Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber frame,,,,poorly insulated,,,,,help

• 17-12-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

i live in a 5 year old timber frame 1 1/2 storey house.
    it is bloody freezing all the time, no matter how much heat you have on.
    it is a fairly draughty house, you can feel cold air coming from around all electrical fittings.
    i get the feeling that the house has been built and insulated to a very poor standard.

is there a pumped insulation that can be pumped into the cavity, or is there another option,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Sounds like airtightness is your problem, rather than insulation. I'm not aware of any simple retrofit solutions. Someone else might know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

i definitely have air-tightness issues, but how do you sort them apart fom going round and sealing every gap

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

i live in a 5 year old timber frame 1 1/2 storey house.
    it is bloody freezing all the time, no matter how much heat you have on.
    it is a fairly draughty house, you can feel cold air coming from around all electrical fittings.
    i get the feeling that the house has been built and insulated to a very poor standard.

is there a pumped insulation that can be pumped into the cavity, or is there another option,
    can you give us a bit more detail
    1. what is the wall build-up ie is there a brick/block outer finish? if so, then your best option is to remove the plasterboard inside and insulated/ seal. if its some sort of external cladding that can be removed then working from the outside might be worth considering..
    2. is there a suspended timber floor? if so start with that and the attic as there relevative low cost to retrofit with insulation and airitight/VB layer
    3. if your a diy enthusiast get yourself some silcone and start squirting, use suitable fire resistant caulks for the electric box etc
    i feel your pain - the truth is hard to take,but for many in your situation tio really solved the problem, its a major retro-fit of floor,wall and ceiling with insulation and air-tightness tape including window replacement or at least their seals..
    see here for best practice

and here for DOE details

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

having read all of your links, i am going to buy a few boxes of caulk and make a start one room at a time, after the holidays.

thanks brian

Advertisement