Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esb rates!

• 17-12-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all im sure this has been posted before ove been searching but just cant find the exact answer! I got a sickening esb bill yesterday way more than my usual! I am on just a domestic trarrif so it says on bill anyway, im just wondering on this tariff does the price of electricity go down in the night? Say if i had the washing machine tumble dryer on at night instead of day would that be cheaper as aposed to having them on during the day? I know all about the night meters etc i dont want to get it installed or anything, I was just wondering on the domestic tariff is the electricity just the same price per unit 24/7 or does it go down at any stage during the day or night, im just pulling my hair out over this bill need to start finding ways to save on electricty, i was told before the units get cheaper in the evening so was going to have all the machines on then but no point in doing it if its not true! :) thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The cost of generation is lower at night but unless you're on a Nightsaver tariff you'll be charged the same unit price 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lendaredev

Heroditas wrote: »
    The cost of generation is lower at night but unless you're on a Nightsaver tariff you'll be charged the same unit price 24/7.

so on my domestic rate my electricity is the same price 24/7 so no need to keeping the chores till night time yeah?! its the same price at any hour!!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

correct
    if you dont have a dual tarriff meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

On the other hand dual tariff meters dont normally benefit from the price cuts (when they happen) to the standard rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

lendaredev wrote: »
    I am on just a domestic trarrif so it says on bill anyway, im just wondering on this tariff does the price of electricity go down in the night?

Hi lendaredev,

As Heroditas has correctly advised above, you would need to be on a Nightsaver tariff to benefit from using your electricity at night (specifically in the hours 11pm to 8am in wintertime, and 12am to 9am in summertime).

The Nightsaver meter is free to install, but should you wish to revert back to the 24hr meter there would be a charge (details here).
    lendaredev wrote: »
    im just pulling my hair out over this bill need to start finding ways to save on electricty

We have a Reduce Your Costs section on our website designed to help you cut down on your energy usage. It includes tips on lighting, heating, a 3D Tour of an Energy Efficient House, and our Appliance Calculator. The latter is very popular and is now available as an iPhone/Android App.
    cookie1977 wrote:
    dual tariff meters dont normally benefit from the price cuts (when they happen) to the standard rates

While you would need to use about a quarter of your electricity within the designated night-rate hours to benefit from the Nightsaver, it wouldn't be correct to say that dual tariff meters don't benefit from price cuts to the standard rates. Our price plans are applicable to Standard and Nightsaver customers, with the same level of discounts available to both. See the Price Plan section of our website for details.

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
Advertisement