Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC now supplying Cisco EPC3925 for faster speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frlinux

sweetie wrote: »
    am i correct in saying that i cannot change the wifi password on this modem like I did with my last upc one? seems to be well locked down!

Wrong, you can change it, log on then click on Wireless/Wireless Security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the 24xx series cisco routers wont do 50mb or higher

you need the 39xx series for that.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

We recently got upgraded to this new router, but the signal is pretty poor, so its very difficult to even get a connection 4-5m from the router.

From reading some of the replies, am I right in saying that I wouldn't be able to connect another wireless router to this cisco epc3925 one in order to give a better signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

After reading this thread I think i'll hold onto my Cisco 2524 and not upgrade to 50mb after all. never thought i'd ever say that.lol I rely on the wireless function allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 billyj2

Hi,
    just recently changed to UPC and received the 3925. Does anyone know how to manage bandwidth on wireless devices? I think someone else on this thread already asked that. Previously I was on eircom and found the settings on their modem, but it isn't jumping out at me on the EPC interface.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 rezzer

I got the New cisco EPC3925 last week because of the rebooting/wiping problem with that thomson crap.
    The wifi is super **** on the cisco. I feel I traded one problem with another even worse problem.
    I could have lived with the rebooting. It use to only happen me when I turned on a lan connected pc but the wifi on the Cisco is a non runner. Something has to change. It seams to be worse on my wife's Iphone 4S. My Galaxy s2 can get it mostly but if I'm in the kitchen it tends to drop out. I'm talking about a distance of 9m at most. The problem is the kitchen is on the other side of a gable wall. The thomson had no issue with it though.
    These things are not cheap. The service engineer said the thomson was something like €300.
    Un Fecken Believable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Seriously can they not get a decent Docsis 3.0 Modem only device and allow us to use our own routers like we had with the EPC2203....****ing ridiculous in this day and age.
    The 2203 had ports for the phone so that end was taken care of, you literally had a straight connection to UPC's network with your own router.

Yes, agree completely, I still have the Eircom modem sitting there because of 30 day notice period. The difference in the wireless signal is fairly significant between the two in some parts of the house. My son is still using eircom on his laptop, he is in for a bit of a shock when it is turned off!

mark17j wrote: »
    After reading this thread I think i'll hold onto my Cisco 2524 and not upgrade to 50mb after all. never thought i'd ever say that.lol I rely on the wireless function allot.

I have been running some speed tests on my (supposedly 50mb) connection and I am getting about 30mb - which to be honest is perfectly fine, we stream and do other stuff and it is grand. Don't know if you are a really heavy user, but for most purposes I reckon sticking with 25 - if you are getting 25 - is probably a perfectly good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

i have just received an upgraded modem/router (cisco EPC3925) to replace my previous seperate modem and router (netgear) setup, from wha i find so far this new unit is crap , my old setup had signal strength of 75% and speed of 48mbps versus cisco unit of 45% and speed of 24mbps

netgear unit is 4 years old and a lot faster by the figures , i rang upc about it and they say changed a few settings and router channel but it is no better , they say the cisco unit is far better, am i missing sumit or is this new cisco unit just crap ? anyone anyone experiences like this ?

also just wondering what mbps speeds should i be achieving with this new unit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

mustang01 wrote: »
    i have just received an upgraded modem/router (cisco EPC3925) to replace my previous seperate modem and router (netgear) setup, from wha i find so far this new unit is crap , my old setup had signal strength of 75% and speed of 48mbps versus cisco unit of 45% and speed of 24mbps

netgear unit is 4 years old and a lot faster by the figures , i rang upc about it and they say changed a few settings and router channel but it is no better , they say the cisco unit is far better, am i missing sumit or is this new cisco unit just crap ? anyone anyone experiences like this ?

also just wondering what mbps speeds should i be achieving with this new unit ?

Hiya, just got my EPC3925 today replacing my 3,5yrs old modem+router setup (even if the guy from UPC told me I'm going to get a 2425 and the attached brochure says the same BS).

Like Mustang01 I still have the old Scientific Atlanta + Netgear WRG619 v9 setup, working stable with no flaws. Reading this thread makes me worried, but I think I'll give a try on the new stuff tonight, but what if I'm not happy and would like to get back to the old setup?

Will that work w/o any issue, delay, etc?

Tks & cheers
    Balinov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Using the new 3925 modem – received last week – my WiFi is much weaker. I can no longer pick up a reliable signal in any room the modem is not located (might be thick walls?).

For the record, there's no change at all on wired speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm considering moving from the 25mb package to the 100mb one.

With the new router, is it possible to totally disable wireless on it, and then use my own wireless router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Paulw wrote: »

With the new router, is it possible to totally disable wireless on it, and then use my own wireless router?
    Yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

So, the 3925 can't be used in bridging mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Got offered the Cisco epc3925 as a free upgrade and stupidly said yes. The range is rubbish and I only upgraded in the hope of a better signal/aerial than the 2425. Lost wifi in several rooms with new yoke:mad

Was all set to demand my old modem back but I thought I'd try an
    Old range expander that wouldn't work with the 2425. Works great now and have signal in rooms that were always out of range:)

Lucky that I had a linksys Wre54g knocking around otherwise worst upgrade ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

I had a problem with the range on my mine changing the encryption from WPA TKIP to WPA AES seems to have improved things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

neGev wrote: »
    So, the 3925 can't be used in bridging mode?

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Originally Posted by Paulw

Yes!

Would you mind telling how as it seems - according to other posts - that the 3925 does NOT allow for bridging ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Turn off dhcp server on your wireless router, plug LAN port of router into LAN port of Cisco, configure up settings and presto

• Advertisement

Turn off dhcp server on your wireless router, plug LAN port of router into LAN port of Cisco, configure up settings and presto

Sorry, but I am afraid that this is not as simple as that as you will have a dual router setup this way with all the issues of that config (e.g. separate IP segments needed; NAT/port forwarding etc.) - which is why the bridging function is imperative .... Hence my question ....

Actually it is totally possible.

Let the Cisco router handle dhcp and disable wireless on it.

Change the ip address of the second router to something on the range the Cisco is on.

Disable dhcp on the second router

Using a cat5 x over cable connect up LAN port 1 to LAN port 1 on the second router.

Set up the second router to broadcast wireless.

Then the Cisco is doing all your routIng and the second is only acting as a wireless hub.

Trust me... It works

Actually it is totally possible.

Let the Cisco router handle dhcp and disable wireless on it.

Change the ip address of the second router to something on the range the Cisco is on.

Disable dhcp on the second router

Using a cat5 x over cable connect up LAN port 1 to LAN port 1 on the second router.

Set up the second router to broadcast wireless.

Then the Cisco is doing all your routIng and the second is only acting as a wireless hub.

Trust me... It works

Matt,

What you are describing here is using your own wireless router as a wireless access-point ..... and sure this works if all you want to ot use the wireless capability of your own wireless router.
    BUT the real question is to bypass the Cisco's routing function completely and use your own router's routing capablities (as well as wireless obviously) .....

Cheers,
    Stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If you contact UPC with the MAC address of your own router they'll enable bridging for you (for business connections anyway)

Stone wrote: »
    Matt,

What you are describing here is using your own wireless router as a wireless access-point ..... and sure this works if all you want to ot use the wireless capability of your own wireless router.
    BUT the real question is to bypass the Cisco's routing function completely and use your own router's routing capablities (as well as wireless obviously) .....

Cheers,
    Stone
    Yes, but its not possible so i offered a workaround which does a similar job. (OP looking for better signal, not routing capabilities)

there's no significant benefit to bypassing the ciscos routing functionality so the solution i offered will do what he wants to do, extend the wireless signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

according to what i've read online, the 3925 has a DMZ option the same as the thompson router before it, so you can just do what all us thompson owners did and disable everything on the UPC router and connect your own routers WAN port to it and stick it in the DMZ and let it look after everything.

it's not quite bridging, but it's functionally the same for port forwarding and that kind of thing and plenty of people here are using it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

I got the free router upgrade from EPC 2425 to the EPC 3925 and have found the wireless strength terrible. As others have mentioned, it's now very hard to pick up the wifi in rooms where it previously worked fine. I specifically asked the UPC lad on the phone whether the new router would have worse signal too and he said it would be the exact same :mad:

Anyway, I was wondering if there is anything on this attached image below that should be changed, because I remember when I first got the EPC 2425 there were a couple of options that people recommended should be ticked. Thanks

Zys1J.jpg

Anyone else getting the old "limited access" status on wireless connections with this router. It was stable for a few weeks but we are getting this all the time now in different locations in the house and different machines. Its a royal pain at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pdidit

what is the default password on the router?

sorry if this was asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

@Matt-Dublin

Wondering if you can help me out I have this Cisco Modem and I used the work around for bridge mode Vibe mentioned above to use my Cisco E4200 Router, but if I read you right if I basically Disable DHCP on the E4200 and use a cross over cable to hook the router into the 3925 port 1, I can have all wireless devices using the E4200 and I'll be able to use all the ethernet ports on both routers. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks

Advertisement