Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't open a website

• 17-12-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all,

Recently I got the new UPC router and everything is going great, but I can't seem to open one website that I go on.I can open it in work and on my phone but not on my pc, now that website recently moved servers would that be the problem?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Likely a DNS issue. Change to Google DNS servers or
    openDNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Are Google DNS servers good?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭PAU

Hi guys,

Sorry for the bump, but I still can't open the odd website, I tried Google DNS and still no good, any other ideas??

Cheers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have you got any firewall software or popup blockers or similar that might be blocking the site you are trying to get to.

Have you tried a google search for the site on the affected machine, and then gone to the link,

Have you tried clearing the browser cache, and clearing the DNS cache on the machine that's affected. This might be a factor, given that you were saying the site had recently moved.

Have you tried something like (windows) pathping or Ping plotter freeware to the site that's not responding.

If they don't go through, the only other thing I can think of is that for some reason, your ISP has blocked the site at their end.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've come across a few situations where a virus/malware infection had changed the windows hosts file so that the user and/or security software couldn't access various sites in a sort of reverse application of this procedure.

If nothing else works for you it might be worth opening up your hosts file in something like notepad++ and having a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement