Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poems with passages referencing Iapetus

Options
  • 17-12-2011 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was hoping someone might be able top help me out of a bind. I'm trying to find some passages from poetry that make refernce to the Greek Titan or ancient ocean Iapetus. I've tried all the old reliables Homor and Milton. Can anyone help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Hi,
    I was hoping someone might be able top help me out of a bind. I'm trying to find some passages from poetry that make refernce to the Greek Titan or ancient ocean Iapetus. I've tried all the old reliables Homor and Milton. Can anyone help.

The titan Iapetus is briefly mentioned in The Iliad. It's in Book 8, line 554 of Robert Fagle's translation. The passage runs "You and your anger -rage away / I care nothing for that. Not even / if you go plunging down to the pit of the earth and the sea / where Cronus and Iapetus make their beds of pain"

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Iapetus is mentioned in Hessiod's Work and Days I've absolutely no idea of the references or anything but I'm pretty sure Iapetus is mentioned in relation to Prometheus (Hessiod says Prometheus was the son of Iapetus).

Advertisement