Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options open to tenant once property has poor living conditions

Options
  • 17-12-2011 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for advice and options open to me prior to sending an email to complain to the property agent looking after the lease.

I moved into my current apartment with a friend at the end of September and signed a 6 month contract. I submitted a snag list after a week to the agency to cover my back since there was no such thing done before I moved in. It wasn't acted on and I didn't follow it up since nothing was essential to us at the time.

Over the last few weeks with the cold setting in, it has been poor dealing with the conditions. The property is an old building converted to apartments ten years ago and the heat retention is awful. Worse again is there was constant drafts coming in around the old large wooden windows of the living room and my bedroom mainly around the windows and I sealed these as best I could with masking tape recently as a temporary measure since I was busy with work and study but it has only helped a bit. We still need to keep the heat on the whole time to maintain heat in the living room and the only warm place in my bedroom is under the sheet and two duvets I use. Some heaters are not working and some of the remaining have bad output. Have spent money on a fan heater for my room recently also. What is the best way to approach this and what options do I have open to me?

Also, should a hoover be provided with a property that is mainly carpet?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

thefa wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for advice and options open to me prior to sending an email to complain to the property agent looking after the lease.

I moved into my current apartment with a friend at the end of September and signed a 6 month contract. I submitted a snag list after a week to the agency to cover my back since there was no such thing done before I moved in. It wasn't acted on and I didn't follow it up since nothing was essential to us at the time.

Over the last few weeks with the cold setting in, it has been poor dealing with the conditions. The property is an old building converted to apartments ten years ago and the heat retention is awful. Worse again is there was constant drafts coming in around the old large wooden windows of the living room and my bedroom mainly around the windows and I sealed these as best I could with masking tape recently as a temporary measure since I was busy with work and study but it has only helped a bit. We still need to keep the heat on the whole time to maintain heat in the living room and the only warm place in my bedroom is under the sheet and two duvets I use. Some heaters are not working and some of the remaining have bad output. Have spent money on a fan heater for my room recently also. What is the best way to approach this and what options do I have open to me?

Also, should a hoover be provided with a property that is mainly carpet?

Thanks in advance.
    #
    As you have had no response, call Threshold and ask their advice. Much of this place is illegal and they will assist in this. Often a call or letter from an official third party will work amazingly well.

And maybe move!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Did you get a BER cert before you moved in? That would ave given some indication of the costs of heating. Non functioning radiators is a no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

If your apartment does not come up to the housing standards quoted below write to the agent and give them 7 days to rectify the matter (obviously date the letter and keep a copy in case it is needed for a claim with the PRTB). Also advise them that failure to rectify the problems within the time will render the landlord in breach of his obligations and that you will be entitled to break the lease. Also, you will be making a claim with the PRTB for damages.
    HOUSING (STANDARDS FOR RENTED HOUSES) REGULATIONS 2008
    and the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses)(Amendment) Regulations 2009.

7. Heating Facilities
    7. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a habitable room shall contain:
    (a) a permanently fixed appliance or appliances capable of providing effective heating,
    (b) suitable and adequate facilities for the safe and effective removal of fumes and other products of combustion to the external air.
    (2) The operation of any appliance referred to in sub-article (1)(a) shall be capable of being independently manageable by the tenant.
    I submitted a snag list after a week to the agency to cover my back since there was no such thing done before I moved in. It wasn't acted on and I didn't follow it up since nothing was essential to us at the time.
    And herein lies your main problem - you did not set a time limit for the work to be done and so it has just dragged on and on. The law requires that you give the landlord "a reasonable time" which would usually be about 7 - 14 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

thefa wrote: »
    Worse again is there was constant drafts coming in around the old large wooden windows of the living room and my bedroom mainly around the windows and I sealed these as best I could with masking tape recently as a temporary measure since I was busy with work and study but it has only helped a bit.
    Pop down to your local DIY shop and get a "Expanding Foam Filler".
    Info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoZz1R_Che0

Now, I agree that the landlord should do this, but if they don't, maybe do it yourself. When finished, sand it down, and paint the wall.

By the way: is there much black mould on the walls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

odds_on wrote: »
    If your apartment does not come up to the housing standards quoted below write to the agent and give them 7 days to rectify the matter (obviously date the letter and keep a copy in case it is needed for a claim with the PRTB). Also advise them that failure to rectify the problems within the time will render the landlord in breach of his obligations and that you will be entitled to break the lease. Also, you will be making a claim with the PRTB for damages.

And herein lies your main problem - you did not set a time limit for the work to be done and so it has just dragged on and on. The law requires that you give the landlord "a reasonable time" which would usually be about 7 - 14 days.

+1 and I would break it. LL isn't going to spend the money to make that place warm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement