Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assault in Fr. Burke Park

Options
  • 17-12-2011 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Shame this has to be my first post but:
    My friend was just assaulted by 5 SCUMBAGS while walking
    from Fr Griffin Rd to Munster Ave. These W@nkers ran from drinking in the playground to kick the crap out of him and then legged it. He's battered and bruised but otherwise OK. They didn't rob anything despite him having just come from a gig and was carrying instruments. He did connect foot to face with one tho so keep an eye out....:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

mckymck wrote: »
    Shame this has to be my first post but:
    My friend was just assaulted by 5 SCUMBAGS while walking
    from Fr Griffin Rd to Munster Ave. These W@nkers ran from drinking in the playground to kick the crap out of him and then legged it. He's battered and bruised but otherwise OK. They didn't rob anything despite him having just come from a gig and was carrying instruments. He did connect foot to face with one tho so keep an eye out....:mad:
    Glad he is okay. Have ye contacted the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mckymck

Reported. For what it's worth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Sorry to hear.

Where about is the Fr Burke park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Sorry to hear.

Where about is the Fr Burke park?

It's the playground behind Four Star, I reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Probably regular scumbags....which means the guards won't go near them because their mammies are well known and will give them alibis and abuse the guards as well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Freaky! I posted a blog the other day about accomodation in Galway and mentioned when I lived in Dominick Street I got a lot of hassle from townies walking around that area : http://thecityfathers.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/looking-for-accomodation-in-galway/

Townies drinking bottles of Buckfast, just looking to fight for no reason at all. Pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Go up to Supermacs in the square and ID them....they should be there by now.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Go up to Supermacs in the square and ID them....they should be there by now.
    Unfortunately my friend has poor eyesight so no ID.
    These guys were heard smashing their bottles in the playground just before the incident(Why isn't Buckfast only sold in plastic?) There's a well known B+B adjacent so an attack on guests is almost inevitable. As for the building at the other end of the park owned by a "prominent business person", The state of it is feckin' appalling! A rat trap being left to rot by the pampered classes of Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Did they attack him on the street, or the path running through the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

They ll be there again tonight and the next weekend and the next. The same dumb ****s are always drinking in that playground or in the bushes behind it. Passed them loads of times and I've no doubt they get the buckfast from a certain corner shop in the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They ll be there again tonight and the next weekend and the next. The same dumb ****s are always drinking in that playground or in the bushes behind it. Passed them loads of times and I've no doubt they get the buckfast from a certain corner shop in the area
    Its not Buckfast's fault that these cretins are prone to violent outbursts, if it wasn't Buckfast it would be cheap cans, and either way if there wasn't drink they would still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Its not Buckfast's fault that these cretins are prone to violent outbursts, if it wasn't Buckfast it would be cheap cans, and either way if there wasn't drink they would still do it.

Buckie just seems to x10 faster what was already there. Faster than cans. The only similarity I've seen is with whiskey.

If you've the slightest inclination to be violent / take your clothes off / cry / sing, whatever it is.. you are way more likely to do it in the course of the night when drinking buckie. It's the insane caffeine buzz combined with the inhibition killing booze AND affordable combo (and some say delicious, some horrendous)

(this is just from observing the behaviour of people I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There was a serious scumbag element around town last night alright for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There was a serious scumbag element around town last night alright for some reason.

The celebration of the birth of Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eimear10

I've never been to Galway so I dont know if Galways scumbags look and act like Dublin scumbags ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

inisboffin wrote: »
    Buckie just seems to x10 faster what was already there. Faster than cans. The only similarity I've seen is with whiskey.

If you've the slightest inclination to be violent / take your clothes off / cry / sing, whatever it is.. you are way more likely to do it in the course of the night when drinking buckie. It's the insane caffeine buzz combined with the inhibition killing booze AND affordable combo (and some say delicious, some horrendous)

lol if you could hear yourself...

You're probably also the type to think people who drop yokes are likely to bate the head off ya as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

What time did it happen at ?

If you've the slightest inclination to be violent / take your clothes off / cry / sing, whatever it is.. you are way more likely to do it in the course of the night when drinking buckie. It's the insane caffeine buzz combined with the inhibition killing booze AND affordable combo[SIZE="1"] (and some say delicious, some horrendous)[/SIZE]

lol if you could hear yourself...

You're probably also the type to think people who drop yokes are likely to bate the head off ya as well?

Lol! Relax. I am not smearing the holy name!

Nope, haven't seen much of that with 'yokes'

If *you* re-read what I wrote you'll see I only speak from observing what I see in people around me. And that it only seems to magnify what's there already!
    I think the biggest difference with Buckie is that at the point you would normally 'pass out' you just keep going due to the ingredients - so you see behaviour that's different to with other booze.

You have to love the religious 'defense of the buckie' (sure it's only like water).

Methinks the (lad?) doth protest too much ;)

Also we're way off topic. Hope your friend's doing better OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Lol! Relax. I am not smearing the holy name!
    Confused as to why you felt my post conveyed anger or anything that would need me to 'relax'.
    I think the biggest difference with Buckie is that at the point you would normally 'pass out' you just keep going due to the ingredients - so you see behaviour that's different to with other booze.
    Would you expect a dignified lady to pass out after consuming a bottle of wine over dinner? No? Then why would you presume say, a teenage male who's probably puts away a fair amount of drink regularly to pass out after a bottle of Buckfast save for it's caffeine content?
    You have to love the religious 'defense of the buckie' (sure it's only like water).

Methinks the (lad?) doth protest too much ;)
    My post was two lines long, laughing at your generalizations. If you think that's 'too much' protesting then maybe internet forums aren't for you.

Confused as to why you felt my post conveyed anger or anything that would need me to 'relax'.

Would you expect a dignified lady to pass out after consuming a bottle of wine over dinner? No? Then why would you presume say, a teenage male who's probably puts away a fair amount of drink regularly to pass out after a bottle of Buckfast save for it's caffeine content?

My post was two lines long, laughing at your generalizations. If you think that's 'too much' protesting then maybe internet forums aren't for you.

Didn't think you were angry tbh, just a phrase. Thought it was funny though.
    Never mentioned anything about quantity/gender of boozers, that was all you! And depends on the lady!
    I've seen people do 3 bottles of buckie where they would be flat out with 3 bottles of wine though. That's just my experience.
    Joke, Shakespeare. Thanks for the advice re where I should spend my time. Will give it serious consideration ;)

The fact that we're still discussing it though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i should point out that the park is notorious for assaults and best avoided after dark, especially if by yourself.

I understand the parks notoriety although I've never seen an assault there, only heard about them, like this one. The attack took place less than 30 meters from Fr.Griffin Rd, among the busiest in town. My friend's OK BTW, Bruised, maybe fractured rib but won't be a very nice christmas for him.
    I don't think persecuting buckfast is the answer either, nobody (producer or consumer) cares. If the same criterion were applied to drugs across the board Buckfast would be declared class A and banned accordingly. But we don't want that.
    The Council spoke three years ago about some resolve:
    http://archive.galwayindependent.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3364&Itemid=82

mckymck wrote: »
    I understand the parks notoriety although I've never seen an assault there, only heard about them, like this one. The attack took place less than 30 meters from Fr.Griffin Rd, among the busiest in town. My friend's OK BTW, Bruised, maybe fractured rib but won't be a very nice christmas for him.
    I don't think persecuting buckfast is the answer either, nobody (producer or consumer) cares. If the same criterion were applied to drugs across the board Buckfast would be declared class A and banned accordingly. But we don't want that.
    The Council spoke three years ago about some resolve:
    http://archive.galwayindependent.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3364&Itemid=82

A*sholes will be a*sholes indeed. And banning anything isn't the solution. Smashed glass in playgrounds really p*sses me off however. Friends of mine work close to the park, be no harm for everyone to be vigilant and keep an eye out for others if they can. I've said it to them too.

To clarify for anyone trying to build a picture here.
    It's worth noting this particular walk doesn't look safe at night(No need for local experience to see that), you can see from one side of the park to the other, it's well lit and you would normally see big groups of lads around the benches etc.

I live close by and I'd never walk through if I saw anyone drinking in there, it's not like the Spanish Arch where you get groups having a few before town, it's only ever populated by low life scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LANOOCHUDLE

i think its time to bring in charles bronson..."death wish "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Anytime I pass it during the day I see a few dodgy characters in there so it's way worse at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Have the Guards collected the broken bottles & tested them for prints ?

Or even better send a plain clothes officer to walk through there late at night with a tempting smartphone in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Discodog wrote: »
    Have the Guards collected the broken bottles & tested them for prints ?

Or even better send a plain clothes officer to walk through there late at night with a tempting smartphone in his hand.

Not trying to downplay the seriousness of the incident, but I don't think dusting for prints here is a good use of garda time really. Its not some TV series where that happens in 5 minutes.

I think i'd prefer to see some uniformed gardai on the beat more often in places like this around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I disagree. I think that any violence should be at the very top of Garda priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Discodog wrote: »
    I disagree. I think that any violence should be at the very top of Garda priorities.
    It should be a priority but how to deal with it is up for discussion, constant patrolling of problem areas would be of more use than CSI time consuming time wasting, sure how many people have been drinking down there who had nothing to do with the assault, what do you do find them all and ask them?

Advertisement