Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holly with berries

Options
  • 17-12-2011 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

What do you have to do to grow holly with berrys? Is it a special type of holly or do you need 2 or more plants for polination?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A male and a female is needed. The female has the berries

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't assume you can tell whether the tree is male of female by the name:
    Be very careful about the names - Golden King is female and will have berries, while Silver Queen is male!!! Golden Milkboy is...... a male, while Silver Milkmaid is.....a female!

and Silver King is male...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Damascena

You will have to wait untill the spring when the holly is in flower to determine if it is male or female. Holly plants are dioecious meaning they have seperate male and female plants. You need one of each to get berries. The male flowers will differ from the female as they will have yellowish stamen protruding from the flower while the female will have an ovary. You can get good images on google displaying male and female flowers which will help you determine which you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Apparently this year was a bumper year for holly growers in Ireland. (according to rte) I was surprised to read that there is a big demand in France, Germany and Holland for holly, I had no idea there would be an export market for holly. I havent seen it sold in shops here much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Some holly trees near us have their berries on in October.........why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kerosene wrote: »
    Apparently this year was a bumper year for holly growers in Ireland. (according to rte) I was surprised to read that there is a big demand in France, Germany and Holland for holly, I had no idea there would be an export market for holly. I havent seen it sold in shops here much either.
    There is a big black market for holly trees, the thieves have been cutting whole trees down here and hauling them away.
    Holly is slow growing and provides food for birds in the lean months after the frosts have detoxified the berries.
    The last thing we need is this kind of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There is a big black market for holly trees, the thieves have been cutting whole trees down here and hauling them away.
    Holly is slow growing and provides food for birds in the lean months after the frosts have detoxified the berries.
    The last thing we need is this kind of carry on.

No, this report seemed to indicate there were legitimate growers throughout the country, who export annually to the continent. I was surprised there was a market abroad for holly. I think the growers who featured in the report were looking for some sort recognized body to approve or authenticise their product to avoid the problems you mentioned cjhaughey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Was this on rte news kerosense? (want to catch it on the iplayer if I can)

Advertisement