Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Settings?

Options
  • 17-12-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place

I have 2 domains with letshost and 1 hosting, Im struggling to get the dns of the second site to go onto the hosting of the first site if that makes sense?

any help would be much appreciated!

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you looking for an alias (where both sites are showing the exact same content)?

In this case, your nameservers for both domains are the same (provided by your host) and one domain is set up properly as a domain and the second is set up as an alias.

Maybe ask your host for more info if this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i think you might mean having 2 different websites sharing the same server?
    to do this you can add a .htaccess file to the server with some directives inside. they basically check which of the 2 URLS are requested, and directs the users request to the correct content directory (google has plenty of easy tutorials for this)

however your hosting provider may restrict this

if i misunderstood, then kbannon has good advice above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 roadstalker

You got two ways to do that!

1. DNS level redirection!

CNAME record

DomainA IN A 192.168.0.1
    DomainB IN CNAME DomainA

DomainB is redirected to DomainA!

2. Apache redirection

Rewrite rules:
    Forcing All Traffic To A New Domain