Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

better paid?teacher or accountant

• 17-12-2011 12:39pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭

which is the better pay a secondary school teacher or an accountant. im considering being a maths or science teacher probably physics but im also wondering would it be more rewarding and not as much stress to become and accountant.

i know an accountant who is earning 60k plus and is has a permanent job. i know every accountant isnt quaranteed to get this salary but how much would a standard secondary lvl teacher get. i would love to teach and work with young people in a friendly rewarding atmosphere and spread my knowledge. it certainly seems more attractive than a accountant but there financial rewards are greater.

which is the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Depends on how hard you work at it to be honest. And I know its a tired cliché but you're more likely to become successful and work harder at something you LIKE doing rather that something you decide to do purely for financial gain which in the long run WILL lead to better financial situation.

God thats such a cop out answer but I've seen people try to go for jobs guaranteed to pay alot of cash and quit after a year because they can't stand the work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The pay for teaching has nothing to do with how hard you work. I wish it had.

People teaching classes of well-behaved, motivated, literate children get paid exactly the same as someone who has unmotivated, illiterate and/or non-English speakers.

Permanent jobs in teaching have all but disappeared. Most new teachers start on a couple of hours a week in a school somewhere and are lucky if they get a full hours contract within 8 years. Many more leave the country.

If your priority in choosing a job is money, then you should be an accountant. If you really want to be a teacher though, the fact that there are no jobs and any there are pay very little will not stop you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you cant decide who to go and study for .. may be you want to check out for www.[snip].ie may be you want to be a TV presenter or a model or an actor! This school will help you a lot if you want to be in SHOW BIZ ! Good luck!
    Somebody who wants to be Maths/Physics teacher or an Accountant is not likely to forego a proper education for some "TAKE FOUR CLASSES AND BECOME SUPER SUCCESSFUL" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Just to avoid being left on the dole being an accountant is far more viable
    You can get caught in the trap of many positions being too senior or too junior in accounting but you're still on a great wage, in the future the teaching salaries will have to be stripped bare as the demand for teachers rises and resources decrease but if you will have more satisfaction from teaching it is worth it, either way you will have disposable income to have your nice things, holidays and hopefully security but accounting seems more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Somebody who wants to be Maths/Physics teacher or an Accountant is not likely to forego a proper education for some "TAKE FOUR CLASSES AND BECOME SUPER SUCCESSFUL" nonsense.

Fúck University I'm going there! €20 for a career education, what a bargain.

Oh wait it's only for women:(. My hopes dashed...A man can dream. Sigh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If you cant decide who to go and study for .. may be you want to check out for www.[snip].ie may be you want to be a TV presenter or a model or an actor! This school will help you a lot if you want to be in SHOW BIZ ! Good luck!

Boards.ie is not a promotional platform, especially concerning the nature of the original post I'll assume this is a copy and paste so please stop spamming it actually damages the reputation of your business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I think you might enjoy yourself more as a teacher, I would, and I think there's loads of benefits to take from it, accounting can be a very boring profession. The pay and likelihood of employment are almost certainly better doing accounting but I would always advise someone to do something they enjoyed rather than go for the money.
    I would certainly consider teaching in the future, but after doing work experience as an accountant I'm ruling that one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

If you do a physics/maths degree in college both options, amongst many more, will remain open to you giving you a good four years to decide what you really want.

Advertisement