Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skinny Jeans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Men shouldn't be wearing jeans. Get yourself a cheap pair of tracksuit bottoms from Dunnes, a baseball cap, a pregnant girlfriend and you'll look as manly as f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Hey man. Those skinny jeans looks great on you!

Said nobody, ever :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Festy wrote: »
    Bootcut jeans look more ridiculous than skinny jeans imo.
    awec wrote: »
    The most ridiculous cut of jean on anyone is bootcut.
    Here's a link to levi's bootcut range, they look like what I would call "normal jeans"
    http://eu.levi.com/en_IE/search.html?levisQuery=bootcut

Perhaps people are seeing people in flares and calling them bootcut?

Can either of you point to a pair you would consider OK on the levis site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why wouldn't it be intact in skinny jeans? :confused: They aren't that much different in the crotch area to any other jeans, they are tighter in the legs.

Fair enough not everyone likes them, they don't suit everyone. This bootcut craze irish men have though is comical.

The reason you don't find boot cut in the shops is that nobody wears the damn things, because they look silly. :)

Skinny jeans are comical, chinos hanging off your arse exposing your undies are silly. And as for the drooping arse look in some jeans/chinos it just makes you look like you had the biggest shit of all time in your pants and you are carrying it around

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

rubadub wrote: »
    Here's a link to levi's bootcut range, they look like what I would call "normal jeans"

None of those are "normal". They are all bootcut.

Comically all modelled with dodgy brown shoes, how farmer-esque.

There is a reason you can hardly find bootcut jeans in shops.

I don't particulary like Levi full stop, but these aren't so bad:

http://eu.levi.com/en_IE/shop/products/male-Bottoms-Jeans-&-Pants/508-Regular-Taper-16508-0082.html

kfallon wrote: »
    Skinny jeans are comical, chinos hanging off your arse exposing your undies are silly. And as for the drooping arse look in some jeans/chinos it just makes you look like you had the biggest shit of all time in your pants and you are carrying it around
    Showing underwear is silly looking I agree. As is the dropped crotch thing.

Bootcut jeans are just as bad though.

You don't need to wear skinny, get a pair of straight jeans or tapered or something along those lines.

Unfortunately there are plenty of irish men who think anything other than bootcut is "skinny". :pac:

I think I have a pair of skinny chinos :p

Why does that not surprise me :P

You don't need to wear skinny, get a pair of straight jeans or tapered or something along those lines.

Unfortunately there are plenty of irish men who think anything other than bootcut is "skinny". :pac:

No showing undewear in bootcut nor is there the dropped crotch. In about 50 years time people will look back at bootcut jeans and maybe say, "They're ok but they could have been better".....they will look back at men wearing skinny jeans and say, "Ha ha ha look at those 'pigs ears' from the 2010's!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Bootcut jeans are really backwards. I used to wear them as a teen. I thought they were cool. Now they are only reseverved ther very none fasion concious person. The country lad going to college, the 30 something that's still wearing what he thought was cool in 1999.

Skinny jeans are fine, slim fit are even better and less douchey. Plenty of sexy ladies I know, like a man in Skinny jeans. I love skinny jeans on girls. You get to check out the ass and I love the shape of a nice pair of thighs on a girl in skinnies. I'm not saying men and women are the same but surely a woman checking a guy out in skinnies enjoys them for similar reasons?

It also depends on how you wear them. Some guys go overkill. They are super skinny themselves and they look decrepid in skinnies. Other lads wear skinnies but not so tight and they appear fine.

I'm a fan of slim fit jeans. They compliment my figure. There's no extra bag. They appear more fitted.

I'm not too big on bootcut jeans myself, it's difficult to find a pair that look great. I usually go for either flared or slim as they seem to suit me a lot more. Skinny jeans I could never do, I just wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them. I don't hate them with a passion (to be honest after reading some of the comments in this thread it shows what a cultured lot we Irish are) but I still wouldn't be seen dead in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Maybe go on a diet?

