snag in the house is.
    A snag list is completed before the new owner/tenant move in. Once you are in, there's nothing making the landlord/EA/agent/etc complete the snag list.

the_syco wrote: »
    I think that if you see it's sh|te, why move in? I too am very puzzled by this sort of action.

A snag list is completed before the new owner/tenant move in. Once you are in, there's nothing making the landlord/EA/agent/etc complete the snag list.

In fairness a lot of these little problems are only apparent after you move in.

Why is it an attack. Theres no logic to what he said. If there is logic explain it.

Also answer why would a LL spend money on a property if they don't need to rent it.

daltonmd wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of these little problems are only apparent after you move in.

Like single glazing?? :confused:

Like single glazing?? :confused:

Single glazing windows wouldn't appear on a snag list unless they're broken. Heating not working, rads needing to be bled, leaks and a lot more besides only become apparent when you move into any house, new or old and start to use these things.

Kinda missing the point. Or you're taking about something entirely different. The previous comments weren't about non obvious things but obvious things. Entirely different.

If you want a house in a certain condition, with certain features, like double glazing, or a certain Ber rating. Then it makes no sense to complain about them being missing after you move in. Its just nonsense.

Kinda missing the point. Or you're taking about something entirely different. The previous comments weren't about non obvious things but obvious things. Entirely different.

If you want a house in a certain condition, with certain features, like double glazing, or a certain Ber rating. Then it makes no sense to complain about them being missing after you move in. Its just nonsense.

What point??

I responded to this sentence by another poster:

"A snag list is completed before the new owner/tenant move in. Once you are in, there's nothing making the landlord/EA/agent/etc complete the snag list."

I pointed out that a lot of little things only become apparent after you move in. I said nothing about wanting double glazing or a Ber rating. Of course a tenant can complain if the heating is broken or if rails are falling down or if there is a leak in the kitchen for example.

Double glazing and Ber ratings are not snags.

the_syco point was a lot of the things people complain about, are obvious before they move in. So why move in.

• Advertisement

the_syco point was a lot of the things people complain about, are obvious before they move in. So why move in.

I agree with you!! Although on the opposite side why doesn't the landlord make sure things are to standard before he rents it out? Why should it always fall on the tenant to point out the obvious things?

Advertisement