Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Access Ranges

• 17-12-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Yeh it sucks not having your own car.... :( So are there any target shooting ranges out there that would be relatively close to either a bus or train station. THe one or two ranges I looked into so far seem to be out in the back arse of nowhere. Im just looking for a range that I can hop on a bus/train, get off and then be in walking distance...

BTW: Ideally I'm looking for centerfire or maybe even pistol just to try something new.... not mad pushed on rimfire, allthough Id consider anything really... beggars cant be choosers and all that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

You might care to check out the laws concerning the carriage of firearms on public transport in the Republic of Ireland.

Be interesting to see what you find out.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Gonzor

tac foley wrote: »
    You might care to check out the laws concerning the carriage of firearms on public transport in the Republic of Ireland.

tac

Well honestly I was under the impression that its banned.... so was just going to use club gear. Besides, Ive got a rifle that looks a bit like:

remington-700-sps-7387-500x500.jpg

and nothing like:

sh-rifles-air_clip_image001.jpg

I made the suggestion for you, as a local. to find out. In most countries there are serious limitations to the carriage of guns of any kind on public transport of any kind without prior arrangement. I was interested to know what those arrangements might be in the Republic of Ireland.

Since items that look like both of your images are classed as firearm in the RoI, I'm not sure what you mean by your comment.

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Gonzor wrote: »
    .............. close to either a bus or train station. ................... Im just looking for a range that I can hop on a bus/train, get off and then be in walking distance...

tac

It is illegal to carry a firearm on a bus under the Road traffic Act. Trains i do not know about for definite, but its a safe bet they have something similar.
    Even cased, etc makes no difference. Other than it being an offense to carry it on a bus, it also states that the firearm should be cased, and AWAY from the driver and passengers of the vehicle. So you're caught on both fronts.
    THe one or two ranges I looked into so far seem to be out in the back arse of nowhere.
    There is a good reason for that. Even with smallbore ranges most are purposely built well away from built up areas or high population densities to avoid noise complaints, objections to building, and for safety sake as ranges must have a danger zone incase of ricochet.
    The side effect of these "remote" building areas is a lack of easy accessibility.

The couple of ranges that may be close to a bus route would be college ranges, but again you face the problem of transporting your firearm, and then the fact that they would not be centrefire rated.

My only advice would be to make your way to a range close to you without your firearm. Talk to the range operators, and try make a few friends. See if there is someone that travels near to you or lives close to you that would be willing to accomodate you in transporting you and your rifle to the range.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I made the suggestion for you, as a local. to find out. In most countries there are serious limitations to the carriage of guns of any kind on public transport of any kind without prior arrangement. I was interested to know what those arrangements might be in the Republic of Ireland.

Since items that look like both of your images are classed as firearm in the RoI, I'm not sure what you mean by your comment.

tac

I didnt mean any offence by that last post... I was just joking that my rifles are probably not up to scratch compared to what all the big boys use and that Id probably be looking to borrow club gear, regardless of the legal situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Well honestly I was under the impression that its banned.... so was just going to use club gear. Besides, Ive got a rifle that looks a bit like:

remington-700-sps-7387-500x500.jpg

and nothing like:

sh-rifles-air_clip_image001.jpg

I have also a rifle similar to yours:D
    And i am a member of MNSCI.
    Mine is a 308 win,and is well able to shoot out 1000 yards on paper.
    Not a top of the range,but shoots under 1 moa at 100 yards.
    And its a great rifle to start off to with.
    And once you have gotten used to the rifle,the range,wind, weather conditions,and gotten some great advice from the lads up there, and the barrell is starting to wear out.
    you can change to a custombarrell,and you should be well able to play with the big boys then:D
    Wish you good luck:D:D

Ezridax wrote: »
    There is a good reason for that. Even with smallbore ranges most are purposely built well away from built up areas or.....

I understand that :) I wasnt really expecting to find one in the center of a city. But surely there is a range somewhere in Ireland that would be close enough to a bus route.

I dont think Im going to get a decent answer this way. How about I go to google and see can I conjure up a list of all the authorised ranges... post it back here and then people can help me eliminate them one by one. Right, Im off to see can I find a list- this might take a while :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There is a good reason for that. Even with smallbore ranges most are purposely built well away from built up areas or.....

I understand that :) I wasnt really expecting to find one in the center of a city. But surely there is a range somewhere in Ireland that would be close enough to a bus route.

I dont think Im going to get a decent answer this way. How about I go to google and see can I conjure up a list of all the authorised ranges... post it back here and then people can help me eliminate them one by one. Right, Im off to see can I find a list- this might take a while :rolleyes:

You have limited options for centrefire.rifle - only four or.five of.them and most if not all are out.in the middle of a bog

There are more rimfire rifle.ranges but not sure is many are near public transport (try www.nasrpc.ie)

There are air rifle ranges in dublin city but they are in the univeristies so you have to be or have attended the university to use them

not all ranges have club equipment, or indeed the storage for them.

Contact the ranges near you and ask them directly what they can do for you as most will not publish, nor appreciate you publishing, details which are not already on their webzite

B'Man

Gonzor wrote:
    I wasnt really expecting to find one in the center of a city. But surely there is a range somewhere in Ireland that would be close enough to a bus route
    As Bananaman has said and i already mentioned the picture you are showing of what your rifle looks like is a centerfire rifle. There are only a handful of authorised C/F ranges. As i said already;
    Ezridax wrote:
    ............and for safety sake as ranges must have a danger zone incase of ricochet
    That is the reason they are built well away from everyone/everything else. Smallbore ranges are more available, and might be closer to you hence more acessible, but still i do not know of any that are within a 5-10 minute from any major bus route.
    Plus as i've also said previously you cannot carry your firearm on a bus so traveling via this method to any range is out irrespective of how far or close they are. So this comment;
    regardless of the legal situation
    ..... will win you no favours.