No, he's right. Jean sizes seem to favour the effeminate man these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

That's more or less because underwear is designed that way now with a big waistband to be seen. I don't mind it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I imagine myself as a 70 year old man looking at myself in skinny jeans and thinking "bell-end" so i dont buy them. Couldnt give a rats arse whether girls like them or not. I'm a man and i'll dress accordingly thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

geetar wrote: »
    for gods sake this thread is a year old

people are confusing skinny jeans (the skin tight painted on ones) with slim fitted jeans.

slim fitting trousers are comfortable and they're stylish. gone are the days that its a "hipster" thing. its a social norm.

you all sound like a bunch of grannys complaining about what some people like to wear. get over yourselves.

Tbh, I see some jeans advertised as skinny but they're just better fitted and still quite loose. I wouldn't go as far as calling them skinny though.

I have a pair of Abercrombie jeans and they're skinny, which is just slightly better fitted, with the Irish equivalent of skinny being the super skinny as they call them. Now they're skin tight and look bad on a guy IMO.

Not a fan of boot leg jeans because there's no shape at all to them and you have to get a good expensive pair for them to look halfway decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

I imagine myself as a 70 year old man looking at myself in skinny jeans and thinking "bell-end" so i dont buy them. Couldnt give a rats arse whether girls like them or not. I'm a man and i'll dress accordingly thank you.

Accordingly , like silk house coat and cravat with pipe for the evening . Boot cut jeans brown pointy shoes and suit jacket for day wear ? you might look back when your 70 and say , you know what I wish I could fit into skinny jeans now !

I'm already thinking that way about baggy jeans, something I was very guilty of in the last decade. Looking back they were a bit ridiculous, along with oversized band tees.

• Advertisement

The only way you'll never look back at any of your clothes and think they look silly is if you dress so utterly dull and boring so as to highlight your clear insecurities. "Oh those are for women, real men can't wear them". If you put a lot of effort into looking bland and uninteresting then you'll be alright.

The only way you'll never look back at any of your clothes and think they look silly is if you dress so utterly dull and boring so as to highlight your clear insecurities. "Oh those are for women, real men can't wear them". If you put a lot of effort into looking bland and uninteresting then you'll be alright.

If bland and uninteresting means not walking around in effeminate clothing then wear do i sign up?

I blame the flouridation of the water, where is Run to da Hills when you need him?

aodhan2 wrote: »
    Accordingly , like silk house coat and cravat with pipe for the evening . Boot cut jeans brown pointy shoes and suit jacket for day wear ? you might look back when your 70 and say , you know what I wish I could fit into skinny jeans now !

Did you get all that from "accordingly"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

If bland and uninteresting means not walking around in effeminate clothing then wear do i sign up?

I blame the flouridation of the water, where is Run to da Hills when you need him?

It's not really effeminate, Robin Hood wore tights and he was bad ass

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Bad ass .....and fictional. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Unwearable if your balls have dropped.

He hung around with a friar.....I'd say he was some craic alright :rolleyes:

:P

Yes because..............no.

Edit: if skinny jeans can make you look less effeminate i'd be checking your barse for a gash

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I'm sure a lot of you skinny jeans hating men will be donning your finest boot cut jeans (heavily frayed at the bottom), brown shoes with a tucked in GAA jersey this Friday in McGowens with a pint of Carlsberg, a breakfast roll and great chats about 'birds'. At least you don't look like a 'homosexual'. Well done, 'lads'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

The reason you don't find boot cut in the shops is that nobody wears the damn things, because they look silly. :)

And these DON'T?! http://images.asos.com/inv/media/3/6/6/1/2161663/burgundy/image1xl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Poll?

This is going nowhere otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Can they add a poll after the thread has started? Didn't think it could be done. yes it'd be interesting to see. Though stupidusernames post (1st reply on 1st page) and the thanks it got kind of says a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Poll?

This is going nowhere otherwise.

I dunno. The thread's been going for 10 months now.

Let's give it a year and then see where we stand. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Every guy I know that wears skinny jeans is gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

rubadub wrote: »

I agree that is what i would like to see the styles available in shops go back to. Bootcut doesn't have to mean 2004 style. Just a subtle bootcut is ideal like those on the levi's site.

I hate skinny jeans, i think they look horrible. We will look back on these times as an awful time for fashion. In 20 years time men will see photos of themselves in skinny jeans and blush.

• Advertisement

All this 'gay' talk is ridiculous. I'd say any man on here who is anti fitted jeans has no idea about fashion at all. You look **** in your baggy, knackered jeans and brown ****ing school shoes.

