Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for landlords, if I may

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

daltonmd wrote: »
    Landlords can write off these on their taxes, yet another part of the bubble that people forget about.
    As a self employed person (ie no employment at the moment but no entitlement to social welfare of any sort) that means I get to "write off" costs that arise from the landlord/tenant arrangement, this is correct. However that means, as a standard rate taxpayer, that I'm still paying 80% of every cost.

If I get €1000 in rent, I pay €200 in tax and I have €800 left.
    If I get €1000 in rent and pay €500 in repairs, I only pay €100 in tax but I only have €400 left. That's how writing off actually works. If €400 is less than I need for the mortgage or groceries there's no one for me to turn to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm unsure what use PPS numbers are in this case; I'd say that the data protection would prevent the authorities from using it to track the person. References are good, but doesn't help if the person breaks the lease. The Gardai... can't see them helping, as it'd be more of a civil matter. The PTRB will chase the landlord, but I've never heard of them chasing the tenant.

Vandalising a property and stealing furniture is not a civil matter- these are crimes.

As far as I am aware when a tenant and LL are registering with the PRTB they have to give their PPS numbers. If there was a system whereby rent was owed and a crime committed then the Garda could track these people.

Cedrus wrote: »
    As a self employed person (ie no employment at the moment but no entitlement to social welfare of any sort) that means I get to "write off" costs that arise from the landlord/tenant arrangement, this is correct. However that means, as a standard rate taxpayer, that I'm still paying 80% of every cost.

If I get €1000 in rent, I pay €200 in tax and I have €800 left.
    If I get €1000 in rent and pay €500 in repairs, I only pay €100 in tax but I only have €400 left. That's how writing off actually works. If €400 is less than I need for the mortgage or groceries there's no one for me to turn to.

But it's a write off? Isn't that the point?

And I bet when tenants are asked to pay for damages that they don't get the write off? They pay the full amount.

I pay tax on my income and then I pay my rent. I get a few tax credits that will be cut by 25% in 2012. I wouldn't dream of asking my LL to take that into account and reduce my rent accordingly.

But it's a write off? Isn't that the point?

And I bet when tenants are asked to pay for damages that they don't get the write off? They pay the full amount.
    My point is that "write off's are no some miracle cure for cost incurred. The attitude off too many tenants is that "sure it won't cost the landlord anything they can just write it off". The truth is that major repairs can be crippling expenses, I had to replace a burst boiler in a tenanted house last february at the cost of 5 months rent, fortunately I have a great family who were able to lend it to me otherwise I would have to be a crap landlord. While I won't see the tenant and their toddlers go cold they will have to put up with the doors that they have smashed because I can't afford to keep repairing things that they don't give a sh!t about.

The tax system does not allow anyone to claim for their domiciliary expenses but if a tenant was working from home they would be entitled to claim a portion of their rent and utility bill against their tax liability, if damage was incurred as a part of that working (say, reinstatement after broadband installation) that could also be a legitimate claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ray, the market is the customer, without them there would be no market. In Ireland property comes furnished because Landlords can write off these on their taxes, yet another part of the bubble that people forget about.
    That is not why they come furnished. A 5 year tax deduction is pretty standard for ALL businesses. It in no way pays for the expense. It was also in effect way before the bubble.

The market is made up of consumers an individual customer doesn't make a worth while market. It will get very confusing mixing economic terms and standard English. The market isn't the customers alone it is the suppliers too when talking economics. There can be demand but no supply so no market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No it isn't - in an earlier post you said:
    "The reality is the cost in time and effort isn't recoverable from a tenant. Regardless of the theory."

Not with you Ray. No what isn't?
    I can understand the frustration of Landlords who get shafted because of dodgy tenants, but the answer isn't to treat every tenant thereafter as if they shafted you.

Not following you here either. If you mean not supplying lockers. Its simply a financial and practical consideration. Personally I think Spartan is the way to go in a rental. Main pieces of furniture only. Its not even the cost of the lockers. Its the time to repair, go buy some more. But all the costs add up. If a place is unfurnished, all that hassle is eliminated.

At the end of the days you get tenants like this now and then. Its part of the business. You just have to take the long term view.