How about you start by telling us what gun you have. Is it a rimfire or centrefire? Do you have a gun? The more details you provdie the better the answer. Plus look at the website that Bananaman gave. It has a list of ranges and locations, and will serve you better than Google.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

So this comment;

..... will win you no favours.

Lads Im not trying to make enemies of people here. Maybe Im reading it wrong, but the impression Im getting is people are getting annoyed with how I say things :(

I just want to clarify...

It doesnt matter to me what the legal situation is regarding firearms on public transport because whether its legal or illegal Im not going to be doing it. So I dont see why there is such a big deal being made out of it.

Yes I do have a centerfire. More than one. And rimfire.

Like I said, ideally I would love to find a centerfire range, but I realise Im not in a great position so will settle for anything really (except maybe air-rifle/pistol).

I did follow Banannamans links and I found a club that seems to fit the build quite well.... FTSC, the official website seems to be down at the min. So Im not too sure on the details, but looking at the map on the nasrpc website you might be able walk it in 45 mins or so from the train station.

Failing that I was told this morning by my RFD that there is a decent club (not centerfire) in wilkinstown co Meath. But seemingly you have to get a formal invite and you get that by taking a beginners course.... however much that will cost :rolleyes:

And like I said Im not trying to piss people off or slag anyone or anything by posting here.... if anything Id hope to make a few friends :)

• Advertisement

Lads Im not trying to make enemies of people here. Maybe Im reading it wrong, but the impression Im getting is people are getting annoyed with how I say things :(
    I just want to clarify...

It doesnt matter to me what the legal situation is regarding firearms on public transport because whether its legal or illegal Im not going to be doing it. So I dont see why there is such a big deal being made out of it.
    The worst thing about forums is the context of a statment is lost. So when i read the piece i quoted above i thought you meant you don't care about the legal position of things. I know its jumping to conclusions so for that i apologise.
    If anyone here can help you, myself included, we will gladly do so.
    Yes I do have a centerfire. More than one. And rimfire.

Like I said, ideally I would love to find a centerfire range, but I realise Im not in a great position so will settle for anything really (except maybe air-rifle/pistol).
    Thats of great help for us to narrow down your choices. This is what i meant by as much info as you can give. Then there can be no misunderstandings.
    I did follow Banannamans links and I found a club that seems to fit the build quite well.... FTSC, the official website seems to be down at the min. So Im not too sure on the details, but looking at the map on the nasrpc website you might be able walk it in 45 mins or so from the train station.

Failing that I was told this morning by my RFD that there is a decent club (not centerfire) in wilkinstown co Meath. But seemingly you have to get a formal invite and you get that by taking a beginners course.... however much that will cost :rolleyes:
    Bananaman may be best suited to answering questions on certains ranges, and failing that there are usually a few members of most ranges lurking somewhere. They can be pointed in the direction of this thread, and hopefully help you out.
    And like I said Im not trying to piss people off or slag anyone or anything by posting here.... if anything Id hope to make a few friends :)
    Again that could be my bad. Misunderstanding your intent. I would never refuse help where i can, and nor would any of the lads/ladies of the forum.

Now thats all settled i'll step back, and let someone more in touch with the clubs/ranges you mentioned do the talking.:cool::)

I didnt mean any offence by that last post... I was just joking that my rifles are probably not up to scratch compared to what all the big boys use and that Id probably be looking to borrow club gear, regardless of the legal situation.

Hey, I'm a big boy, and I'm pretty certain that I've got a few guns that would have the serious shooters here peeing their britches laffin' on seeing them.

However, they all do me for what I use them for, and I wouldn't have them many other way.

tac, stuck over here, instead of over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I dont think FTSC (Fingal) has a range but is only a club

Unfortunately your options in North Dublin or Meath are very limited

I think (but am not sure) that Wiljinstown is Air Rifle and Air Pistol only - Spark is a member so should be able to put you straight there

B'Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Wilkinstown is airgun only alright. Great range and setup (Spent the day training there today) but if you're looking to shoot centrefire, you'll need to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wilkinstown is airgun only alright. Great range and setup (Spent the day training there today) but if you're looking to shoot centrefire, you'll need to look elsewhere.
    Or even smallbore really - a .22 round on the airgun range would go through target, backstop, back wall, hedge, and make a good attempt at the neighbours' wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Bananaman wrote: »
    I dont think FTSC (Fingal) has a range but is only a club

Unfortunately your options in North Dublin or Meath are very limited

B'Man

Courtlough has a 50m and 100m .22 range alongwith a large variety of clay disciplines.

Club guns are available (certain criteria to be met).

10 minute walk from bus Eireann stop. (route 101). Buses every hour.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

I have also a rifle similar to yours:D
    And i am a member of MNSCI.
    Mine is a 308 win,and is well able to shoot out 1000 yards on paper.

Hi N.V.

was looking at your rifle in the gunsmiths last week ... and it don't look much like that any more ... sweet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hi N.V.

was looking at your rifle in the gunsmiths last week ... and it don't look much like that any more ... sweet ;)

Thanks mate
    Yes its my newest edition to the family,tikka 6.5x55,abit modified though:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

only slightly modified :D:D:D

Advertisement