Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Percentage of money from charity collections that go to the charity

Options
  • 17-12-2011 5:46am

I was in my local Tesco this evening and there was bag packing by a local school for a well known charity. The name of the charity was on the buckets that they were collecting for.

However on my way out, I overheard a very loud obnoxious girl proclaim to someone that part of the money was going to fund their transition year and 20% of the money they collected was for their trip to Barcelona!

I didn't see this written anywhere and I was not told before I donated that all the money was not going to the charity advertised on the signs. I know its a school but this has really irritated me and I feel like they are defrauding not only the public but also the charity that they were supposedly collecting for.

I normally wouldn't go to this much trouble but the charity that they were collecting for needs the money much more than TY students need to go to Barcelona. I'm planning on writing to the school but was just wondering is this type of thing illegal, are people only required to advertise where the majority of the money is going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

http://reader.mac.com/mobile/v1/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fradio1%2Fpodcast%2Fpodcast_liveline.xml

A recent text donate thing for focus ireland shows that it costs €2.50 but only a very small amount gees to the charity. The company doing the text service puca take a small amount which is ok but the mobile operators take a massive amount like €1.30 from €2.50 donation, they take more than the charity's get!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Over 10+ years ago I was working in the ISPCA, and a heap load of students came in looking for the chugging bottles. I said to a girl that it was great to see so many volunteers come in and give up their own time...She then informed me that they get 20% of any takings they make....She said she would make around 200 punts a day at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Very few people actually know this but generally approximately 30% only of the total raised amount eventually makes it to the end charity. This is with specific reference to the international charity organizations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when a "charity" is paying the chuggers €12-€15 per hour, their CEO a six figure salary, and a whole rake of admin staff inbetween, there's not gonna be much of your money left to go to those who need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

its not always the case though, some charities organise their own collections (bag packing, carol singing & the like) and 100% goes to the charity so I'd suggest you ask before you donate if you feel it might be an issue & look out for the words 'volunteer collector' on any jackets/vests the collectors are wearing. IMO the best way to donate to a charity is directly to them if they have a website or post in a few quid either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well to be honest I should of said so earlier, but my Daughter and a good few class mates from her school are doing Carol singing tomorrow in Jervis St, they are collecting for Debra Ireland. They are giving a few hours for nothing to collect for this Charity...So if you see them, give them a few coins....:)

Thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is a box in almost every church in the country for your local st Vincent de Paul. Why not stick a few euro in there and help out friends and neighbours instead of giving to people thousands of miles away who may see less than 20% of your donation.

Advertisement