Skinny jeans are not going to suit every person but anything less (more) than straight leg or slim jeans looks sloppy and dated.

It's fairly distasteful also to imply that something looks 'gay'. As if 'gay' was a disease.

woodoo wrote: »

I agree that is what i would like to see the styles available in shops go back to. Bootcut doesn't have to mean 2004 style. Just a subtle bootcut is ideal like those on the levi's site.

I hate skinny jeans, i think they look horrible. We will look back on these times as an awful time for fashion. In 20 years time men will see photos of themselves in skinny jeans and blush.

Bootcut are severely embarrassing. You see some guy that's spent time and effort getting cool shoes and they block them off with naff bootcut jeans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Why would anybody care about having an idea about fashion? :confused: Fashion trends are just a group of designers telling you what to wear. No no dahling you can't wear that anymore, here buy this ridiculous looking thing for only €400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Lemonperv wrote: »
    Bootcut are severely embarrassing. You see some guy that's spent time and effort getting cool shoes and they block them off with naff bootcut jeans...

Why can't there be a happy medium. Somewhere between the two. Its either skinny/tapered or bootcut/flare. I don't want the sort of bootcut that has been popular for the last 10 years or so. But I don't want something that nips in at the shoe either.

I'm in my early 30's i don't want my shoes too prominent but i don't want them drowning in jeans either.

All this 'gay' talk is ridiculous. I'd say any man on here who is anti fitted jeans has no idea about fashion at all. You look **** in your baggy, knackered jeans and brown ****ing school shoes.

Skinny jeans are not going to suit every person but anything less (more) than straight leg or slim jeans looks sloppy and dated.

It's fairly distasteful also to imply that something looks 'gay'. As if 'gay' was a disease.

I have nothing against fitted jeans, I usually wear straight leg jeans and I don't like ones that are baggy or boot cut. I usually wear fitted clothes cos I'm in good physical shape so they suit me. Nothing gay about that.

I just think skinny jeans look retarded and are often worn by homosexual men, hence they look gay and if people see you wearing them they could assume you are gay and in my experience they would probably be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

There's a difference between 'fitted' and ball strangling jeans that look like you nicked them off your sister.

Would rather be considered unfashionable than degrade myself into impressing de kool kidz by wearing skimpy v-neck cleavage shirts and bright tight jeans. :P (but to be clear: I don't wear these brown shoes you speak of, or overly baggy jeans)

And if you think that people are literally referring to homosexuals when they call something gay then you're the one who appears to be outdated! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I'm sure a lot of you skinny jeans hating men will be donning your finest boot cut jeans (heavily frayed at the bottom), brown shoes with a tucked in GAA jersey this Friday in McGowens with a pint of Carlsberg, a breakfast roll and great chats about 'birds'. At least you don't look like a 'homosexual'. Well done, 'lads'.

Hahaha man speaks the truth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭King Of Wishful Thinking

Why would anyone give a toss about what other people wear?

If something looks good on someone, I'll look (for a long time if they're hawt) and if what they're wearing doesn't look so good (to me) then I'll avert my eyes and look at something else.

EdenHazard wrote: »

Hahaha man speaks the truth

I'm a woman but thanks!

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »

There's a difference between 'fitted' and ball strangling jeans that look like you nicked them off your sister.

Would rather be considered unfashionable than degrade myself into impressing de kool kidz by wearing skimpy v-neck cleavage shirts and bright tight jeans. :P (but to be clear: I don't wear these brown shoes you speak of, or overly baggy jeans)

And if you think that people are literally referring to homosexuals when they call something gay then you're the one who appears to be outdated! ;)

When people call something 'gay' and they are not referring to homosexuals but are showing distaste for something then that is, of course, offensive.

I do find the deep v-neck tee shirts, scarfs, in doors hats and skinny jeans combo a bit much but I don't mind if someone chooses to wear it (usually younger males with an interest in fashion which is not just the territory for gay men).

Personally, I like skinny, slim and straight leg jeans on men with a simple t-shirt etc. and nice trainers (Converse, Adidas Originals...). Always looks well put together for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I personally can't stand wearing them; but I feel this is an important step in the right direction for gender equality.