Incidentally, there seems to be no problem with sweeping generational all Landlords as bad. Which is a little irrational. Thats no aimed at anyone in particular. But its a general trend on these forums.
    In regards to the locker question, I have answered it and I'm not sure what more you want from me.

I wouldn't expect to be changing any furniture, lockers or otherwise, more frequently then anyone else.

I was hoping for a price point. I wasn't asking how often you change lockers. I was asking you to imagine you were a LL. Then how often you'd expect to do it. I was just pointing out in my experience bedside lockers seem to get a lot of abuse. Why I don't understand.
    As to tenants disappearing? Had you no PPS numbers? Had you no references? Did you report them to the PRTB or the Gardai? If not then why not? Letting any tenant away with this type of behaviour is simply setting up another landlord for a fall and I am of the mind that there should be both a landlord and tenant register that highlights bad behaviour, much like the Credit bureau keeps a record of people who default on loans - if it's good enough for financial institutions to share this information why not the rental sector?

Reported yes. No real response other than to confirm the details. They got dropped from SW, but I think that got reinstated if they plead hardship. I queried will they get RA again, no official response. Legal advice is there's no point in chasing them. They've officially no money to pay, so you'd end up more out of pocket in time and money. Which doesn't make financial sense. You can't get info on them officially as you considered a 3rd party in terms of data protection. In terms of Garda response, they don't consider it criminal but a civil matter. No response.

Perhaps unrelated. But we had an issue locally where some thug out of their head on something and claiming they had a knife tried for 30~40 mins tried to break into a neighbours house, which had a family with small kids and babies in it at the time. No one knew who this guy was we assume it was mistaken address. Despite multiple phone calls to the Garda no response. If he'd got in he'd have been in serious trouble as all the neighbours were ready to intervene.

If they won't respond to that, you've no hope chasing someone for some furniture or other damage.

My point is that "write off's are no some miracle cure for cost incurred. The attitude off too many tenants is that "sure it won't cost the landlord anything they can just write it off". The truth is that major repairs can be crippling expenses, I had to replace a burst boiler in a tenanted house last february at the cost of 5 months rent, fortunately I have a great family who were able to lend it to me otherwise I would have to be a crap landlord. While I won't see the tenant and their toddlers go cold they will have to put up with the doors that they have smashed because I can't afford to keep repairing things that they don't give a sh!t about.

The tax system does not allow anyone to claim for their domiciliary expenses but if a tenant was working from home they would be entitled to claim a portion of their rent and utility bill against their tax liability, if damage was incurred as a part of that working (say, reinstatement after broadband installation) that could also be a legitimate claim.

You are a landlord, it is a business, in business there are sometimes expenses that are one off and that's the nature of the game.
    A lot of landlords, not saying you, got into the game without any knowledge whatsoever of the costs involved. They don't have adequate insurance, never put money away in the good times for these issues.
    Again, it really is down to this. When demand was high rents went up and tenants had to suck this up - landlords during the boom made a lot of profits, none lowered rents. Many jumped on that gravy train.
    Now that times are bad and landlords are strapped for cash tenants are supposed to in some way have a sympathy, yet when we asked for reductions during the boom we were told - " if you can't pay then move, I can have someone in paying more in a heartbeat".

You can't have it both ways I'm afraid, no more than we did.

BostonB wrote: »

Not following you here either. If you mean not supplying lockers. Its simply a financial and practical consideration. Personally I think Spartan is the way to go in a rental. Main pieces of furniture only. Its not even the cost of the lockers. Its the time to repair, go buy some more. But all the costs add up. If a place is unfurnished, all that hassle is eliminated.

Incidentally, there seems to be no problem with sweeping generational all Landlords as bad. Which is a little irrational.

I was hoping for a price point. I wasn't asking how often you change lockers. I was asking you to imagine you were a LL. Then how often you'd expect to do it. I was just pointing out in my experience bedside lockers seem to get a lot of abuse. Why I don't understand.

Reported yes. No real response other than to confirm the details. They got dropped from SW, but I think that got reinstated if they plead hardship. I queried will they get RA again, no official response. Legal advice is there's no point in chasing them. They've officially no money to pay, so you'd end up more out of pocket in time and money. Which doesn't make financial sense. You can't get info on them officially as you considered a 3rd party in terms of data protection. In terms of Garda response, they don't consider it criminal but a civil matter. No response.

