Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC now supplying Cisco EPC3925 for faster speeds?

• 17-12-2011 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Finally got around to upgrading my 30 meg UPC connection to 50 meg and was fully expecting to receive the Thompson router. When the courier delivered it today I was very surprised, then, to open the box and find a Cisco EPC3925 - I initially thought they'd made a mistake and sent me another 2425, as they look almost identical at first glance.

The one slight problem is that, as I was expecting the Thompson router, all my research into the flaws and workarounds of that one are useless! :) It's actually very difficult to find much opinion (in English) on the Cisco at all on the net.

First impressions: the interface is about a million times better than on the old Cisco, but the wireless signal seems a bit weaker - it's only got an internal antenna and no external one. Does do 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz but not both at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Finally got around to upgrading my 30 meg UPC connection to 50 meg and was fully expecting to receive the Thompson router. When the courier delivered it today I was very surprised, then, to open the box and find a Cisco EPC3925 - I initially thought they'd made a mistake and sent me another 2425, as they look almost identical at first glance.

The one slight problem is that, as I was expecting the Thompson router, all my research into the flaws and workarounds of that one are useless! :) It's actually very difficult to find much opinion (in English) on the Cisco at all on the net.

First impressions: the interface is about a million times better than on the old Cisco, but the wireless signal seems a bit weaker - it's only got an internal antenna and no external one. Does do 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz but not both at the same time.
    So is this the new modem for all new 50mb subscriptions?
    if so i'll stick with my 2425, I depend on the wireless function allot and the 2425 gives me a good constant signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

mark17j wrote: »
    I depend on the wireless function allot and the 2425 gives me a good constant signal.

I should say that I didn't do any rigorous testing - I was getting dropouts at a similar range when I used wireless on the 2425 so I don't know if there's a dramatic difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 d49nbrwuac0is8

Hey i was on 100mb with the thompson , wireless was fine, (well as good as wireless can get) im now on the 100mb business package so far the download 105mb and upload 9.2mb are the same on the new cisco router , but in reality i only get a solid download of 6 or 7mb per sec, and upload max is 1.13mb per second. they told me that they were having problems with the thompson woirelss routers so theyv stopped using them and wait for it.. wait for it... theyr bringing out 200mb next year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So does it have a bridge mode

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TweekeewT

Not that I can see, no. This still seems like the best solution for bridging.

• Advertisement

TweekeewT wrote: »
    Not that I can see, no. This still seems like the best solution for bridging.

For **** sake......

yes i t does, im not a tech expert, but i saw an option for bridge mode a second ago

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Finally. All I want is a DOCSIS 3.0 device that supports bridging.

i was tryna do a screen shot ther but im not used to the new setup screen yet, i only use it to keep an eye on wireless connections ya know. Il have a poke around the menu again.

137de7d31de0a885753173204f6153e3.jpg

is that it? its a repeater or something, i really dont get all this tech stuff but i defo saw a bridge mode tab when i first opened the router ip

• Advertisement

No thats not it...It might be under services or administration...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1375138

Looks like it does indeed have bridge mode. Now all we need to find out is if phones will work with it while in bridge mode.

sorry folks im lost, wtf is bridging anyway, in 10 words, im presuming it has something to do with data tranfer

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/bridge

still dont get it though, is it something to do with being able to hijack networks with a cloned mac address or something, please explain in 10 words

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/bridge

still dont get it though, is it something to do with being able to hijack networks with a cloned mac address or something, please explain in 10 words

The cisco box you have has both a modem and a router. The modem handles the internet connection and the router handles all your local connections (laptops, computers, games consoles etc). Some people buy nice expensive routers that are pretty shít hot and much better than the one built into the cisco. Bridging lets them use their router instead of the built in one.

ah ok, would a "**** hot" router allow me to allocate only a specific amount of bandwith for a wireless device ? eg allocate a max of 10mb for say an ipad

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Bridging is, connecting a different router usually better to the current UPC modem and using that instead for internet access. If the bridging works with phone on this model, that would be excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mmrs

Just upgraded to 100Mb. Dont like the new router. How would I go about bridging this? n00b:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 offline.seller

This does in fact support bridging. I had two installed during the week and are both configured in bridge mode. Seems to have sorted some latency issues we were having with the older model too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 offline.seller

Also, bridge mode was configured from UPC's end.

im defo not gettin the same upload speed, i was gettin a solid 1.13mb steady upstream for filing and now im getting about 800kpbs, if it continues to be that slow off peak and during peak im gonna **** this router back at em , if its the network then il jsut dis-continue the contract, i mean how on earth could a residential package outperform a business package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Do you have the phone from them too as the other model supported bridging but the phone didn't work in bridge mode so couldn't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

If you think about it the phone would need its own real internet address to comunicate back to UPC. So maybe they just don't want to give out more than one IP address to each customer.

Is bridge mode an official option on the new router or does it have to be hacked like the old one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

bricks wrote: »
    If you think about it the phone would need its own real internet address to comunicate back to UPC. So maybe they just don't want to give out more than one IP address to each customer.

Is bridge mode an official option on the new router or does it have to be hacked like the old one?
    the phone and broadband are completely separate.

yes it's still voip, but not in the same sense as say skype or blueface is, it's not being sent directly over your internet connection, the two are totally segregated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 burt

Were your installs business or consumer? If I just call them, will they enable bridging?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellizer

Hi - I just received the Cisco EPC3925 router this morning and believe this does NOT support bridging as it comes - I have looked at every tab and cannot find it. From the other forums I believe it does support it however not as UPC configures it.

Also - How can UPC enable it remotely as this is a router centric configuration option and nothing to do with the data connection..

I am trying to get this to connect to my vigor 2920n router as this has many more options (VPN/Call-In etc..)

Thanks,

Ian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kellizer

I think this answers the question..

http://www.pcwintech.com/files/screenshots/cisco-epc3925/020.png

-
    the UPC version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

am i correct in saying that i cannot change the wifi password on this modem like I did with my last upc one? seems to be well locked down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frlinux

Got that modem today after upgrading to 50Mb, very nice speed as far as i am concerned: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1792574564.png

Now I can also confirmed that they disabled bridging and also that IP passthrough is not possible. That said, way better device than the thomson.

Advertisement