Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender Discrimination when applying for work

Options
  • 17-12-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am a male and I am applying in a lot of places for part time work. In a few shops now ( Grocery, Coffee ) I have seen advertisments for part time staff. I enquired about them but later was told that they would prefer girls for these jobs. Is it me or is this really wrong? I understand in some places females are obviously needed but for groceries & coffee shops, it seems wrong to me? I would like your advice & opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sell yourself more
    The girls may do a great job but you can do everything they do and more

Can the girls carry bag of coals out to Mrs Murphy's car or bring in the peat briquettes at the end of the day?
    Can they reorganize the stockroom? Maybe they can but you can do it faster

When I was barman I was paid the same as the girls but it was me pumping sweat bringing up stock from downstairs and struggling with wheelie bins of empties back down the stairs. I lost two stone over summer lol.
    Just accepted, just the way it was

So sell yourself OP, not sure how I'd word it to the owner but for a grocery shop a hardworking young lad won't be short of offers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It is illegal. Complain to the Equality Authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

if you can get it in writing, hold them to ransom.

Otherwise, there's not much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sell yourself more
    The girls may do a great job but you can do everything they do and more

Can the girls carry bag of coals out to Mrs Murphy's car or bring in the peat briquettes at the end of the day?
    Can they reorganize the stockroom? Maybe they can but you can do it faster

What rubbish. Sure, SOME "girls" might be that useless, many are not.

OP, you're right, it's totally illegal. You can complain, but it probably won't get you anywhere - your word against theirs - unless you can get some proof. (IMHO, it would be worth complaining about any employer who is so stupid that they give you this proof.)

Your time may be better off looking for jobs with employers who aren't so stupid as to hire people based on whether they have tits or not - this "attractiveness" factor is what you may be competing against, rather than on-the-job competency.

Advertisement