Perhaps unrelated. But we had an issue locally where some thug out of their head on something and claiming they had a knife tried for 30~40 mins tried to break into a neighbours house, which had a family with small kids and babies in it at the time. No one knew who this guy was we assume it was mistaken address. Despite multiple phone calls to the Garda no response. If he'd got in he'd have been in serious trouble as all the neighbours were ready to intervene.

If they won't respond to that, you've no hope chasing someone for some furniture or other damage.

Agree with spartan rentals. And I think it's a bit rich to say that that there is no problem regarding generalisations with landlords - you seem to be the same way with tenants. Although it's fair to say that both of us are speaking from experience.

A price point? Pay what you want/feel is appropriate or don't supply them. As I said I have mine 10 years. Again though I can't understand the issue. If these are damaged then take it from the deposit - or are you saying that every tenant (generalisations or what?) damages these and you don't take them from the deposit?

Anyway it's a pointless argument, about lockers to be honest.

It seems your gripe is with RA tenants and I will tell you this. RA was initially a short term payment, it was never meant to be the subsidy that it is now. The RSA is the replacement yet many landlords won't join the scheme.

In the unrelated matter - it is unrelated to be honest and a crime is a crime. If someone walked into your house, stole your money, ransacked and smashed the place up - then that is a crime, I'm not going to move the discussion into the behaviour of local Gardai to be honest.

You have rights - if you choose not to avail of them then taking out your frustrations of future tenants is not the way to go.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is not why they come furnished. A 5 year tax deduction is pretty standard for ALL businesses. It in no way pays for the expense. It was also in effect way before the bubble.

The market is made up of consumers an individual customer doesn't make a worth while market. It will get very confusing mixing economic terms and standard English. The market isn't the customers alone it is the suppliers too when talking economics. There can be demand but no supply so no market.

Wow - you are not very good at this Ray - demand and no supply mean HIGH RENTS - not no market.

Too many houses and too few tenants = LOW RENTS Well it should mean low rents, but we have RA propping them up.

Oh and when there are not enough houses - Building boom...

But like you say Ray is simply a business, you right it off and move on to the next tenant and forget about it. Obviously some LL would be crippled if they got hit like that on a regular basis. But thats got nothing to do with the business. Thats their own personal circumstance.

• Advertisement

Sorry I have no idea what you are saying or don't get.

If a place is unfurnished, all that hassle is eliminated.

I actually had a fair bit of storage so would take furniture away on request and store it for another place. I stopped doing it when tenats left furntiture behind that I then had to dispose of at my expense. They also managed to casue quite a bit of damge bringing in the furntiure that upset the neighbours in the appartment block. I just don't do it now.

People who have never had the problem often don't understand there is pretty much nothing you can do. There is very little protection if a tenant destroys a place and stops paying rent. They can effectively disappear even if you have their PPS number. You might be able to find them but even then you will likely not get any money back with or without an ruling in your favour.

If you really push it you can maybe get the person in jail for non payment and you still won't get anything and It is so much hassle it really isn't worth it unless you want vegence.

There really is a complete lack of understanding of what it is like to be a LL and how little protection there is.

Wow - you are not very good at this Ray - demand and no supply mean HIGH RENTS - not no market.

Too many houses and too few tenants = LOW RENTS Well it should mean low rents, but we have RA propping them up.

Oh and when there are not enough houses - Building boom...

Maybe you should learn not to make something personal.

No supply means no supply. It is an economic concept you seem to be missing. I was talking about the reason why there is no market of unfurnished property.

You may think RA is proping up the market but the reality is the supply of property is based on the fact there is RA. The market has provided accomadation for people on RA. There is bleed around the edges but essentially the supply is for RA tenants. AS people have pointed out it is hard to find LL that take it. Given that, this would mean the majority of rental property on the market is not paid by RA. So given I have property never ever rented on RA that is not effected by RA. While other property I do rent to RA at a reduced rate. If I got rid of them I could rent it for higher. RA follows rental rates but is actually generally below the actual 'normal' market rate.

RA is cheaper on the government than if they had to supply the accomadation themselves.

