Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea weed / KELP

Options
  • 17-12-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Does any body know how long it takes for sea kelp to rot away if berried in a trench that i dug and then coverd over with all the soil out of the trench . Yes i know there are loads of factors like time of year etc but just wondering if anybody has a ball park idea .

Trench was maybe 80-90 cm deep and same width

I coverd this trench up 4 weeks ago and plan to use it in the spring .

Well there was loads of fresh manure say 20 cm and then the grass sod on top of this and then filled with kelp to top squashed in and then covered with the soil that made a mount . Since then the mount has seamed to start settling but still not level , maybe 20 cm above grass line .

I hope all this hardwork will payoff.,

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

i was told recently that..it's better to let seaweed rot above ground..as it breaks down faster than when buried...if you spread cover your plot around oct-nov it will be well rotted by planting time(march-april). why did you bury it in the trench? is it for peas? spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

No its for hedging as soil isnt great . Was planning to throw some kelp also above ground this week to rot all the way from top down . Ye it makes sense for rotting above but wanted loads of kelp and new the soil needs a big help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

i added a generous layer of sea lettuce to the garden this week..then covered that with brown seaweed. there's loads of the stuff where im living. it's the best thing around when it comes to growing veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Did ye rinse out all d salt ? If not the salt will deplete d soil of many of d micro nutrients

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

There's a hot debate about rinsing or not, but looking into it the general consensus seems to be that there is no need. There is not enough salt present to cause harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I live by the sea. Never heard of anyone rinsing seaweed around here. Not saying that it is or isn't beneficial but I don't know of anyone that does. Mind you, I'd probably get locked up by the men in white coats if I suggested it :D

She is a big organic gardener and promotes sea kelp and some extra products thats she blends organically etc According to her she never washes the salt etc

http://www.plantea.com/seaweed-kelp.htm

But i dont think it can do any harm to wash of . But seams like to much hard work etc

johngalway wrote: »
    I live by the sea. Never heard of anyone rinsing seaweed around here. Not saying that it is or isn't beneficial but I don't know of anyone that does. Mind you, I'd probably get locked up by the men in white coats if I suggested it :D

Ye john galway . Thats what reminded me of seakelp usage when i was watching on TV how they do it in you r part of the world now for many generations .

Advertisement