Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports in Drogheda?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 3:11am

Hey all,

Think I may have made a similar thread before, but don't think anything ever came of it?:confused:

Anyway, I'm interested in the ould photography and have been doing it for a while, but haven't done much at all in the way of sports photography.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on sports or locations or such around Drogheda that I could go to to get some decent photos? I don't mind if it's kids or adults (though I'd prefer adults, and competitive sports, where you could get some decent facial expressions and such).

Would Ideally like to find a place where I could contact the person/people in advance to arrange to take photos (I realise most people are usually delighted to see anyone with a 'big camera' showing up, but I hate the thoughts of just showing up somewhere unexpectedly. Not a very professional approach at all, in my opinion).

I'd be looking for anything really. Boxing, Rugby, Football, Basketball, any kind of fighting/karate/etc. (where people actually compete, not just stand around training, like early/beginner karate classes or such), etc., etc.

Anyone any ideas at all?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

every sunday and most saturdays the mdl league is on. games are usually around 2.30pm, sometimes there's an early kick off as well. I would say every soccer pitch in the town is used every sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

The running club meet twice a week as well as competing their web site is;

http://droghedaanddistrictac.com/?page_id=14

Boyne Rugby Club;

http://www.boynerfc.ie/

Basketball;

http://www.boynerfc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I know i'm stating the obvious KKV and i'm sure ye know yer job well but make sure you have permission or at least flagged yerself for any minor event - the club coach may do! Certainly in Dundalk all the paper's photogophers are already well known. Its a shame but look after no. 1

The D.I. surely would list upcoming sporting events. LCC website had a listing of clubs and societies that could be contacted directly, club websites may be attached too. Any governing body website could have schedules published.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

Get yerself up to Hunky Dory Park when the season starts up again.

Jesus, I don't get out much at all. Don't know any of these names or places! :eek:

Hunky Dorey park, that's across from the Lourdes, isn't it? That's the only name I recognise! :(

Rossin, the mdl league, where would this be taking place?

Rugby club could make for great shots, but to be honest, I wouldn't be mad into running (I covered a 10k before and the photos weren't too bad at all, I was happy with them, but they were all very same-ish, due to the nature of the sport, unfortunately).

Must start digging through the internet and get some contact information. I live in Rathmullen ( :( ) and the pitches beside me/the fire station are usually in use. I know a guy whose daughter (unsure of age, but around 10 I'd say) plays a sport up there. Not sure what it is, but I know it involves a ball (When passing by you'd often see the ball in the air and such, but not sure what the actual sport they're playing is) and then I'd sometimes see the other pitches (across from Aura) in use for football games, but I wouldn't just wander over with my camera, and I don't know anything about the games, so wouldn't know who to get in touch with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Lot's of martial arts clubs around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

if you were talking photos at an mdl game i can assure you that no one would care less :D

here is the mdl facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001178963205

they post fixtures on it, there will be a break for christmas no doubt though

There are lots of teams in drogheda playing every sunday, in rathmullen, moneymore, meadowview etc

Advertisement