I actually had a fair bit of storage so would take furniture away on request and store it for another place. I stopped doing it when tenats left furntiture behind that I then had to dispose of at my expense. They also managed to casue quite a bit of damge bringing in the furntiure that upset the neighbours in the appartment block. I just don't do it now.

People who have never had the problem often don't understand there is pretty much nothing you can do. There is very little protection if a tenant destroys a place and stops paying rent. They can effectively disappear even if you have their PPS number. You might be able to find them but even then you will likely not get any money back with or without an ruling in your favour.

If you really push it you can maybe get the person in jail for non payment and you still won't get anything and It is so much hassle it really isn't worth it unless you want vegence.

There really is a complete lack of understanding of what it is like to be a LL and how little protection there is.

There's as much understanding as there is for what it is like being a tenant Ray.

A lot of the issues here are to do with furnishings, damage, bad tenants - yet when I put a "functioning working model" up, such as the German one you dismiss it.

Renting in Germany, or the principle of it, is not different to renting in Ireland - we have simply made it so.

The recession will change a lot and that is down to the pressure on landlords and how tenants are no longer only those on low incomes, those on SW and students.

The market now has long term families in it - these people, like myself, either cannot or do not want to buy, some already have property and are both tenants and landlords, some don't.
    But in my years of renting I can tell you that having suffered the indignity of being refused time after time because I had children and pets - that this is, for the most part, no longer an issue - and that is a major change.

Also, in regards to furnished or unfurnished, I can tell you that regardless of what EA's tell you, this is also improving as some of the rentals were homes and the owners took their furniture to new properties and didn't have the money to replace them.

In regards to RA - this too will change - it was announced that 2000 properties were being released by NAMA for the housing list - now you need to remember that those on the housing list are also those on Rent allowance, meaning that they will be taken out of the private rental sector in the areas that are under most pressure.
    This will continue to happen, putting more pressure on landlords. THey will also "encourage" landlords to enter the RAS scheme.

Change is on the way and hopefully to the benefit of landlords as well.

Agree with spartan rentals. And I think it's a bit rich to say that that there is no problem regarding generalisations with landlords - you seem to be the same way with tenants. Although it's fair to say that both of us are speaking from experience.

I have seen both sides I suspect most only see one side of it. Which is why they only attack/defend one side. I'm in the middle somewhere. But if someone is only looking at it from their POV they think I'm taking a side.
    A price point? Pay what you want/feel is appropriate or don't supply them. As I said I have mine 10 years. Again though I can't understand the issue. If these are damaged then take it from the deposit - or are you saying that every tenant (generalisations or what?) damages these and you don't take them from the deposit?

Anyway it's a pointless argument, about lockers to be honest.

Its just one example. The issue of the quality of furniture seems come up here constantly. So how can it be pointless. Vague references to quality is all that get posted. There simply no willingness to discuss that, or the issue of breakages. Which IMO is only solved by going unfurnished.
    It seems your gripe is with RA tenants and I will tell you this. RA was initially a short term payment, it was never meant to be the subsidy that it is now. The RSA is the replacement yet many landlords won't join the scheme.

I think the system is flawed. But I have nothing against the tenants that's you invention. You asked about reacting PPS numbers with no understanding or experience of the issue. I simply told you my experience in getting information, or official action against a tenant.
    In the unrelated matter - it is unrelated to be honest and a crime is a crime. If someone walked into your house, stole your money, ransacked and smashed the place up - then that is a crime, I'm not going to move the discussion into the behaviour of local Gardai to be honest.

You have rights - if you choose not to avail of them then taking out your frustrations of future tenants is not the way to go.

You're talking about the theory, not how it works in real life. That why its relevant to talk about the reality of the system your theorising about. It makes no sense to spend 10~20k chasing a 3k debt when the odds are recovery are non existent. Of course you could pass the debt on to a debt agency. But I doubt that would recover much either.

I meant daltonmd sry.

I couldn't keep up with the requests to changes in furniture either. Don't do it now either. The place has to go back the way it was found. They can look after storage if they want. Its never ends well when they do that, furniture gets damage they don't to waste their time replacing, but have problem with it coming out of the deposit. If they want to do improvements, I may do them, or I might suggest going halves, or that might have to fund it themselves. Depends on what level of trust/respect good faith has been created.

I have seen both sides I suspect most only see one side of it. Which is why they only attack/defend one side. I'm in the middle somewhere. But if someone is only looking at it from their POV they think I'm taking a side.

Its just one example. The issue of the quality of furniture seems come up here constantly. So how can it be pointless. Vague references to quality is all that get posted. There simply no willingness to discuss that, or the issue of breakages. Which IMO is only solved by going unfurnished.

I think the system is flawed. But I have nothing against the tenants that's you invention. You asked about reacting PPS numbers with no understanding or experience of the issue. I simply told you my experience in getting information, or official action against a tenant.

You're talking about the theory, not how it works in real life. That why its relevant to talk about the reality of the system your theorising about. It makes no sense to spend 10~20k chasing a 3k debt when the odds are recovery are non existent. Of course you could pass the debt on to a debt agency. But I doubt that would recover much either.

The reality is that for a lot of tenants we have had to comply to landlords way of thinking - "you want a German way of renting? go back to Germany!".

" you want and unfurnished property then who will pay for MY storage".

" you want half decent in the property because I won't give you unfurnished - get stuffed, you'll ruin it like the last gang".

What I don't get is why you want to look for info on a tenant AFTER they have left you up the creek?

Do you realise that you can request RA to be directly paid to you? You can stipulate that in your agreement. Wouldn't that solve the problem of rent arrears? ( I had cause last year to have to do this after I had a pretty bad accident, I had my income insured but it took several weeks to sort with the insurance company, my LL was great, I asked the CWO to pay the RA directly into my LL's account, which they did, no problem).

The reason the quality of furnishings comes up is because it is in my experience a pile of brick a brack junk that is there because the LL is of the impression that I or my kids are vandals. Yet in the past when I asked to bring my own I was absolutely refused - so a landlord is telling me that I have to sit in basic squalor because it suits him - that's ludicrous,

You can't have it both ways I'm afraid, no more than we did.

I have been a tenant in three different countries, I am now a landlord in Ireland. I'm not trying to have anything both ways. The relationship between landlord and tenant does not have to be adversarial. but apparently all of your posts do, I'm not surprised you have issues.

There's as much understanding as there is for what it is like being a tenant Ray.
    As I have been both I would then have knowledge of both. LL have family and friends which means they tend to know exactley what problems a tenant can have. Lots have children renting which they pay for while they are in college.

There are a hell of a lot of tenants who don't have have any knowledge of what being a LL is like and no experience. Suggesting it is a class of people is a real indication of having no knowledge of who a LL is IMHO.

I wouldn't pin all my hopes of what you think will happen as an effect of what may happen. No regard for population increase or where the property is. Rent actually has gone up in Dublin. More people renting long term and a change in the family structures will permenatly change the market more so than changes to housing stock you mentioned. There is still a low supply of a varied rental stock. Lots of people wanting to live on their own are not catered for is an example. Lots of 3 bed places built when in fact there is less need as the family structures are pretty different.

There were terrible planning decisions made with very poor thoughts on sustainable housing models. I still think the idea of making it attractive for older couples to move into more suitable accomadation and get families into well serviced areas would have made a lot of sense. Could still work but there won't be much will as it wouldn't make revenue but would reduce costs in the long term.

The reality is that for a lot of tenants we have had to comply to landlords way of thinking - "you want a German way of renting? go back to Germany!".

" you want half decent in the property because I won't give you unfurnished - get stuffed, you'll ruin it like the last gang".

This can be broken down simply.
    You" I want something different to what you supply"
    LL" I don't supply that becasue the costs and negative experience"

You" I still want it why are you so backward"

LL" It isn't practicle as I have set-up to supply my service as is due to the market demand"
    You "I still want it"
    LL"You can't have it as we don't provide it we aren't in Germany"
    You " I still want it"
    LL" I wouldn't be willing to restrict myself for such a small demand at a cost to myself"
    You"I still want it and other people will want it too"
    LL"Really not worth it"
    You " I still want it"
    LL"NO!"
    You"Can I have new furniture?"
    LL"This is what I provide and I am not willing to spend extra money right now"
    You"This is riddiculous do you know what they do in Germany?"
    LL"Don't really care, this is the service we provide"

At some point it goes back and starts looping.

There are reasons and if there werene't there would people willing to supply it, you can either accept it or not but unlikely to change as generally that is what people expect and want in the Irish rental market

I have been a tenant in three different countries, I am now a landlord in Ireland. I'm not trying to have anything both ways. The relationship between landlord and tenant does not have to be adversarial. but apparently all of your posts do, I'm not surprised you have issues.

What issues do I "have"?

I never had a "relationship" with a landlord who would not rent me a home because I had kids/pets or when a landlord would not rent me a property unfurnished.

My present landlord did accept that I was a normal person with children and pets and I have been here without any problems for many years.

So, I have no issues with my landlord thanks.

• Advertisement

This can be broken down simply.
    You" I want something different to what you supply"
    LL" I don't supply that becasue the costs and negative experience"

You" I still want it why are you so backward"

LL" It isn't practicle as I have set-up to supply my service as is due to the market demand"
    You "I still want it"
    LL"You can't have it as we don't provide it we aren't in Germany"
    You " I still want it"
    LL" I wouldn't be willing to restrict myself for such a small demand at a cost to myself"
    You"I still want it and other people will want it too"
    LL"Really not worth it"
    You " I still want it"
    LL"NO!"
    You"Can I have new furniture?"
    LL"This is what I provide and I am not willing to spend extra money right now"
    You"This is riddiculous do you know what they do in Germany?"
    LL"Don't really care, this is the service we provide"

At some point it goes back and starts looping.

There are reasons and if there werene't there would people willing to supply it, you can either accept it or not but unlikely to change as generally that is what people expect and want in the Irish rental market

Completely irrelevant if what I want is an unfurnished property Ray.

But again, the underlined reason which you give for NOT supplying something is completely unjustified if you have a new tenant, you are punishing that tenant for something that they haven't done. In leaving crap stuff because of that, then you are saying to the tenant, I have no respect for you, no respect for the crap that I am leaving - and then you expect it to be treated with reverence.

As I have said before thing will hopefully change for both sides - but not every LL is bad, and not every tenant is either - as a tenant I can't tell how a prospective landlord is going to be, but I don't say, well screw him I'm going to presume he's bad and work from there!!

Landlords have the ways and means of taking precautions when letting property, they can ask for references, deposits etc and work from there - we can't, it's the luck of the draw and normally you have to go through couple of bad apples before you find the one!

The LL is exposed to vastly greater losses than the tenant. The LL could lose 20k and do relatively little about it. Its very naive to think otherwise.

Apparently the demand for unfurnished isn't there. I mean just because a handful want it doesn't make it viable. I might like cherry cola, but the numbers might not add up. That said I think the market is changing. I've certainly never had a tenant not ask for furniture.
    What I don't get is why you want to look for info on a tenant AFTER they have left you up the creek?

To find them. They vanished. References which checked out originally. Now gone cold.
    Do you realise that you can request RA to be directly paid to you? You can stipulate that in your agreement. Wouldn't that solve the problem of rent arrears? ( I had cause last year to have to do this after I had a pretty bad accident, I had my income insured but it took several weeks to sort with the insurance company, my LL was great, I asked the CWO to pay the RA directly into my LL's account, which they did, no problem).

Nope. Thats not correct. The tenant has to request it. Not all local authorities will do it either. The LL is a third party.
    The reason the quality of furnishings comes up is because it is in my experience a pile of brick a brack junk that is there because the LL is of the impression that I or my kids are vandals. Yet in the past when I asked to bring my own I was absolutely refused - so a landlord is telling me that I have to sit in basic squalor because it suits him - that's ludicrous,

Its usually what's left behind from the previous tenants. Many seem to think, a LL is a recycling agent or something. So they leave behind their old junk. Or they turned the existing furniture into Junk. The last couple of times I've been clearing houses, the incoming tenant has asked for stuff that I am clearing out. Thats not to say some LL just don't bother treating tenants well. But its not all of them.

Completely irrelevant if what I want is an unfurnished property Ray.

But again, the underlined reason which you give for NOT supplying something is completely unjustified if you have a new tenant, you are punishing that tenant for something that they haven't done. In leaving crap stuff because of that, then you are saying to the tenant, I have no respect for you, no respect for the crap that I am leaving - and then you expect it to be treated with reverence.

Landlords have the ways and means of taking precautions when letting property, they can ask for references, deposits etc and work from there - we can't, it's the luck of the draw and normally you have to go through couple of bad apples before you find the one!
    You really are having trouble either accepting or understanding what you want is not availible for a reason.Very simple LL offer a service one way you want another, they have already set it up there way no need for them to change for you as there are others who will. There is absolutely no reason for them to change.

LL are not punishing anybody they provide a service which includes the furniture, don't like it don't take it. It is what is provided. You haven't given a valid reason to provide the place vacant given how the places are as they are. Reasons not to do something are pretty valid reasons for people to not do something. People expect furnished places very few want any other way. Aim for the big market not som small section

None of the precasuions you think work, work. Been there done that. What do you do if the reference was good but they are still terrible, sue the guy who gave the reference How do you find the person after they do a runner? Go to there job? Maybe they changed jobs/lied about where they worked, don't have a job.

I'm done explaining somthing you won't accept as reality you have been given the reasons and reality all around you is telling you something too.

What issues do I "have"?

I never had a "relationship" with a landlord who would not rent me a home because I had kids/pets or when a landlord would not rent me a property unfurnished.

My present landlord did accept that I was a normal person with children and pets and I have been here without any problems for many years.

So, I have no issues with my landlord thanks.
    In fairness you have called them a "class" many times and many statements you made clearly show anger towards LL and parctices in Ireland.

The LL is exposed to vastly greater losses than the tenant. The LL could lose 20k and do relatively little about it. Its very naive to think otherwise.

But he's also exposed to huge profits BB. During the boom this was the case and rents kept rising and tenants could do absolutely nothing about it.

Again, it's a business and it's up to the businessman to make his plan BB.

If he's making a loss then he should bail - that's the way of the world. In business if you are making a loss then you pack up and walk away.

In fairness you have called them a "class" many times and many statements you made clearly show anger towards LL and parctices in Ireland.

Not against landlords, but absolutely about practices. And in my defence, listening to some of you here, you have issues of your own, trust me.

You really are having trouble either accepting or understanding what you want is not availible for a reason.Very simple LL offer a service one way you want another, they have already set it up there way no need for them to change for you as there are others who will. There is absolutely no reason for them to change.

LL are not punishing anybody they provide a service which includes the furniture, don't like it don't take it. It is what is provided. You haven't given a valid reason to provide the place vacant given how the places are as they are. Reasons not to do something are pretty valid reasons for people to not do something. People expect furnished places very few want any other way. Aim for the big market not som small section

None of the precasuions you think work, work. Been there done that. What do you do if the reference was good but they are still terrible, sue the guy who gave the reference How do you find the person after they do a runner? Go to there job? Maybe they changed jobs/lied about where they worked, don't have a job.

I'm done explaining somthing you won't accept as reality you have been given the reasons and reality all around you is telling you something too.

Ray, the property I am in is unfurnished so I have no clue what you are talking about?

When I was looking and found this, 3 landlords refused to consider this option, 2 are still vacant and one is (long time now) for sale.

Your reasoning "it is provided" is archaic and implies that tenants have to suck it up - we don't.

We move on until we find what we want and that is becoming easier.

The truth is that the more difficult it gets for landlords the more flexible they become. Very few (except my LL) think ahead of the curve and leave the furnished and unfurnished issue open so that the tenant has the choice.

Simply saying "well that's what I provide" and disregarding tenants wants is really setting yourself up for future failure.

But he's also exposed to huge profits BB. During the boom this was the case and rents kept rising and tenants could do absolutely nothing about it.

Again, it's a business and it's up to the businessman to make his plan BB.

If he's making a loss then he should bail - that's the way of the world. In business if you are making a loss then you pack up and walk away.

If money was that easily made people would do it instead of talking about it.

• Advertisement

..Very few (except my LL) think ahead of the curve and leave the furnished and unfurnished issue open so that the tenant has the choice...

I expect many don't have the means to move and store furniture. Tenants won't pay for that either.

Advertisement