Only a few decades ago we used to have 'Mens' clothing and 'Womens' clothing. Then women decided 'No, we want equal rights' and they started wearing Mens clothing. Now, society accepts that women can wear the same styles as men - they don't need to wear dresses and skirts - they can wear pants and jeans.

But Men didn't experience the same transition. Men still didn't wear women's clothing.

Skinny jeans, immediately before the male (emo) teens started wearing them, were exclusively girl jeans. The first ones to do it were actually buying GIRL jeans from the girl's section of the store - because they didn't make skinny jeans for men.

Now it's mainstream and guys have successful adopted a clothing style formerly only available for women.

I hope the trend continues and guys feel comfortable enough to wear whatever women's clothing they want; in the same way women can wear clothes traditionally intended for guys.

UCDVet wrote: »
    I hope the trend continues and guys feel comfortable enough to wear whatever women's clothing they want; in the same way women can wear clothes traditionally intended for guys.

Really? So you would think it was great if all lads wore thongs and mini skirts?

Skinny jeans, immediately before the male (emo) teens started wearing them, were exclusively girl jeans. The first ones to do it were actually buying GIRL jeans from the girl's section of the store - because they didn't make skinny jeans for men.

Skinny jeans have been around since at least the 50's/60's on men. Elvis shocked the world with his Gyrations in skinny jeans - Good to see the same mentality is still alive in Ireland, circa 2012.

Things like this remind us what a backwards country we live in. It's embarrassing reading through this thread.

I personally can't stand wearing them; but I feel this is an important step in the right direction for gender equality.

Only a few decades ago we used to have 'Mens' clothing and 'Womens' clothing. Then women decided 'No, we want equal rights' and they started wearing Mens clothing. Now, society accepts that women can wear the same styles as men - they don't need to wear dresses and skirts - they can wear pants and jeans.

But Men didn't experience the same transition. Men still didn't wear women's clothing.

Now it's mainstream and guys have successful adopted a clothing style formerly only available for women.

This has nothing to do with them being female clothing. It's a fashion style.

In the 50s and 60s, the 'bad boy look' was to wear 'drainpipe' jeans (i.e. very tight jeans). This isn't a new style except that I think there is more 'room' around the crotch area nowdays.

In the 50s and 60s, the 'bad boy look' was to wear 'drainpipe' jeans (i.e. very tight jeans). This isn't a new style except that I think there is more 'room' around the crotch area nowdays.

So basically they weren't bad boys at all......just fellas with small knobs :p

• Advertisement

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Skinny jeans have been around since at least the 50's/60's on men. Elvis shocked the world with his Gyrations in skinny jeans - Good to see the same mentality is still alive in Ireland, circa 2012.

Things like this remind us what a backwards country we live in. It's embarrassing reading through this thread.

So the streets and pubs have been full of guys in skinny jeans since the 50s/60s? I dont remember tv presenters in skinny jeans in the 80s and 90s.

I reckon if you open the top button the pressure will ease and you'll start feeling better.

When people call something 'gay' and they are not referring to homosexuals but are showing distaste for something then that is, of course, offensive.

Some people are offended when referred to as a "perv" but not you. See? Everyone is different. What offends you may not necessarily offend anyone else.

So the streets and pubs have been full of guys in skinny jeans since the 50s/60s? I dont remember tv presenters in skinny jeans in the 80s and 90s.

I reckon if you open the top button the pressure will ease and you'll start feeling better.

Perhaps you would be happier in Iran? Skinny jeans are banned there.

No chance of catching the gay in Iran, so there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Perhaps you would be happier in Iran? Skinny jeans are banned there.

No chance of catching the gay in Iran, so there isn't.

Dont think anyone is seriously saying they should be banned....just that guys look like d*cks wearing them.

Slight over reaction much??

Some people are offended when referred to as a "perv" but not you. See? Everyone is different. What offends you may not necessarily offend anyone else.

I would be offended if someone called me a perv and I felt the context wasn't a joke... It's a stupid name, I agree. (Someone already took 'Lemon' and I was angry).

Some people aren't offended by racist remarks either but it doesn't make it right. Equating 'gay' with something you don't like implies that there is something wrong or bad about being gay. The word stemmed from gay meaning homosexual. Continue to use it if you want but it's distasteful and there will be people squirming silently as you do. I've had this conversation with people before and they agree it's a strange use of the word 'gay' - it's not just me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement