Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling firearm privately, process?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi Folks,,

Just wondering whats the craic with selling a firearm privately?

Does it need to be stored with a RFD while the paperwork is being done or?

Can someone highlight this for me as I've never sold a firearm privately before.

Many Thanks,

John

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You do not HAVE TO store it with a dealer, but sometimes it can be easier/simpler to do it this way.

From an old post of mine that might be helpful.
    Its seems to have been answered by the above posts, but i thought i'd give you a run down of how i sold mine.
    • Advertise the rifle.
    • Meet buyer in public place. Ideally a range. Easy to demonstrate the rifle and plenty of others around. If not bring someone along. For security reasons obviously.
    • Agree a price for everything you are selling.
    • Write out a "contract" that both of you sign. Photocopy and keep original and give copy to buyer.
    • Give buyer your cert number and other details necessary to apply for license.
    • Get deposit. Depending on price i usually ask for 10%. Its enough to discourage time wasters.
    • The deposit is refundable ONLY if the buyer is refused a license. Anything else and its their loss.
    Here is where my two sales differ.

For one i was substituting so i surrendered the rifle to an RFD to hold the rifle until the sale was complete and as i would no longer be licensed.

For the other i held onto the rifle as i was not keeping the license. He got his license then i used the FCA2 to cancel mine. Was a crossover period of about 2-3 weeks before everything "settled".

In the case of the RFD holding my rifle it was now up to the buyer and him to get sorted however i did stay quite involved until all parties were happy and licensed. In the case of the rifle i sold by myself i met the buyer and handed over the rifle and collected the balance of the money. Give a receipt and keep a copy for yourself to say all monies are paid and everyone is satisfied with the deal.

In the case of the rifle i sold privately i asked for a copy of the buyers license (both sides), for my own records and proof of who i sold it to.

I think that covers it all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I went about buying my 2 privately first but when i went up to my rfd he told me id be waiting months and the super might not give them to me.
    He took the 2 guns in and i put his pulse details on the form and he didnt charge me anything for it.

He said the super doesnt like giving licences through private sales.
    Yours could be different though.

but what the plan before that was exactly what ez showed below

Advertisement